U2 now see the reality that NO LINE is a failure.

MacFoley

The only song I listen to is Magnificent. I can't stand this album. I listened to it ONE TIME all the way through and cringed. I chalk it up to U2 can put out whatever they want, they are U2. They would sell out stadiums to the end of time without putting a new album out. *wahine ducks as she runs outta the room*

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
Oh my God. Because of these articles now people think that No Line sold just 1 million copies IN THE WORLD... It happened on a national Italian radio -____-; (such ignorant and shallow people in our media).
This also happened in the NME 

They said that no line sold 1 million , atyclb sold 4.3 million and htdaab sold 3.2 million. Not once did it mention that these were only USA sales.

Poor journalism

/www.nme.com/news/u2/48033

@Panth: I wish it was like that... When I look at the UK charts I always feel a bit discouraged, every week they look more and more like the US ones to me. And then there's this terrible thing that European artists think they must "change" to please Americans' taste... And they completely get lost (but this is another story...).

• Subscriber

This has very little to do with the "pop" music scene. I would venture to say most U2 fans are not as high on this album as past albums. I've listened to all the songs on NLOTH at least 50 times or more and they just don't match their great songs of the past or great albums of the past. NLOTH has some great spots and some songs that work but overall, I just don't think fans have embraced the songs in the way they've done past albums and key songs. There's just not as much rhythmic quality to the songs (relative to AB or JT or War or ...) and Bono's voice on the album is often strained. Some songs start out with potential then they are let down by lyrics or voice parts that don't and The music may be more complex, but complexity is not necessarily better or more appealing and compelling.

In fact, Medium, Rare & Remastered had a number of song releases that would top almost all the NLOTH songs.

But, let's take "One." That song has a decent rhythm to it. But what makes that song great are the depth of the lyrics and the meaning and power of those lyrics in reaching the hearts of millions. I know a ton of people who are not fans of U2 but love that song. There are some good lyrics here and there in NLOTH but not a lot and not an entire song.

It's not the music scene - it's the music! NLOTH is not bad. I think Pop was much worse and a digression from the group's strength. But, I also don't think NLOTH is anywhere near the top 5 nor do I think it will be viewed there historically by the majority of diehard fans.

Music, of course, is in the ear of the listener as beauty is in the beholder.

@Panth: I wish it was like that... When I look at the UK charts I always feel a bit discouraged, every week they look more and more like the US ones to me. And then there's this terrible thing that European artists think they must "change" to please Americans' taste... And they completely get lost (but this is another story...).

I don't get that, I mean the AMerican scene is pretty bad.

And then you have the indie hipsters who like only indie bands, and 95 % of them are bad anyways.  It's like AMerican music has no soul left and the blackhole it left behind is sucking the rest of the world into it.

• Subscriber

The US is not the epicenter of music or music culture. The US media is only concerned with how celebrities look, an;d music looks like a dance choreography video in the US.

If you want real pop you have to go to Europe.

Are you arguing that NLOTH is selling bigger in Europe or that it is more popular on the European charts than say ATYCLB or AB? Or that NLOTH is a massive #1 album in Europe? I'd like to see that evidence. 

Of course the U.S. is not the epicenter of pop. But, this is not some US media conspiracy! It's time to take the chip off the shoulder and a little objectivity. The fact is, US radio television play U2 music constantly. Time and again on sports programming, on TV shows and in stadiums for all sports, U2 is heard - especially old songs (MW, Streets, WOWY, BD, SBS, NYD, E, V, etc.). Why? Because they are idiot Pop freaks? Glad you think that of the US media and people who continually listen to U2 - especially classic U2.