U2 now see the reality that NO LINE is a failure.

MacFoley

My name for MTV is...  MISCELLANEOUS TV!!

U2 sales behind Lady Gaga?? WTF!? That tells you right there...it's marketing that gets the sales, not talent or creativity.

We're the enlightened ones. thumbsup.gif

I actually think Lady Gaga is very talented. I think her voice is great and she comes accross as having a strong personality and a mind of her own. If Britney Spears, for instance, was ahead of U2 then I´d think it´s crazy.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bonohood wrote:

mysterygirl1']

My name for MTV is...  MISCELLANEOUS TV!!

U2 sales behind Lady Gaga?? WTF!? That tells you right there...it's marketing that gets the sales, not talent or creativity.

We're the enlightened ones.
thumbsup.gif

I actually think Lady Gaga is very talented. I think her voice is great and she comes accross as having a strong personality and a mind of her own. If Britney Spears, for instance, was ahead of U2 then I´d think it´s crazy.

yeah...  i agree gaga is talented.  ive heard her other stuff and have seen her interviews. she could be using that talent in a much more constructive way, too. she's way more so than britney, etc. i mean yikes. 

just its now becoming a fad, sadly... and shock value and choreographed christina aguilera stuff now, and she seems to have a lot more soul-esque style in there somewhere. maybe id have more respect, musically, if she'd concentrate on that than shock and awe and all the other crap.
either way, i dont care.

but yeah, it is all about promotion, and advertising, like i said. most peop;le id taked to her were u2 fans, didnt even have a clue u2 had a new album out till i mentioned it. its a different age and time for music now these days., sadly. as far as u2 goes... this album was very much on the lay low in terms of advertising. usually its everywhere.
i think its just down to a matter of peopl;e not really knowjng there was a new u2 album. L:OL seriously.

• Subscriber

Wonder how it would shape up if u2 had a strictly download release only, with no availability of freebee downloads or online pre-release playbacks (that are easy download if you really want them)?

Might see this happening with the next album? Would be interesting to see how that would pan out..Think the singles chart positions would be very different?

Can't imagine that too many U2 fans who may have downloaded or physically bought the last album (legit or elsewhere) going back to pay for and download the single release ? why would you buy more of the same cockatoo? :-)

U2 should just run the ball! Er.... oops, I'm on the wrong board. :-)

No really, keep it simple, Songs of Ascent should have no press, no single release, no radio push... and no known release date, nor should it be made available online, just have it show up in stores unannounced, and let it build up from the ground up. And tour in front of it.... start playing those tunes on the next leg before it gets out, let the concert be the leak, not the internet.

• Subscriber

I adore this album and am disappointed it has not been commercially successful for U2 but even more disappointed if they see it as a failure when the music is sublime. The music industry today is pretty much full of throwaway disposable music that might be good to dance to for a short period of time but there is not alot of substance out there. The Killers, Kings of Leon, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, all great bands with something of substance to offer but most of the Top 40... shite... and whilst U2 obviously want commercial success to remain "relevant" I think they should be more focused on providing challenging interesting layered material, like NLOTH, and not be so concerned about what the masses are consuming. I am sure financial success is desirable but surely they are in a financially sound position to not have to worry about that so much.

I do however think the marketing of the "singles" from this album has been substandard, dreadful in fact. How can Magnificent chart if its not even released as a cd single anywhere except Ireland? I don't think the local arms of the record companies seem to be doing much (at least in Australia) to promote the other singles - I have heard NOTHING from the new album on the radio for such a long time... where the hell are the publicists? I don't get what the strategy is... if there even is one....

• Subscriber

As a side note, I can tell you that Universal have shut down another office in Oz........booooooo.......and the marketing manager who looked after U2 in Oz, was made redundant not long after the album's release and admittedly UMA have stated U2's current album basically got no attention....................what a load of bollocks UMA!

• Subscriber

maybe it's a little bit "sig of the time"? i watch may teen-kids as they are dancin' to lady gaga and others, and think: is this talent/creativity?!

but than again, when i was a teen (some 20 y ago) a lot of my friends were totally into Madonna, and lets face it, she couldn't/can' t sing any better dan L. gaga! it's all show (and showing the flesh...) and sadly, as years pass, this will rule more and more..that's what our world became..it's all about appearance, having the boops and boothies..nothing wrong i think ..but its everywhere.. look at the Tv-shows ..fashion-industry, the E-entertainment.

you have all this technology, everyone can 'sing' nowadays! about the time we saw U2 in amsterdam this summer, Lady Gaga was performing in this country as well, i read both comments in the paper and they were describing how she had to make up for the poor music and singing bij stirring up the fans with rude and vulgar language and costums!

i would take my kids to U2 anytime, but i wouldn't like them to see a show like L. Gaga's.frown.gif

Maybe that's what Bono is missin..some nip and tuck some flesh showing in the new video'stongue.gif

• Subscriber
As a side note, I can tell you that Universal have shut down another office in Oz........booooooo.......and the marketing manager who looked after U2 in Oz, was made redundant not long after the album's release and admittedly UMA have stated U2's current album basically got no attention....................what a load of bollocks UMA!
Funny how people travelled across the world to watch them play songs off an album that got no attention. I know you were in Europe Aussiegirl and we went to the USA to watch them play the songs off this album. Don't know how many other bands have fans that travel the world to watch them.

• Subscriber

Hi D&J......I know alot of people that have travelled for this tour - its pretty incredible really. I guess the plus side for U2 is even with limited support from the record company, they have such a fantastic fan base that makes sure we dont miss out on the music....and when we can can, we go to see them in concert.

Its just a shame to think so many people may have missed out on this album due to poor promo in various countries.............but I bet the youtube broadcast may help a few album sales :)