Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

u2bum

wedding song - help needed

i need suggestions to an appropriate father daughter wedding dance song...... anyone out there?? not too mushy.. no country music.. was

hoping for u2.. but can;t think of anything appropriate besides sweetest thing..

Hello to all my old mates by the way! i'm back! :)

My wife and I's first dance was "Ive Got You Under My Skin" with Sinatra and Bono. She came down the aisle to "All I want is You"entering the room just as the second verse began.... magic.

Thanks peeps, keep posting.. i'm going a bit mad... and i feel horrid for even putting it out there, seeing that music is something i hold close to myheart.

I'm blocked - all i can think of is depressing music! (which i love best) :)

I'm going with 2 Live Crew's "Face Down, @ss Up" for mine. ;-)

U2 is a pretty tough one for weddings since their songs tend not to be "I love you;" they tend to go more for the "I love you, but" vein.Gives their songs more of an edge, but make them nearly impossible to work as wedding songs (I remember Bono made a joke about that when I saw them in NJ onthe Vertigo tour). One that may be a workable one may be REM's "At My Most Beautiful." Not sure it's an easy one to dance to, but thesentiment would be right for a wedding. Otherwise go with a classic from Sinatra, like someone else suggested; can't go wrong with the Chairman of theBoard. I also kinda like the idea of using Louis Armstrong's La Vie En Rose; romantic but pretty sap-free...

If those suggestions fail go with an AC/DC song since most of their songs are about relations between males and females....

Here are some ideas for Daughter/Father songs for your wedding:

I love the song "I'll stand by you" by The Pretenders. Take a look at the lyrics to see if you agree.

A friend of mine always said that she would use "Landslide" by Stevie Nicks

The song Daughter by Loudon Wainwright III is now best known from the "Knocked Up" soundtrack. It's not too fast, not too slow, and it honors allthe things Dad has taught you.

Sammi

Is 'Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car' too fast or odd for a Father/Daughter song?

I'd vote for all i want is you....other than u2 well i cant really think of it...

you guys are about to get married and don't have a song?

SammiB wrote:

Is 'Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car' too fast or odd for a Father/Daughter song?

HAHAHAHA! LMAO!!

Looks like folks are forgetting you asked for a Father/Daugher dance - LOL

"All I want is you" would be a little creepy :)

Here's a few for you...

"Someone to watch over me" - lots of artists have covered it

"The way you look tonight" - again, lots of folks have covered it

"Things we've handed down" - Marc Cohn (this is the song I danced to with my father 9 years ago)

Cheers,

Anna

I believe when Bono wrote Original of the Species, he had Edge's daughter in mind, but I could be mistaken. I thought I read it in U2 byU2. He generalized it for public consumption. Not sure how that one would fly...check it out though.

flagrassa wrote:

I believe when Bono wrote
Original of the Species,
he had Edge's daughter in mind, but I could be mistaken. I thought I read it in
U2 on U2.
He generalized it for public consumption. Not sure how that one would fly...check it out though.

Think he wrote OOTS for his own daughters.....

Same as Kite....

Q Magazine November 2004

The Edge: "The last time I cried was listening to that song. It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughterHolly. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself. He probably won'tagree, but I think it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20."

August 25, 2001

U2 Has Luck Of The Irish For Biggest Ireland Gig

8.25.01_tn.jpg

8.25.01 - Reuters

By Michael Roddy

SLANE, Ireland (Reuters) - It was a beautiful day, and night too, as Irish supergroup U2 brought its world tour back home on Saturday for an emotion-chargedconcert before its biggest audience ever in Ireland. "Thank you so much for coming out," lead singer Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, told80,000 adoring fans packed into a huge field beside Slane Castle on the Boyne River north of Dublin, under clear night skies. The mostly young audience wentwild as the supergroup launched into some of its biggest hits, including "It's a Beautiful Day," "End of the World" and the political"Sunday, Bloody Sunday" about killings in Northern Ireland in 1972.

The most poignant moment came when Bono sang "Kite," a song he hasdedicated to his father, Bob Hewson, a retired postal clerk who died on Tuesday after a long illness.

"I want to thank God for taking my old man away from his sickness and his tired old body and giving him a new one," Bono said before launchinginto the ballad, which includes the lyrics: "Who's to know when the time has come around/ Don't want to see youcry/I know this is not goodbye."

He may have wrote in for his daughters but it seems more poignant as a song for hisfather.

See you in Vegas Toddv!!

I'm glad Fortitude got my joke. I was trying to get the thread back on 'Father/Daughter dance' track.

Cheers,

Sammi

annahennessy wrote:

Looks like folks are forgetting you asked for a Father/Daugher dance - LOL

"All I want is you" would be a little creepy
:)

Oooh crap, didn't catch the father-daughter part.

Warren Zevon's Keep Me In Your Heart would be a great one (beautifully written tune,very heartfelt and written for his grandhild), but it's sodepressing (he wrote it knowing he was dying and not sure if he'd live to see his grandchild's birth) your guests may be jumping out the windows by theend of it.

I'd look through Van Morrison's catalog; he's bound to have a few good ones in there.

Butterfly Kisses- by Bob Carlisle

LYRICS>>>

There's two things I know for sure:

She was sent here from heaven and she's

daddy's little girl.

As I drop to my knees by her bed at night

She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and

I thank god for all the joy in my life

Oh, but most of all

For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;

sticking little white flowers all up in her

hair; "Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."

"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."

In all that I've done wrong I know I must

have done something right to deserve a hug

every morning and butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet 16 today

She's looking like her mama a little more everyday

One part woman, the other part girl.

To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls

Trying her wings out in a great big world.

But I remember

Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer; sticking

little white flowers all up in her hair.

"You know how much I love you, Daddy, But if you

don't mind I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time."

With all that I've done wrong I must have done

something right to deserve her love every morning

and butterfly kisses at night.

All the precious time

Like the wind, the years go by.

Precious butterfly.

Spread your wings and fly.

She'll change her name today.

She'll make a promise and I'll give her away.

Standing in the bride-room just staring at her.

She asked me what I'm thinking and I said "I'm not

sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."

She leaned over...gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there,

Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair

"Walk my down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time."

"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry!"

Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have

done something right.

To deserve your love every morning and butterfly

kisses-I couldn't ask God for more, man this is what love is.

I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember

every hug in the morning and butterfly kisses.

(It's actually listed under father-daughter dances when I searched for the lyrics too).

u2bum wrote:

i need suggestions to an appropriate father daughter wedding dance song...... anyone out there?? not too mushy.. no country music.. was

hoping for u2.. but can;t think of anything appropriate besides sweetest thing..

Hello to all my old mates by the way! i'm back!
:)

Smack my bitch up - Prodigy

Hi Guys,

thanks for your posts - have decided to go with Stevie Wonder - isn't she lovely.

Because i am... so lovely... hahaha, well my pa thinks so anyway!

We are getting married overseas on a beach and I have handpicked every song (ipod to speaker) and it has been an extremely difficult task...

Without the right music the party could be a total fizzer. Well i'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks. :)