POP

djscottu2

• Subscriber

BONO:  Pop is the sound of U2 trying to make an ode to club culture withoutn using the tools of dance music, which were loops and drum machines and pro tools . The Rythm section (Larry and Adam) objected. I thought we could have both, but they didnt really want any electronica. They rightfully pointed out that this wasnt what made us unique or extraordinary. I hate when common sense gets in the way of a good concept.

I think thats what makes "Pop" such a great CD.. the face that it isnt electronuica...  Adam & Larry

were right not to let them use electronica beats...  a very interesting musical concept.

I love this CD...  there is so much going on in the music on the first three songs...

Dischotheque...  put headphones and listen to this song and listen to all the effects and cool guitar riffs are in that song...  The Edge is great in that song

Do You Feel Loved - should be played in every dance club...  Its not Poppy its a great Dance Beat... but a a great bass riff... and edges guitar mad eit darker... not so hippity...  but still very danceable

MoFo - another great Larry Mullen beat... and bass line...  but edge put a little dark twist on it

If God Would Send His Angels -  BONO: If we could play like Prince that would have been top 10. Its a song of quiet anger at the way the world is and God's failure to intervene. There are a lot of argumnets with God on this record. He makes his biggest appearance on a U2 Album since "October". It Should have been called "Shouting at God" . But It does not chart my loss of faith. I think even the most mediocre minds can figure out that if your rattling on and on about how much you don't love somebody, it is evidence of passion. You cant be having an argument with god if you dont believe there is on.

Staring At The Sun -  I love this song..  definitely didnt get the credit it deserved. 

Last Night On Earth -  When they played this Live on the popmart tour i appreciated it more. A great Live song.  Id love to see them play this and Do You Feel Loved Live in the next few tours.

Gone - Another great song Live.  I thik what i love about this CD is that its different.. IGWSHA, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth and Gone, are just different than most U2. You can hear them experimenting and coming up with something amazing.

Miami - Definitely what im talking about...  Experimenting...  definitely not one of my favorite songs...  but definitely different.

The Playboy Mansion - This sounds like on the same idea of IGWSHA. Seems like it was Prince inspired.

If You Were That Velvet Dress - a great moody, U2 song. So mellow, Edges guitar is great.

Please - A great great song.  One of my favorite on this CD

Wake Up Dead Man -  Another song fighting with God...  a great closing song ...  Edges guitar is great...  

POP is definitley not a POP CD. The title is what i think turned alot of people off... there are a lot of hidden gems on this CD. 3 first 3 songs are the only "Dancey" songs and I think Do you Feel Loved is like the Darkest dance song ever. Thats why its great!

** all Bono Quotes were taken from U2BYU2

MoFo - another great Larry Mullen beat... and bass line...  but edge put a little dark twist on it

If God Would Send His Angels -  BONO: If we could play like Prince that would have been top 10. Its a song of quiet anger at the way the world is and God's failure to intervene. There are a lot of argumnets with God on this record. He makes his biggest appearance on a U2 Album since "October". It Should have been called "Shouting at God" . But It does not chart my loss of faith. I think even the most mediocre minds can figure out that if your rattling on and on about how much you don't love somebody, it is evidence of passion. You cant be having an argument with god if you dont believe there is on.

Lad, thanks for your view on POP.  Two of my favourite songs on that album are MOFO and If God Would Send His Angels

In relation to MOFO, the Edge adds something to the song that I just wish was developed a bit more.  There is a riff there that creates a hero that dies.  If the hero could have lived, would I have loved it more?  Possibly ... but we'll never know.

If God Would Send His Angels is one song that I used to play over and over again.  The words have great meaning for me as a person.  This song, along with When You Look At The World on the ATYCLB album, provides an incite into a man who heads up one of the most powerful rock bands in the world. They seem to indicate the man's realisation that he is limited in his power to change the world into a better place.  In If God Would Send His Angels, he is pleading with God to make a difference... then when he gets to When You Look At The World, he's no longer pleading but questioning God on a number of levels - how he can be so patient, why he doesn't intervene, "what is it that He sees"... and so on.

• Subscriber

Just to keep it simple - I love Pop, really good album. Each song has a certain meaning to me. It takes me get to a good time in my life and the memories come back.

Just to keep it simple - I love Pop, really good album. Each song has a certain meaning to me. It takes me get to a good time in my life and the memories come back.

Just to complicate it again - tongue.gif

Lad, thanks for your view on POP.  Two of my favourite songs on that album are MOFO and If God Would Send His Angels

In relation to MOFO, the Edge adds something to the song that I just wish was developed a bit more.  There is a riff there that creates a hero that dies.  If the hero could have lived, would I have loved it more?  Possibly ... but we'll never know.

If God Would Send His Angels is one song that I used to play over and over again.  The words have great meaning for me as a person.  This song, along with When You Look At The World on the ATYCLB album, provides an incite into a man who heads up one of the most powerful rock bands in the world. They seem to indicate the man's realisation that he is limited in his power to change the world into a better place.  In If God Would Send His Angels, he is pleading with God to make a difference... then when he gets to When You Look At The World, he's no longer pleading but questioning God on a number of levels - how he can be so patient, why he doesn't intervene, "what is it that He sees"... and so on. 

• Subscriber

I LOVE POP! i decided not to buy it after lending it from a friends friend... i was in the R&H-stage still...i thought WTF is this???

bought the Best of couple of years later and after playing and replaying songs like staring at the sun and gone made me hungry for more... i lent it again from library (couldnt find it in record-stores) and discovered please, do you feel loved and walk up....and fell in love with it! made me a copy..embarassed.gif

and found + bought the real thing couple of months ago! enjoy listening to it at least once a week....

edit: wonder if mummy is gonna quote and post 3rd time??

• Subscriber

Enjoying this thread . . . thanks Dj! When I first heard Discotheque, it hit me like a slap in the face and I was thinking, wtf even while tapping my feet and singing along - quickly became one of my guilty pleasures. Gone, Staring at the Sun, Do You Feel Loved - all just brilliant. Right now, Please, If God Would Send His Angels and Wake Up Dead Man are my favorites on the album. I never cared for Miami or Playboy Mansion much, but I don't really know why. Those songs just never reached out and grabbed me like the others. For some reason, Velvet Dress makes me sleepy . . . I know, sexy voice and all that, but just makes me a bit too mellow, I think, lol. Overall, a great album.