10 cover songs that overcame their original version

Bonohood

I totally agree with Aretha-Respect

Jimi hendrix for All along the watchtower

Love Nirvana.. but it's Bowie we're talking about so no need to say more.

I'm not sure if I ever heard Dolly Parton singing I Will Always Love You.. but Whitney's version could drive me to murder, and I happen to like Dolly:)

• Subscriber
I totally agree with Aretha-Respect

Jimi hendrix for All along the watchtower

Love Nirvana.. but it's Bowie we're talking about so no need to say more.

I'm not sure if I ever heard Dolly Parton singing I Will Always Love You.. but Whitney's version could drive me to murder, and I happen to like Dolly:)

I love that version by Dolly Parton too! Remember it was in a movie?  The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas with Dolly and Burt Reynolds.  She sings it to him towards the end.  When Whitney's version came out everyone went nuts and I was chastized for saying Dolly's version is really good.  Most didn't even know she wrote it, she's written so many songs.  (over 2,250 the last time I heard)

• Subscriber

I'm with Respect - when she sings it, it makes me wish that i could sing like that!!!

Also I prefer the Dolly version of i will always love you - love dolly hate whitney!!!

• Subscriber

I totally associate Respect with Aretha, so much so that I thought she was the original artist, lol. Gotta agree with Dolly too . . . she brings personality, a sense of humor to songs whereas Whitney's over the top emoting just grates. For some reason, I cannot remember Bowie doing that song, will have to re-listen to both.