Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

[quote name='sea_islander wrote:

wink.gif

ceallach67 wrote:

sea_islander']

eek.gif

What's the problem?  The Rams reference is totally lost on me.  Care to explain?

the Rams actually have no shot at the Superbowl --

I made this football reference earlier in the thread ohwell.gif ...

wink.gif

Gotcha.  Sorry must have missed that one.  Eh... I'm a Raiders fan... so I don't pay attention to chances at the Superbowl. tongue.gif

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking he mentioned Radiohead and how they marketed IN Rainbows. Did he? Cuz if so, he forgot the part where Radiohead were using htat time to shop around for a new label after parting with their old label, but wanted to get In Rainbows out.

He seems to have forgotten that. So according to his 'indie rock! ERRRR!!!!" logic, Radiohead are driven by money and greed and are sellouts for doing so too.

JUST A FACT: whenever a band is on top, people will find ways to topple them. Example: Led Zeppelin and The Beatles. Both these bands had a great music career, but when they released their last albums, they were some of the least favorites. When Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax announced a tour with all 4, a lot of fans were against it...especially w/Metallica headlining. In general, whenever band becomes successful, they're instantly labeled 'sellouts'....so that means almost every band is a sellout! The next level would be 'washed up' or 'has-beens'. Just listen to the car commercials, the movie soundtracks, at your local grocery store, and at any sporting event. I just saw Pearl Jam do a Target commercial! Every band out there is hooked to a record label of some sort that is affiliated with a conglomerate...they just don't mention it....and those who aren't...they'll be playing in bars/garages for the rest of their 'careers' (we call them 'Weekend Warriors')...if you can call it that. YOU'D BE LYING IF YOU WERE IN IT JUST FOR THE MUSIC!! Why do bands promote their CD's?...hoping to get more exposure...to get to the next level. It's a fact that without some sort of sponsorship, bands can't pull off big tours (even U2!). You don't see it, but the clothing they wear, the cars they drive, even the food they eat are free, as a form of advertisement. When you're famous, you get things for free! So the next time you see your favorite 'indie' band wearing those Vans shoes, ask yourself if they got it for free. You can also look at genres. Punk band releasing 20 songs, that are 2 mins. long, w/same chords...what is that considered? Or a jazz/fusion ensemble that makes a 7 mins. song with guitar noodling over the top? Or a one-hit wonder in the making focusing more on image/bling and lip-syncing/using auto tune...what is that?

The best way to judge it: just look at the longevity of the band and it's fan base.

1. Are they still selling out their shows? (and are the shows getting bigger, or is the tour in high demand?)

2. Do they continue to inspire their fans with their actions and songs?

3. Do their fans continually anticipate what they're going to do next?

4. Do other bands get influenced by them?

5. Do they try to push the envelope by doing their own thing and not conforming to the present?

So far U2 has check marks on all these questions stated above.

I've worked numerous shows....all types of genres, from local acts to legendary status bands. 9 times out of 10 I can tell you which acts are going to last, just by the reception of the crowd/turn out. You think hip-hop/rap and pop is popular?...they barely break even at shows/tours...and they usually disappear in a couple years time. Ignore the radio stations (they're like car salesmen-misleading), it's all about the concerts now. In fact, I just did a festival with some famous former American Idol runner-ups and others artists/bands that you hear every hour, on the hour, on the radio...they couldn't even sellout half the arena! I don't think the radio station will do it again. I still see some 'radio-friendly' bands unload their own equipment, and have their management stiff them and the crew after the tour has ended. Bands like U2, Springsteen, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam and Radiohead are here to stay! They will always sellout shows....and they will always find ways to make their concert going experience better!

• Subscriber

Amen! I admit to having read only the first few posts and the last few, but I think I have the gist of it . . . and, yes, absolutely YES to all five of your criteria. Anyone who does not like U2, that's fine, whatever, but they continue to amaze and inspire me and loads of others too!

JUST A FACT: ....
I have to confess that I was starting to find the rivalry among the two sound engineers (or production crew) a bit annoying just like when musicians scrutinise or dissect U2´s music without taking into consideration the emotions they create. However, I no longer feel this way after reading your post.

Thanks Bonohood....when mixing bands, the #1 thing to do is watch the fans! Are they enjoying it? Are they looking back at you and giving you a thumbs up, or just plain flicking you off...lol...I haven't experienced the latter yet. Now that's what's important! We have a saying in the industry, "you can't polish turd!"...U2 does not fall into that category...in fact, the pressure would be on Joe O'Herlihy not to fuck it up....and he hasn't.

• Subscriber
I keep thinking he mentioned Radiohead and how they marketed IN Rainbows. Did he? Cuz if so, he forgot the part where Radiohead were using htat time to shop around for a new label after parting with their old label, but wanted to get In Rainbows out.

He seems to have forgotten that. So according to his 'indie rock! ERRRR!!!!" logic, Radiohead are driven by money and greed and are sellouts for doing so too.

So, so true bruv. I love Radiohead, but that was just clever marketing.  Give away a version of your album at the lowest mp3 bitrate, and then charge $100 for a boxset.

Nine Inch Nails did it waaaaay better and gave away their last album entirely for free, in a very high quality format, with free artwork etc. the HD DVD audio version was also completley free.  They have also released many multitracks of their songs to remix etc for free.  Radiohead charged to get the multitracks of "Nude" for their remix comp.

And Bflorendo, that term must be universal for soundies, as you can't polish a turd here in Oz either!

• Subscriber

With all due respect, thank you for those two minutes I can't get back....well 30 seconds, as I have ADD (thanks for the insult)...and if you knew anything about ADD,,,,to focus on a response riddled with arguments would mean we had to care enough to sit there long enough to write it out....if it bores us....well it won't happen...so that is all I am going to say to y....

• Subscriber

thanx for that post bflorendo! you put it so well, and it's what i wanted to say; music and appreciation of it is a matter of the heart.. like you say; watch the fans goin crazy.. but also consider the long term appreciation! (cause i bet hannah montanna makes her fans go crazy too! but don't see them still playing her songs in 20 years timewink.gif)

and you're even more right stating all bands live from merchandise and support of big corporations... and u2 have been clever enough to keep control over their music and records,.... and yeah they've earned alot of money by doing so.. while other bands mainly earned a lot of money for others (producers, managers,... reaping the profits)

so do we blame them for being smart businessmen', or are we glad for them? i chose the last optionhappy.gif