Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2stargirl

Swine Flu and the Tour

Anyone think that the Swine Flu epidemic will affect U2's touring plans (and ours)???? Cases have shown up in several states including Canada andAustralia. The number of cases are likely to grow in the next several months. Scary.

Diane

Possibly U2 undercooking the meat are partly to blame.hee,hee,

It is a little scary, but I don't think it will affect the tour or anything, other than possibly, if it's not resolved, no dates in Mexico (just cuzthats where it originated and the most severe cases have been there).

Yes, I do believe it will cause some issues with this tour. The reason is basic. The virus is mutating and will become stronger, that's how it has gonefrom pig to human contact, now human to human contact. By the fall there is no telling how bad it will be. Travel into and out of countries is alreadyaffected, travel for non essential trips to Mexico is being frowned on (of course U2 fans would think it is essential LOL). They are getting ready to closeMexico City now. Bottom line: F*CK YEAH IT'S GONNA CAUSE SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE TOUR. Go see U2 pick up the Piggy Flu. Die of pneumonia. No thanks. *Wahinejumps up and down yelling I knew there was a reason I didn't buy tickets to this tour*

here we go again yet another "pandemic" thats gonna wipe everyone off the face of the earth just like hn51 and avian flu..........ebola and e-coliand any other thing you can think of......really we should all have snuffed it by now.

typical kneejerk reaction to things by the media as usual.

and if this does turn out to be a major thing then u2 and the tour will be the last thing on my mind im not that selfish, protecting my family will come first.

Oh well thanks for pointing that out taquitos!

I had hope you know?

Well they just anounced that no one is going to school

right now my friends are anouncing a gethering to drink and celebrate the international design day!

Someone said alcohol kills bacterias right?

Oh, I didn't mean it to be rude, saying that's where it started. I think it's silly to worry if this will affect the tour in any way, becauseI'm sure it won't. Hopefully, of course, this doesn't getout of control and no more people are affected by it.

And wasn't SARS a big concern around the time of the last tour (or was sars before that, i dunno)? Chill, everyone. The word is that there is no reason foralarm. This stuff always gets blown out of proportion.

It can be the press, it can be massive histeria

But as long as my parents are cool and my friends want to party

then it's all ok.

Remember positive thoughts are even more powerful than negative ones.

Everything's gonna be all right.

I just spoke with a doctor about it (he's one of my neighbors) and I guess the problem at this moment is how many people already are in weakened conditionswith immune defencies, etc. The reason it is a pandemic is because it is a brand new disease, never before seen and this virus has characterists that aredifferent from the regular flu. He is really concerned. I agree with trying to think positive as well.

hi!!! i live in mexico city and we don't know what is going to happend. The schools are close. the streets are empty. the city was more like a ghost townthis weekend. no cinemas, no spots, no concerts... and panic is the most terrible. i don't know if this desease will affect the tour in other countries,but in mine... well the are no dates for mexico yet. para los que hablan español... el chiste de moda es... que le dijo méxico a la influenza?... mira comotiemblo. pa colmo, temblo en la ciudad

wahine wrote:

I just spoke with a doctor about it (he's one of my neighbors) and I guess the problem at this moment is how many people already are in weakened conditions with immune defencies, etc. The reason it is a pandemic is because it is a brand new disease, never before seen and this virus has characterists that are different from the regular flu. He is really concerned. I agree with trying to think positive as well.

actually, we are about due for a pandemic, also those who will be affected are young healthy individuals, not the weak; pandemics are notdarwinian; they happen on a long cycle, we are also due for various earthquakes (if geysers start more,that is a sign of increased plate shifts). main thing isenjoy life and don't get mixed up in crowds of people with high fevers, malaise, and diarrhea. i doubt any shows being canceled. remember wash your hands!

cocolisomx wrote:

well the are no dates for mexico yet. para los que hablan español... el chiste de moda es... que le dijo méxico a la influenza?... mira como tiemblo. pa colmo, temblo en la ciudad

LOL, typical Mexican humor!!!!

As for the flu, the virus has already spread. So the incubation period is over and the symptoms have started to show in those affected. The important thing nowis to quarantine those that have it so it does not spread more.

Considering that those that are ill were on planes, it is imperative that the authorities release the flight information of the places the ill people were on,so those on them can take precautions and make sure to avoid large gatherings, and also so they can identify the illness in themselves before it progresses.This is something that I see lacking, or at least not being reported.

Other than that, common sense, such as wearing a mask, washing hands, not touching your eyes (major entry point of bacteria/virus on humans), disinfection ofdoor knobs and handles (major foci of bacteria/viruses), and avoidance of large gatherings in areas where the illness is known to be should help.

Baja

jajaja esta muy bueno tu chiste cocoliso!!!

yo creo que entre menos se preocupe la gente y mejor este preparada ya lo de mas viene sobrando.

Por cierto dicen que la influenza tiene que ver con los brotes de riketsia aqui en Mxli, investigalo si quieres, son los mismos sintomas.

"They say the riketsia epidemic we had in Mexicali about a month ago has something to do with the flu

same symptoms and everything."

If its crazy nut scientists that start up these spontaneous pandemics just for a number of reasons whether it be mistake or diliberateeither way I say start juicing up on olive leaf tonic or echinacea or something , just hope your not currently on antibiotics so you got your feet plantedfirmly to begin with......

By the time the tour starts, July, things should be in control. As of now it might be blown out of proportion by the media, but its better to be ready forthis, than be sorry afterwards. Just like a hurricane, preventing is the way to go... I just hope things get better for the world.

Haha, I think we should all relax. I thought this was the STUPIDEST thread until I opened it, and then my mind started spinning with thoughts of bans of largepublic gatherings and closing of international borders...AH! I'm sure it will be fine. If we get closer to tour time and things are getting worse, THEN wecan all start running around screaming and flailing our arms :P

Oh Mick, don't you even go there!

I'm sick now....but sick of everyone talking only about swine flu, and in the news, the ENTIRE HOUR is dedicated to swine flu, nothing else! Somethingsmells funny here and it's not just me this time! my mum also thinks the same, we're not the only ones who noticed how media only focused on one issuesince last week and how the price of vitamins and ither medication went up to the ceiling.

I've had it!

I'm off to kiss everyone!

7 people just Died in Mexico for that Viruses It's a lie more than deaths, just the news and TV bring panic to the people, here In my country many Doctorsconfuse the swine flu with other chest sick

Virtual Worlds and Virtual Workspaces are one of the best current solutions to avoiding the spread of pandemics. (Anyone guess which technology I am a fanof?!) laugh.gif

And, if the concert is threatened, there is always the possibility of a live virtual performance! Here is a link to something a group did in SecondLife withthe Vertigo Tour a few years ago

. The technology has advanced considerably since that time. This is a re-creation and not live,but musicians perform live all of the time in virtual worlds. Suzanne Vega was one of the first main-acts to do so.

You might also take an interest in my virtual world produced film, a link to which can be found in my profile.

Currently, I am involved with a NPR-style news, business and analysis show that broadcasts from a live audience in secondlife out to the web and soon intoother virtual platforms as well. It is a venture backed by Cornell University Johnson School of Management and has just been acquired by a Canadiancommunications firm and wiill be re-launchng with its new season next week with a live interview with Mark Kingdon, CEO of Linden Lab (the creators ofsecondlife.) This season will be expanding to cover issues involving policy and virtual worlds, enterprise adoption, economics, social impact, educationaladoption of the technologies, among other themes.

There is a "fake" bono in Secondlife already--a role-player, it is said. I have yet to bump into him at a cyberbar (as far as I know!) :D