Bono accuses ISPs of being "reverse Robin Hoods"

kennyu272

I guess Pissedoff didn't read the full article. It's not for U2's sake. It's for the start up bands. The bands that can't rely on ticket sales or merch alone to support themselves. As indicated, the majority U2's income comes from ticket sales and merch...and those ticket prices were reasonable....and I know, since I've worked with several national acts. Apart from that, they also have to pay for all the tour expenses before they even get the rest of it. Do you know the difference between GROSS and NET pay? There's still some that don't have a crew to unload their stuff....they do it themselves, coz they can't afford it. I'm NOT Bono, and I'm not part of his entourage....this is how the music business is. That 'bling' you see on artists is either an endorsement, or a 'loan'. Eventually, the label have to be reimbursed for those things. As far as sellout goes....every successful band out there is a sellout. How? Every time you here a song used for a commercial, a sporting event, a movie/TV sound track, in the bars/clubs, theme parks, radio, etc., a portion of it goes to the artist. So you're telling me that Muse, Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire are sellouts? I just heard a track of Mutemath at a convention the other day...a band that hasn't even reached the stature of U2 or Muse....are they sellouts? Pls. get a clue on what a sellout really is. Trust me, I'd be the first to jump ship if I knew that they were doing this for all the wrong reasons. Can't you admit it, Bono is looking out for the little people, aka the bands that are just starting!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:

pissedoff']How is music sharing any different than lending a cd or album to a friend to copy.

It isn't. I am glad I live in a country that supports the sharing of music online.

Bono is a bonehead sellout that moved his company out of England to avoid paying taxes.

That seems like the biggest theft of all, enjoying the benefits of a country, (he was knighted by the Queen) but not contibuting via the tax system.

Bono serves himself!!!

Bono is not English thats why he doesnt pay his taxes to England. He is Irish you FOOL!!

I was about to say the exact thing - he hasn't paid his taxes in England and didn't move them from there to the Netherlands :D

• Subscriber
It amazes me that all of you fools are so eager to defend the sellout Bono.

He cares nothing for you only what serves himself.laugh.gif

Get a life.
we're at this fansite because we are fans, you're here to tell us all (shove it down our throat) that you're not a fan and you hate them.... who's the one clearly needs to get a life??

• Subscriber

Brilliant comments by a brilliant person (I'm talking about Bono, not the U2/Bono haters).

He is right. A business entity, whether it's a 5-year old selling lemonade or a rock band selling music or an aerospace company selling airplanes.....creates nothing for free. For you business owners or employees out there, try "sharing" your hard work for free, through a third party that gets rich off your efforts. Sharing commercially released music for profit is illegal and that's the simple point Bono is making.

And I hope Bono maintains a healthy ego, he deserves it, and it's justified as he's been giving us beautiful melodies and lyrics for 20+ years.

I guess Pissedoff didn't read the full article. It's not for U2's sake. It's for the start up bands. The bands that can't rely on ticket sales or merch alone to support themselves. As indicated, the majority U2's income comes from ticket sales and merch...and those ticket prices were reasonable....and I know, since I've worked with several national acts. Apart from that, they also have to pay for all the tour expenses before they even get the rest of it. Do you know the difference between GROSS and NET pay? There's still some that don't have a crew to unload their stuff....they do it themselves, coz they can't afford it. I'm NOT Bono, and I'm not part of his entourage....this is how the music business is. That 'bling' you see on artists is either an endorsement, or a 'loan'. Eventually, the label have to be reimbursed for those things. As far as sellout goes....every successful band out there is a sellout. How? Every time you here a song used for a commercial, a sporting event, a movie/TV sound track, in the bars/clubs, theme parks, radio, etc., a portion of it goes to the artist. So you're telling me that Muse, Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire are sellouts? I just heard a track of Mutemath at a convention the other day...a band that hasn't even reached the stature of U2 or Muse....are they sellouts? Pls. get a clue on what a sellout really is. Trust me, I'd be the first to jump ship if I knew that they were doing this for all the wrong reasons. Can't you admit it, Bono is looking out for the little people, aka the bands that are just starting!

thanks bflorendo, thats helpful for me to know...I appreciate your post:)

Peacewink.gif