Dear mr. Bono,

Johanvb

dear mr. Bono,

Although i like your music I do not consider myself a fan. I don't know if you will ever read this or even care about meanings from those who you depict as thieves. I hope that you are not offended by the way i put my words to paper, because English isn't my primairy language the way i put some words to paper may sound rude or ill chosen.

Let me ensure you that that isn't my intention.

I read about your statement in the The New York Times regarding illegal downloading of music and movies on a Dutch tech-site.

First of all and above all else, i have to agree with you. Stealing is stealing, no matter what the ideals you say you have.

But what i can't understand is that a person that made songs about people fighting for their believes can't see the fight that is taking place here.

You say that P2P has to be closely monitored and illegal downloading has to be halted. You even went so far as to prove the possibility to control the P2P medium with examples of the censorship in China.

Besides the fact that i was baffeled by the fact that you of all people would actually consider censorship for the benefit of a few i think your vision of things is blurred somehow.

When i look at projects like Orange, Peach and Durian by the Blender organisation whereby I pay €50 for a ten minute movie, my name in the credits of that movie and the source-code of the aforementioned movie (with the freedom to remake the movie and re-release it under the Creative Commons rights) and i see how many people participate time and time again then i have to say the recording-industry is doing something very wrong when their work is being stolen.

Especially when i tell you that the movie and source-code is released for free right after the movie and source-code is distributed to the sponsors.

Dick Dale had

about this. He says that you have to invest early on in your career to reap the benefits later.

So, people are paying a big amount of money for something that they can get for free and for something futile as their name in the credits (that, let face it, almost noone reads). Why?

Because for a brief moment they feel that they are part of something bigger and they believe in the cause.

I can't understand why this ideology isn't adopted by the recording-industry.

The way the recording-industry is defending it's point and is unwilling to take a leap forward and become record-creators instead of an industry is very much like the rigid behaviour you encounter when you are mediatng between politicians.

So please mr. Bono when you have some spare time and are dealing with record-industry people, look at them as if they where dictators who try to refuse to let the people to become  part of what they love.

Please, All i want is you, to Get on your boots, start An unforgettable fire, and I will follow.

Yours sincerely,

Johan van den Berg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you expect. 

Bono is just another GREEDY corporate asshole.

I will no longer support anything connected to U2 and will return or destroy any of their music, just as soon as I lend them all out to anyone that want to copy my albums or cd's.

I for one am done with the BONEHEAD, he has opened his trap once too often.

I follow more of what The Edge said. It affects the bands that are trying to start somewhere. The up & coming bands. Not as much for U2. The Edge says that U2 is in an enviable position that they already have an established fan base. Basically, he doesn't mind if us fans get free U2 downloads.

• Subscriber

I follow more of what The Edge said. It affects the bands that are trying to start somewhere. The up & coming bands. Not as much for U2. The Edge says that U2 is in an enviable position that they already have an established fan base. Basically, he doesn't mind if us fans get free U2 downloads.
I think the Edge realizes how fortunate he is but don't think he doesn't mind "if us fans get free U2 downloads." Maybe in the case of live bootlegs the band doesn't mind but I'm sure they really care about officially released product.  I have paid for every U2 cassette tape/CD/single/iTunes mp3/iPod/VHS tape/DVD/book in my possession (and I have almost everything they've ever put out) but I admit to downloading the songs weeks earlier than the release date because I'm so anxious to hear their new material.  I don't feel too troubled about "stealing" because I buy their new album the day it's released.  I consider it "borrowing" from the future.  It's wrong if you do it without the intention of purchasing the official release. That's my two cents.

• Subscriber

I think the Edge realizes how fortunate he is but don't think he doesn't mind "if us fans get free U2 downloads." Maybe in the case of live bootlegs the band doesn't mind but I'm sure they really care about officially released product.  I have paid for every U2 cassette tape/CD/single/iTunes mp3/iPod/VHS tape/DVD/book in my possession (and I have almost everything they've ever put out) but I admit to downloading the songs weeks earlier than the release date because I'm so anxious to hear their new material.  I don't feel too troubled about "stealing" because I buy their new album the day it's released.  I consider it "borrowing" from the future.  It's wrong if you do it without the intention of purchasing the official release. That's my two cents.

• Subscriber
What did you expect. 

I will no longer support anything connected to U2 and will return or destroy any of their music, just as soon as I lend them all out to anyone that want to copy my albums or cd's.

... and how old are you? sounds like the reaction of one of my kids....

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

pissedoff']What did you expect. 

This person has started a couple of threads Barbara - think he is a child as is wanting a reaction like a child does - obviously bored and nothing better to do!

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

pissedoff']What did you expect. 

This person has started a couple of threads Barbara - think he is a child as is wanting a reaction like a child does - obviously bored and nothing better to do!

I'm sure he doesn't even know the names of other band members :D

• Subscriber

you're probably right zhivvy and kristaps...

i do respect johanvb though for making his point in a civil way!

and  i do think it's not a good idea to mention china like bono does. in his column.. but he doesnt mean it in a bad way i guess, if i understand the entire statement correctly...

its just a shame not everybody is able to discuss this topic in a calm, polite or even objective way...