What are your thoughts?

wontreach1000posts

While sifting through all the posts on here and seeing that there was little intellectual discussion on U2, I felt a need to post this.  Every time that U2 bring out a new album, I am always curious as to that what makes them great.  Bono has a mediocre voice that has as much variance as a crow's croak.  Edge has a defined guitar riff that is used continually and sometimes deviates from the script but he is no Jimi Hendrix. I am being harsh.  Diabolically harsh. Altogether harsh.

When Larry got the band together, no one thought it was going to be as big as it has become.  Even today, the band is growing. Band breaking records are nothing new for U2.  Each concert tour is another feat of genius. It's a testament to their collaboration with key individuals in key areas.  Deviating from certain "rock styles" has been a tool that has helped them to reinvent themselves.  And it has worked magnificently for them.

I think it's their honesty. Their passion. Their rawness. It just makes them something you want to listen to. Never mind that Edge still plays basic riffs. Never mind that sometimes there's an off note or a cracking voice. Their imperfection attracts the imperfect. also known as, everyone.

when i first discovered u2 i was 14 years of age and all my friends were getting into techno. each one of them used to wear the baggy "fila" jeans that they bought in "hairy legs". but i was listening to U2. everyone thought i was a prune for listening to their crap. i may have been, but U2 are still around and all the other bands no longer exist, at least not in the mainstream. does that make me a better judge of music? are you one of those, who like me, got scorned for your belief in U2?

• Subscriber
when i first discovered u2 i was 14 years of age and all my friends were getting into techno. each one of them used to wear the baggy "fila" jeans that they bought in "hairy legs". but i was listening to U2. everyone thought i was a prune for listening to their crap. i may have been, but U2 are still around and all the other bands no longer exist, at least not in the mainstream. does that make me a better judge of music? are you one of those, who like me, got scorned for your belief in U2?
fila jeans are shit!

• Subscriber

i dont think bono's voice is mediocre at all, although it is prone to croak on occasions. Its obvious to me why they got so big ....the music is normally so good ....good melodies and good lyrics (most of the time), and of course they are just so good live!!!.

you can have great music ....but if you cant perform then its just not the same