Bad being used to advertise the Daytona 500

Manohlive

• Subscriber

I posted this in the paid subscriber's section but maybe I'll get more responses here.  I saw a commercial advertising the Daytona 500 this year, 2010.  They are using the song, "Bad" by U2 in the commercial.  I was very surprised to see this, I never thought I would see a U2 song used in a commercial so I am hoping that they are using the song for charity reasons.  Perhaps the money is going to the One foundation or a Haiti foundation or another charity.  Does anyone have the low down on this one?  Why are they using Bad to advertise the Daytona 500?  Any info would be appreciated.

• Subscriber

Apparently a lot of people are po'd that the song was used to advertize the Daytona. But as a NASCAR fan and supporter, I thought it was brilliant. Bad is a classic song about addiction. The Daytona is a classic in the race world, and NASCAR fans find the sport addicting. They are extremely loyal to the sport and to their drivers. I have had the good fortune to see this sport "up close and personal." I've met drivers and their families, stood on the pit lane with the crews during the national anthem and invocation, sat on the pit box of my favorite driver when he won a race and gone to Victory Lane to celebrate. I've met many of the people behind the scenes who work incredibly hard to make this sport a great family passtime. So I've been appalled at some of comments from people on this site who are intent on dissing something they know absolutely nothing about. NASCAR is not just about a bunch of rednecks driving fast and turning left for four hours on a Sunday afternoon - but that is the stereotype to which non-fans subscribe. NASCAR fans are not just country music loving, beer guzzelling hillbiilies, either. In fact, statistic prove that the NASCAR fans have the highest average family income of any major sport including NFL, NHL, PGA, NBA and MLB. Most of us are white collar professionals and while many love country music, many of us actually HATE country and prefer rock.

As for the Daytona, it is as big an event for race fans as the Superbowl is for football fans. I don't recall too many people being pissed when the boys did half time at the Superbowl in 2002. In my house, we count down to Daytona like some people count down to Christmas, and we have a get together with close friends. This year, my friends thought it was great that, as they sat in my living room and looked at my U2 wall on one side of the TV and my NASCAR wall on the other, I got to have a coming together of my 2 favourite things!