Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

xtraspicy62

Im not having too much trouble so far, but this thread is for my friends, neighbors, relative, co-workers, and associates who do still smoke and are having a tough time of it...

I was inspired by you, Kelly to start it!

screamingflower, my mom caught me smoking her cigs, and the look on her face was one of pure horror! she had had cancer in her liffetime, and her biggest fear was that it would come back...

so she looked at me, grounded me for 2 weeks, and promptly quit cold turkey! she never looked back and she never had a rrelapse of her cancer....

being a mom can do marvelous things.....

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your mom handled the situation beautifully.

Your bit of misbehaving turned her life around and taught you a valuable lesson.

I think you just showed a glimmer of where your kindness and compassion comes from.

that was such a beautiful thing to say! thanks for that...when i was a child she would tell me that god is in everyone, and that if i looked into their faces, i could see him...may sound corny, but i totally took her seriously cause i was only about 5 at the time..i decided to look right into people and see god...cause my mom told me so! LOL!, anyways, well, it musta worked or something!! she truly had a beautiful soul, she really did...
  • Subscriber

Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

I am on the smoking cessation pill, Chantix. For the first week you smoke as you regularly do while you are taking the pill(s).  You have to pick a stop smoking date which is a week from your start date (your first week on the medicine).  That day was today for me.  I'm done smoking and I have three more packs of pills plus the maintenance packs which also have 3 refills.  I'm doing well on this.  The Chantix is a drug that removes the nicotine craving. Should you slip up and smoke, you just continue to take the medicine and eventually you'll beat it. Should I screw up, my absolute no smoking anymore date is 4/25 which is my son's birthday.  I haven't told him yet, but I plan on it being one of his bday presents.

Many of my friends have successfully quit and stayed quit from using Chantix.

I've heard you can get really wicked dreams on Chantix. I've heard it's successful but has interesting side effects on your mental state. That's good it works for you. I wish you all the best with it. I'm too chicken to try it. laugh.gif

Me, I need to quit smoking. Actually I try every year but so far it hasn't taken yet. For me it's purely psychological. I can get over the actual nicotine  craving just fine in about a week or two but the psychological part is a real bitch. I haven't been able to make it past one month. tongue.gifohwell.gif

• Subscriber

Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

I am on the smoking cessation pill, Chantix. For the first week you smoke as you regularly do while you are taking the pill(s).  You have to pick a stop smoking date which is a week from your start date (your first week on the medicine).  That day was today for me.  I'm done smoking and I have three more packs of pills plus the maintenance packs which also have 3 refills.  I'm doing well on this.  The Chantix is a drug that removes the nicotine craving. Should you slip up and smoke, you just continue to take the medicine and eventually you'll beat it. Should I screw up, my absolute no smoking anymore date is 4/25 which is my son's birthday.  I haven't told him yet, but I plan on it being one of his bday presents.

I've heard you can get really wicked dreams on Chantix. I've heard it's successful but has interesting side effects on your mental state. That's good it works for you. I wish you all the best with it. I'm too chicken to try it. laugh.gif

Me, I need to quit smoking. Actually I try every year but so far it hasn't taken yet. For me it's purely psychological. I can get over the actual nicotine  craving just fine in about a week or two but the psychological part is a real bitch. I haven't been able to make it past one month. tongue.gifohwell.gif

[quote name='Shannon387 wrote:

ceallach67']Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

i heard bad stuff about chantix, but if it works for you, then thats really good news, bc stopping is going to be one of the most important things youve ever done.

im not a fan of these kinds of drugs, so im not taking it...i would rather bite my fingernails and exercise like a demon, until my demons are excorcized!!

[quote name='smile.gifsmile.gifShannon387 wrote:

ceallach67']Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

but at least ur working on it and its always there in the back of your mind as a goal...one day you'll build up the strength after all the years of what seems to be a mental preparation for it.....baby steps

• Subscriber

Visited Disneyland a week ago(what do you call that thing that spins, across Captain EO??)in Tomorrow land and they have an exhibit about the future and current technology/home decor etc...and they have a place where you sit down and it takes (scans)a picture of you and what you'll look like years from now(in old age)It's kinda creepy, I refused to see what I'm gonna look like. It will scar me...lol....and it has a smoking box to check. To see what happens to your face IF you smoke. As in weight gain as well. According to this exhibit smoking increases wrinkles, sags your face and definitely ages you more. So..that's a good incentive to quit! To stay pretty.

Archived