• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 jaanakulo

jaanakulo

Babyface ✪✪

• 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

Amrit: exactly.

Love Joshua Tree and the band but definitely NOT going to see a gig of milking joshua tree.

#22 jaanakulo

jaanakulo

Babyface ✪✪

• 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

PS. Joshua Tree tour was the first one I managed to see U2 live.

Then Zoo TV. My best U2 gig I suppose.

During the last tour made a mistake to do the same place to see the band when 1992.

And now Joshua in 1987 

no, I do not want to see it again, no way.

It was my 1st ever band gig abroad far from perfect cos we did not get close to the stage but however, the time and the vibe

with thousands of people humming how long to sing this song walking from the arena. 

Last time when I saw them I was alone on the bridge of Stockholm, in 92 there were thousands.

And of course, now there will be thousands

but for me 

U2 is too precious to feel the sadness

I could not go to a Joshua Tree with an image in my mind of young bono and a band broken through

nowadays it is only like bourgeois millionaires doing the job to keep their mansions

no.

#23 Amrit

Amrit

Numb ✪

• 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Commercially U2  have to top the Joshua Tree, not try to regrow it. They are striving to leave a legacy and creative pile of music against which they will be judged.

I don't see how 2017's Joshua Tree tour can be a "creative" success. Life is short - why are they wasting it with pushing out stuff done before. No matter how you dress up the stage, the songs have been sang before (albeit we want to hear one or two they haven't played live). The more I think about it, the more I am feeling it is a mistake. When you remember any prior album or tour, it's firmly framed in your mind from that part of your life. Now it will be a case of "Joshua Tree? Oh yeah which tour do you mean? The old one or the one they did again in 2017".  

The U2 I know and love used to reinvent itself. Challenge the norms and push the boundaries of what is possible. 

I don't want them to become a heritage act - they need to hang their guitars before that happens. What you do guys think?

Releasing a 30 year anniversary box set with "new" material is fine  but not touring it makes no creative sense at all. I don't believe any of the hype. Yes it is a U2 tour and we are going to like it. But wouldn't you rather hear new material that is relevant now?

It's too late now as the tour is booked, If I could have a word with them I'd say "please get back in that Studio and make SOE poignant and reflective of the troubled times we find ourselves :( . Don't replant the Joshua Tree! You spent the 90s chopping it down. Leave it well alone. We love it and it will always be remembered..."

Edited by Amrit, 15 January 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#24 Countingbackwards

Countingbackwards

Numb ✪

• 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Something that can get lost in these existential analyses of whether the tour should be...most people under ~45 years old were too young to have seen the original Joshua Tree tour.  Probably at least half the people in attendance will be in this age category, including myself (Popmart was my first show).  I'm thrilled to get to see a Joshua Tree tour, cause I never got to see one before, and the tour was the stuff of legends.  I'll be happy to see what it was all about, even if Bono can't hit some of those notes anymore.

#25 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

But wouldn't you rather hear new material that is relevant now?

Normally I would say yes. At this stage of U2's career I'd rather hear great songs that haven't been played live in decades (or ever) than the "new" songs which will never get played again.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#26 a321doc

a321doc

Babyface ✪✪

• 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Achtung Tour in 2021 please.

#27 zootvboy

zootvboy

Babyface ✪✪

• 31 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

You glorify the past....when the future dries up........?

#28 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

You glorify the past....when the future dries up........?

Good quote! plus "peeling off those dollar bills ..."

Yes they chopped the tree down in the 90s - and weren't very fkattering about it in From the Sky Down to boot.

Perhaps it might be a big publicity stunt to unveil Songs of Experience in the second set?

I love U2 and I love the joshua tree, but would I prefer to hear new material and have a new album? You bet!
fact is fiction and TV reality

#29 Sigma957

Sigma957

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

I think they should make an exception and play a full band version of "When I Look At the World" at each show. Its sound is classic Joshua Tree in the intro. I always felt it should have been the first track on 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'. Also "Deep In the Heart" should get some genuine live full band version.

Joshua Tree 1987 is where I began and hopefully Joshua Tree tour 2017 is not where I end.

#30 Sigma957

Sigma957

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Commercially U2  have to top the Joshua Tree, not try to regrow it. They are striving to leave a legacy and creative pile of music against which they will be judged.

I don't see how 2017's Joshua Tree tour can be a "creative" success. Life is short - why are they wasting it with pushing out stuff done before. No matter how you dress up the stage, the songs have been sang before (albeit we want to hear one or two they haven't played live). The more I think about it, the more I am feeling it is a mistake. When you remember any prior album or tour, it's firmly framed in your mind from that part of your life. Now it will be a case of "Joshua Tree? Oh yeah which tour do you mean? The old one or the one they did again in 2017".  

The U2 I know and love used to reinvent itself. Challenge the norms and push the boundaries of what is possible. 

I don't want them to become a heritage act - they need to hang their guitars before that happens. What you do guys think?

Releasing a 30 year anniversary box set with "new" material is fine  but not touring it makes no creative sense at all. I don't believe any of the hype. Yes it is a U2 tour and we are going to like it. But wouldn't you rather hear new material that is relevant now?

It's too late now as the tour is booked, If I could have a word with them I'd say "please get back in that Studio and make SOE poignant and reflective of the troubled times we find ourselves :( . Don't replant the Joshua Tree! You spent the 90s chopping it down. Leave it well alone. We love it and it will always be remembered..."

I disagree with your entire post. U2 are not relevant in music anymore whether you want to believe it or not. They should just make great music and play it all live. WHICH  THEY DON'T.

This tour (if they actually keep their promise) will be the first time EVER that they actually played an entire album at one show. For U2, that's new territory.

#31 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think they should make an exception and play a full band version of "When I Look At the World" at each show. Its sound is classic Joshua Tree in the intro. I always felt it should have been the first track on 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'. Also "Deep In the Heart" should get some genuine live full band version.

Joshua Tree 1987 is where I began and hopefully Joshua Tree tour 2017 is not where I end.

'When I Look At the World' is a great track would love to hear that live. 'Deep in the Heart' is terrific to, 'Race Against Time' maybe as a setlist finale

#32 Sigma957

Sigma957

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

"Race Against Time" would be cool too. I liked all the JT b-sides.

#33 james busick

james busick

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 91 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

People sure do have specific ideas of what the band "should" do.  You know what?  They can do whatever the hell feels right to them at the time.  If you're not happy with it, quit your bitching and just stay home.  

#34 Sigma957

Sigma957

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Don'y you have your own paid area?  Just a thought.

#35 Manohlive

Manohlive

Blue Room ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 818 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:37 AM

If we are going back to 1987...why not have Lone Justice open the tour with Shelter?  Do the whole album?   It's one of my all time favorites and Maria McKee's name is on the current back issue of Propoganda  which is being featured.  Am I the only one who knows this band? 

If they were going to do an anniversary tour...this is the obvious one.  I'd love it if they did TJT and Achtung Baby in two different sets but then the stadiums wouldn't be selling out, now would they?  I think Please is one of the most underrated songs of all time.  I'd love to see them do Zooropa. 

I have a feeling there are surprises ahead which nobody can predict or even conceive.  That's what they do best.

As for them not being relevant in music anymore; why were we all so freaked about getting tickets?  I disagree.  I watch the audiences and there are always more youngsters appearing.  One could argue music is not relevant any longer.  Nobody pays for it save those of us who think they should get paid for the cds.  Tix would not be $300 if all did. 

I'm just happy they added a second night in Chicago.  I'm gonna nab a GA the day of the show and go see whatever gem they give to the Windy City because it's always something and it's usually Bad.  Ever go to a U2 gig and say, "I hope they play Bad tonight.", (rather loudly) and look at all the confused faces listening?  Most don't even know the song and I listen to it daily and it's still the song I most want to hear.  It's even more fun to be able to say, "They played Bad last night.", and see all the worried faces thinking U2 is gonna suck live the one tour they finally decide to go see them.  It's late.  I've been writing for 12 hours.  Perhaps this will be deleted in the morning.

I was not expecting this tour at first.  Once it starts, I think we'll all be happy.  Albeit disjointed...that's my take.

Pop is always brought up as Gender did, and I agree, but no matter what they do, it's going to be amazing.  I want SOE too.

#36 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Lone Justice really good band they supported U2 at the Wembley Stadium show I went to =0)

#37 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

People sure do have specific ideas of what the band "should" do.  You know what?  They can do whatever the hell feels right to them at the time.  If you're not happy with it, quit your bitching and just stay home.

Dont think fans are bitching here, just kicking around a few ideas, views, opinions.

Heres another quote for you ."Am I bugging you? Didn't mean to bug you. Okay Edge, play the blues!"

#38 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 14,835 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Please keep the discussion civil... thanks.

JT30_Sig_zpsnfxq5kfz.jpg

#39 Anjana

Anjana

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 24,664 posts
  • Locationla la land (this is where you can reach me now;)

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Who cares, U2 are touring, i get to see them again, I love them, 40 years on and still going strong, no complaints, no debate, it's Quite simple, I'm going and I'm going to sing my heart out.

U2 joy, nothing like it:D
Enjoy it while we still have it

#40 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

"Race Against Time" would be cool too. I liked all the JT b-sides.

Yes they were all fab. Also the album tracks released on various others were grear too like 'Jesus Christ' off a Vision Shared, 'Christmas Baby'off a Very Special Christmas and 'Sweet Fire of Love' and 'Testimony' from Robbie Robertson's album. Theres also a good cover of 'The Sweetest Thing' on the Scrooged OST album by New Voices of Freedom of the same period. Great music happy days.

Edited by joshthetree, 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM.