Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

Anyway, I stop reading your post after "Became a fan in 1983..."....

Oh... but Kristaps, you should know by now that when you lead off with that statement you're qualified to say anything you like about U2 after that.  Because now you're a U2 expert.  *nods*

I can say that because well... I became a fan in 1983. tongue.gif

To the OP... okay,  we hear you loud and clear and in summation can safely guess that you no longer like U2 as they haven't lived up to your expectations.  Personally I liked the "ADD riddled posters" comment.  Nice. Way to introduce yourself and further....

Ooo... SHINY THING....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Anyway, I stop reading your post after "Became a fan in 1983..."....

Oh... but Kristaps, you should know by now that when you lead off with that statement you're qualified to say anything you like about U2 after that.  Because now you're a U2 expert.  *nods*

I can say that because well... I became a fan in 1983. tongue.gif

To the OP... okay,  we hear you loud and clear and in summation can safely guess that you no longer like U2 as they haven't lived up to your expectations.  Personally I liked the "ADD riddled posters" comment.  Nice. Way to introduce yourself and further....

Ooo... SHINY THING....

2-1.gif

TOO LONG. DIDN'T READ.

I don't see [or maybe I do...] why you even bothered to write up this long negativepost, you could've discovered other dozen bands in the meantime... or doing anything remotely productive to be honest... clearly, you have too much time on your hands. Why do you have to make an account here just to write negative stuff. It's your personal choice for not wanting to listen to U2 anymore. Good for you. Do you want us to applaud you? I think you missed the board in that case. Haters' door is to the left.

Wow!...I must have worked along side with this person...doing the U2360 tour....knows what he/she is talking about...NOT!!! With all due respect, I do agree with dropping Eno/Lanois...but go for Lillywhite on the next few albums. Also, shake up the setlist.

BUT!!!!....

I work in the live audio industry as a 'techie geek'. I've worked with numerous national acts...from load in, to sound check, to show and load out....so I've seen it all...unlike Dunlop here. In my experience, U2's show still tops the bill. See, I'm also a musician, and when you compose music, it's not just the audio, but the visuals (Pink Floyd, etc...), and emotions. I'll tell you what's boring....an end stage, with lasers (so 80's) and pyro (getting old)...and the same songs played over and over again, with the hit song being played last....so that the fans will stick around for it! What Dunlop doesn't realize is that U2 strives to be innovative when it comes to shows. Really, they can just tour with the usual stage set up....BORING!!!...it's forgetful.

Here's another one, U2 actually play their instruments! I can't tell you how many legendary acts play and sing under tracks...even guitar solos! If you've heard of 'ducking' then you'll know what I mean. They're playing just in case the Pro Tools rig goes down, us FOH engineers can raise the band's DCA faders to cover their ass (Dunlop, do you know what DCA faders are?). As for The Edge's FX, that is the sound of U2. Yeah I've seen his rig up close, a combo of stomp boxes and racks patched in to his custom multi-FX unit...just like the days of The Joshua Tree. Live concert being streamed over the internet, and releasing a full length concert, in 3D...who else does that? You're the expert...please list them....and how bout them wireless DMX, giant HD conical screen, the i5/i5sub P.A. and the LED curtains? Yep, U2 were the first. Don't be surprised if you see holograms and 'audiolights' in the near future...and you guessed it, it's U2 investing money on these innovative toys...you just don't know...or just ignorant. You may start to hear sound coming out of tall pieces of cloth....and who's experimenting with it?...you guessed it...U2...you just don't know!

Now, for us crew. I wish they could read your comments....let alone laugh at it!!...especially the ticket prices. First off, if you know supply and demand, how is it possible to play in smaller venues, yet sell tickets at a lower price? See, you get misled by gross...it's the net worth that counts! Let me itemize the expenses of a typical show, then times it by 10000, for U2's show. Six week mini tours?....Yeah right! First off, they'll be spending money to fly their crew back and forth.

What bands have to pay from ticket sales:

20% goes to the venue

Generator rentals

Security & law enforcement

Parking of buses and trucks [u2 x 120]

Drivers - day rate, catering & lodging [u2 x 120]

Local union crew - day rate & catering [u2 x 300 ($18-$27/hr)]

Road crew - day rate, per diem, catering and lodging (airfare if applicable) [u2 x 50]

P.A. rental from Clair Bros.

Lighting/Video rental from PRG

Liability insurance

Vendors

Cleanup crews

Logistic expenses

Promoter - local and national (TV, radio, etc.)

BANDS MAKE MONEY FROM THEIR MERCH....NOT TICKETS!!!

On top of that when they aren't on tour: retainer salary for their road crew...to prevent them from joining other tours. Basically supports U2's crew and their families when they aren't touring. Others like Springsteen, Metallica and AC/DC do this....that's why they've had the same crews for the past 20 years. They are all dedicated and appreciate it.

Dunlop, to tell me and my fellow blue collar workers that U2 is straying away from their beliefs is a big joke. What's even more insulting is YOU saying that the ticket prices are too high for this tour....A kick in the teeth for us in the live performance industry! Next time, why don't you say it to a bunch of roadies...any show...and see what you get in return.

See ya at a show!!!

• Subscriber

i stopped reading after you said "u2 went directly to the bank, bigtime." if you don it agree and and u are going to criticize u2 then please leave the fan site and dont come back. obviously i love u2 and thats why i am a paid member of their fan club. GOOD RIDDENS, PLEASE GO ON ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS and Leave the negativity about the band to yourself and off the website.

Here's my 2cents on what the band must do to redeem the mantle that Coldplay has conveniently swiped from them in the past couple of years.

hahahahahahahahahahaha Coldplay hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

this one line tells me more then the rest of your entire post.

go enjoy Viva La Vida  

[quote name='Angel-Eyes wrote:

Dunlop']

Here's my 2cents on what the band must do to redeem the mantle that Coldplay has conveniently swiped from them in the past couple of years.

hahahahahahahahahahaha Coldplay hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

this one line tells me more then the rest of your entire post.

go enjoy Viva La Vida  

Dunlop, do you know who Joe Satriani is? and Cat Stevens? Yes, I used to listen to Coldplay....key words...USED TO!