Rattle & Hum Re-Issue?

mikespall

• Subscriber

I am assuming that as most of the band's back catologue is being re-mastered and re-issued, then they will do so with Rattle & Hum?

I hope that when they do, they release the album differently and frankly, in a way it should have been released in the first place.

Put the 'studio' stuff on one disc, as a kind of EP. And then all the live stuff, including cuts on the film (i.e. Sunday, Exit etc.) onto a seconddisc. Then of course, a third disc could be the DVD of the film itself.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

• Subscriber

Great idea ... I posted a similar thing a while back re: a studio tracks only album. Add some b-sides and any unreleased stuff, then a full live album of thefilm tracks, again plus any unreleased stuff plus the film on remastered DVD again with any live/TV stuff from the time. I recall a great TV showing ofLovetown back in the day in the UK ... Historically though it's a much maligned album and fil by the critics so I wouldn't be surprised if they doAchtung Baby first!

• Subscriber

Kristaps wrote:

What makes you think that the CD as it was originally released is not the way it "should have been released in the first place"? I reckon that it appears the way band wanted it to appear and should not be changed.

Going by the fact that in SO many interviews, the band and Paul McGuiness themselves address the whole Rattle & Hum era as a mistake of sorts. It inspiredthem to go away and dream it all up again put it that way!

It is just a disjointed record in my opinion. The studio stuff is okay, but there is no flow to it at all and I believe the live recorded stuff is SOimpressive it deserves to be heard as a proper live album.

I bought the Joshua Tree 2CD, DVD package recently and the live concert on there is incredible. Okay, it is not visually exciting in the way it is filmed. Ifit had the visual quality of Rattle & Hum it would be the best live document of the band ever, in my opinion! Yes, maybe even better than ZooTV.

All I know is that Rattle & Hum is the one album of theirs I very rarely put on. Not because of the material so much, but it lacks any real flow like arecord or live performance should have. As a scrapbook of the Joshua Tree era it is fine, but as a major release it doens't work for me.

In my opinion! ;-)