• 12,605 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

#22 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 436 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

I still remember waiting for this album to come out, first reportedly in late '96 then that came and went. One night a radio station said they were going to play the new U2 song soon, so my sister and I sat in her room listening to the radio and "Discotech" came on (I know that's not how it's spelt, that's how I thought it was spelt at the time). I liked the song, didn't love it though. A little later I had been out somewhere and when I got home my sister told me she had taped something off TV. She put it on, and it was the video clip for Discotheque. The first thing I said was "He's had a haircut!" (It didn't take too long for me to get a matching haircut, which my dad went completely ape-excrement at)

About a week before the album was released, my mum, my sister, and I were out in the car (still remember the stretch of road). On the radio suddenly there was a sort of doof-doof song playing, and after listening to it for nearly a minute for some reason I thought to myself "I wish bands would stop ripping off U2!"... then Bono's vocals kicked in. It WAS U2. I instantly fell in love with the song, which as I said didn't happen with Discotheque. When the song finished the announcer said that it was U2's new song "Mofo". Now I was really pumped for the new album.

Went to the music store on the day to check it out, and actually wasn't surprised to see the language warning on the cover. Circa 1997 it seemed to be what every band was doing.

My sister bought the album, so rather than having two in the house we just listened to her one. It didn't grab me straight away. A few great songs surrounded by filler.

My initial thoughts:

Discotheque... fun song that was growing on me.

Do You Feel Loved... another energetic tune in the Discotheque mould.

Mofo... best track on the album

If God Will Send His Angels... after the fast-paced high energy of Mofo, the album just seemed to stop dead in it's tracks

Staring At The Sun... ok, but still a little slow paced after the first three

Last Night On Earth... getting better, but still filler

Gone... one of the better tracks, but a little too much of a HMTMKMKM vibe

Miami... wasn't sure what to think, was a song I really had to be in the mood for

The Playboy Mansion... ok tune, naff lyrics

If You Wear That Velvet Dress... slow, boring, and can barely hear what Bono's singing

Please... Another not bad tune, but still just another Sunday Bloody Sunday

Wake Up Dead Man... weakest track on the album

But 20 years on, and I think it has greatly improved with age. LNOE and Gone are great songs, my love for Discotheque went up after seeing it live (it wasn't the "best" song of the show but definitely the highlight), Staring at the Sun is now one of my favourites off the album (tracked down the singles a few weeks ago, and it's one I like to bust out on the guitar). Over the years of radio-friendly U2-on-autopilot songs my appreciation of Miami rose, and after recently discovering the song live has become one I really like. Shame it was dropped from the PopMart setlist when I saw it, as it may have happened years earlier. Please took a while to grow on me, the far superior single version helped. IYWTVD is a great, sexy tune (I reckon Grace tried and dismally failed to recapture it). Mofo is still my favourite off the album, and easily in my top 5. Although I still think that IGWSHA and Wake Up Dead Man are the album's weakest songs, that just means they're better than pretty much anything on ATYCLB.

Edited by Grande 3:16, 06 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#23 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Grande, I love your review..... After a thorough study...My personal opinion is that the closest a *POP*-song comes to HMTMKMKM is " Staring at the Sun " !

Edited by pain_18_, 04 March 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#24 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

I want more reviews....Even negative..........Come on people...... !!!!

#25 allyson2008

allyson2008

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 206 posts
  • LocationIllinois, Boston, Dallas

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

I have a "Staring at the Sun" CD single with these songs:

"Staring at the Sun - Monster Truck Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Sad Bastards Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Lab Rat Mix"

"North and South of the River"

The "Staring at the Sun" mixes all have the same lyrics as the album version though.

I really miss the days when they released singles on physical media with remixes and b-sides.

#26 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I have a "Staring at the Sun" CD single with these songs:

"Staring at the Sun - Monster Truck Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Sad Bastards Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Lab Rat Mix"

"North and South of the River"

The "Staring at the Sun" mixes all have the same lyrics as the album version though.

I really miss the days when they released singles on physical media with remixes and b-sides.

Yeah.....And all the different versions of the songs.......I really think nothing beats the physical format.......The Sleeve, the fresh printing smell...the texture....the CD-art itself.....The inside-art, the back-cover art......... The sheer quality of the music on the cd, ......

Edited by pain_18_, 04 March 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#27 allyson2008

allyson2008

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 206 posts
  • LocationIllinois, Boston, Dallas

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:17 AM

http://zootopia.u2.c...4-popmart-1997/

I've shared some pictures I have from U2 in Kansas City in May of 1997. They filmed the video for "Last Night on Earth" there and I got to see some of it. There are a lot more pictures - I'll try to add more tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy them.

#28 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,605 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

I've shared some pictures I have from U2 in Kansas City in May of 1997. They filmed the video for "Last Night on Earth" there and I got to see some of it. There are a lot more pictures - I'll try to add more tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy them.

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

Posted Image

#29 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 436 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

Hope you enjoy them.

Nice! :)

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#30 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,256 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hey Pain great thread my favorite album in the world ever too. Gonna put something together to add to this thread ....
fact is fiction and TV reality

#31 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hey Pain great thread my favorite album in the world ever too. Gonna put something together to add to this thread ....

YES !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

#32 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Hope you enjoy them.

Just in from drawing.....Will check them out in a couple of minutes !

#33 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

I just saw Allyson's pix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Am not wanting rain on anyone's parade as it were but I have always been disappointed with POP.

After Discotheque was released as a single I was hopeful about the album at very best was (and still is) patchy.

Loved Mofo, Staring at the Sun, If God will send his Angels and Please but the rest of the tracks sounded as if the band were trying too hard or hadn't quite worked out what they wanted to do with certain songs. Gone wants to be a rock and roll track but doesn't seem to get off the ground and LNOE feels like a rehash of Everything but the Real Thing.

Then we got to the songs being played live. With other U2 albums even if the songs on CD feel flat or bland ( e.g. much of SOI) they take are taken to another level played live. The band never seemed to know how to play the songs off POP live. Even Discotheque has lost some of the energy when played live. 

#35 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Edited by pain_18_, 05 March 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#36 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 57 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowe...ty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#37 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 436 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

LNOE feels like a rehash of Even Better Than The Real Thing.

I was going to say the same thing in my initial thoughts. (Fixed that for you btw ;) )

Elevation is a lightweight EBTTRT rehash in imo.

#38 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

I was going to say the same thing in my initial thoughts. (Fixed that for you btw ;) )

Last Night on Earth.....One of the best tracks ever......I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing (, nor on Elevation .......), not musically, not lyrically, btw, the lyrics on LNOE are brilliant and the heavy music is embracing them perfectly.....And the fact U2 make mistakes on POP is something that brings them closer to us.....Proving they're not just a commercial super-power, meant to just cash out on fans....They're HUMAN....... At least at that moment they were.

*POP* is an album where U2 really pushed themselves to prove they can do something different, something that doesn't necessarily fit into a certain genre or category .....   A piece of work that's truly creative and they pulled it off ...I've started thinking long ago... it's great not everyone can see this..........It will be the secret of just few of us.....And if it's just me,  fine then !

Loved it when Bono said , I'm paraphrasing... " We  were also very annoyed at the title *Rock* " and that " [...] it's hard to conjure happiness, we tried for the first two tracks but then realized life isn't about that......We wanted something heavy and ironic....Hence the title *POP*...... We needed to get the wrapping paper right bc what's underneath isn't all that nice (meaning they're taking on painful life-stuff)  and happiness and joy won't do.....".

Edited by pain_18_, 06 March 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#39 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,040 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowe...ty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

AMAZING story and very well penned out !!!!! B) ^_^ :D

Another reason why *POP* speaks to me so much is that the album represents what my life was around that time 1995-1999 ( Was in school , I attended 1st to 4th grade...forgot how that's called in the US.....it was one of the most monstrous periods in my life....I haven't decided if High-School was worse...definitely on par, tho)....Agony and Ecstasy ....Like all of U2's music in the 90's....there's so much sentiment and a lot of great work forged into it....If you can call " doing what you love " - *work*.....

Edited by pain_18_, 06 March 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#40 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 436 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing

I don't feel the same way now, just at the time. It's not so much the sound or the lyrics, but more just kind of trying to recapture the same mood or feel I guess. "Moment Of Surrender" was described by some as the album's "One" even though they're nothing alike.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: *POP*, 20thAnniversary, LOVE, MOFO, InsertTAGhere