What I do/don't want for the next album...

eaplatt

• Subscriber

Look I don't know what to say really so I'll rant and think aloud as usual.

In some ways, I think U2 were out of ideas and didn't know where to go with NLOTH (as the title suggests) which is why they ended up ditching the Rick Rubin sessions, got old mates aboard to produce NOLTH and just sampled themselves (their previous works and subject matter) a fair bit. They were obviously trying to recapture the Achtung sessions by going back to Morocco.

I have been trying to tell myself that NLOTH maybe a bit like Pop and ahead of its time - but that's silly really - Pop was definitely ahead of its time and it sounds very fresh today in comparison to some of the rubbish that's around in the pop scene at the moment. NLOTH on the other hand... I dunno - I struggle with this album - I don't think it has the substance or longevity overall. Bono hailed it as "Achtung Baby on steroids" but that's clearly not the case - to me, NLOTH seems like an overly-calculated affair - it has its moments, but I think it's largely contrived and ultimately forgettable.

If U2 were trying to "recreate" the Achtung Baby era with NLOTH (as the parallel sequence of JT meets ATYCLB and R&H meets HTDAAB suggests) then they may risk going more electronic and experimental with the next album (e.g. Zooropa) - but I don't think so - because their overly cautious approach this decade would suggest otherwise. I hope they prove me wrong. I'd like them to throw out something completely off the wall in 2010!!!

The U2 of the 2000s has produced some great songs - but they have also been clearly focussed on mass sales and maintaining their egos as "the biggest band in the World" (cases in point - three greatest hits albums in quick succession) and I think that agenda is getting in the way of them showing some truly inspirational and visionary stuff.

www.atu2.com has published rumours that the band has been tidying up older songs for yet another greatest hits album. If that is true and they do release another greatest hits album this year (or even next year), I would have to say I'm done with U2 because that to me would be the final indication that they're just in it for the money and no longer interested.

Sorry to be a downer. Feel free to ignore. I guess I'm ultimately dismayed with the state of the music industry at the moment - I feel U2, regardless of their legendry status, are still beholden to the wishes of Universal Music -

bland seems to be the go and you have to look very hard to find something challenging or even interesting in the pop business at the moment. Maybe I'm getting old......

Please don't get me wrong - I love this band and what they have contributed and represented across the past 20 or so years - I guess I just want to see that continue....

no line is NOTHING like achtung my friend! never was meant to be, never will be. its a good album for me, but in no terms have i listened to it i though OH YEAH ACHTUNG! to me no line is more like unforgettable fire, esp with the bonus track of the remaster disappering act. that sounds like a leftover from the no line sessions.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Fortitude']Look I don't know what to say really so I'll rant and think aloud as usual.

In some ways, I think U2 were out of ideas and didn't know where to go with NLOTH (as the title suggests) which is why they ended up ditching the Rick Rubin sessions, got old mates aboard to produce NOLTH and just sampled themselves (their previous works and subject matter) a fair bit. They were obviously trying to recapture the Achtung sessions by going back to Morocco.

I have been trying to tell myself that NLOTH maybe a bit like Pop and ahead of its time - but that's silly really - Pop was definitely ahead of its time and it sounds very fresh today in comparison to some of the rubbish that's around in the pop scene at the moment. NLOTH on the other hand... I dunno - I struggle with this album - I don't think it has the substance or longevity overall. Bono hailed it as "Achtung Baby on steroids" but that's clearly not the case - to me, NLOTH seems like an overly-calculated affair - it has its moments, but I think it's largely contrived and ultimately forgettable.

If U2 were trying to "recreate" the Achtung Baby era with NLOTH (as the parallel sequence of JT meets ATYCLB and R&H meets HTDAAB suggests) then they may risk going more electronic and experimental with the next album (e.g. Zooropa) - but I don't think so - because their overly cautious approach this decade would suggest otherwise. I hope they prove me wrong. I'd like them to throw out something completely off the wall in 2010!!!

The U2 of the 2000s has produced some great songs - but they have also been clearly focussed on mass sales and maintaining their egos as "the biggest band in the World" (cases in point - three greatest hits albums in quick succession) and I think that agenda is getting in the way of them showing some truly inspirational and visionary stuff.

www.atu2.com has published rumours that the band has been tidying up older songs for yet another greatest hits album. If that is true and they do release another greatest hits album this year (or even next year), I would have to say I'm done with U2 because that to me would be the final indication that they're just in it for the money and no longer interested.

Sorry to be a downer. Feel free to ignore. I guess I'm ultimately dismayed with the state of the music industry at the moment - I feel U2, regardless of their legendry status, are still beholden to the wishes of Universal Music -

bland seems to be the go and you have to look very hard to find something challenging or even interesting in the pop business at the moment. Maybe I'm getting old......

Please don't get me wrong - I love this band and what they have contributed and represented across the past 20 or so years - I guess I just want to see that continue....

no line is NOTHING like achtung my friend! never was meant to be, never will be. its a good album for me, but in no terms have i listened to it i though OH YEAH ACHTUNG! to me no line is more like unforgettable fire, esp with the bonus track of the remaster disappering act. that sounds like a leftover from the no line sessions.

Yeah, I thought NLOTH was more like The Unforgettable Fire and bits of Zooropa.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Fortitude']Look I don't know what to say really so I'll rant and think aloud as usual.

Yeah, I thought NLOTH was more like The Unforgettable Fire and bits of Zooropa.

yeah! fez sounds like zooropa ala passengers track indeed! white as snow reminds me of the first time in terms of style.

its the ENO effect! where as achtung doesnt have as much of the eno sound............

• Subscriber

U2 has produced this decade two "safe" discs which produced world-wide hits (BD and Vertigo), and when they tried to risk a bit they realised that spending 3 years rewriting songs over and over again isn't the formula to great albums...

In my opinion, U2 next's album must stay far from remixes (although I love Crazy Tonight remix!) and Jay-Z, and instead give their soul to producing great songs and following their first instincts.

Songs like WTSHNN appeared because U2 followed their instincts. So, to conclude, great songs appear by spending long hours of session, and by sticking with your first thoughts.

Other than that, I hope that they break into this new decade with something to remind the world that U2 still produces great music...

• Subscriber

i'm not that fussed, just can't wait for some new material, i don't want another 5 year wait maybe some acoustic material with irish pipes and traditional instruments would be good again, maybe a double album one record acoustic and the other 'the punk rock from venus' that we were promised =o)