Jump to content

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here


xtraspicy62

Recommended Posts

I don't chew gum myself, but I'm wondering if it would keep your mouth occupied, lol??? Might be worth a try.
I heard that it makes your mouth salivate, and therefore you actually want to keep putting more stuff in your mouth in the long run...IDK, LOL! does this work for anyone here?
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:


Janette B']Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

aw man! hes sooo young! I'm sure he is feeling invincible right now because of his age. is he involved in sports?

sports can help a young person to quit/see the importance of being able to keep heart and lungs healthy!

Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:


barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

 

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

 

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

 

 

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

 

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

 

sorry to hear that kelly! oh, what will she do if a clot travels to the wrong area? all these peeps that cant quit, I'm starting to wonder if nicotine is #1 in addiction over crack cocaine.....this stuff on this thread is so scary

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

 

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

 

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

 

 

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

 

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

 

sorry to hear that kelly! oh, what will she do if a clot travels to the wrong area? all these peeps that cant quit, I'm starting to wonder if nicotine is #1 in addiction over crack cocaine.....this stuff on this thread is so scary

Ah, yeah, she's been in and out of the hospital for this and was even warned before it got to this stage that she needed to quit smoking or at the very least cut back.  She still continues to smoke her 2-3 packs a day.  In fact, she got in trouble by smoking in the bathroom of her hospital room the last time she was admitted!

 

You know,  they say that cigarettes are as addicting if not more addicting than heroine and just as tough to kick. eek.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:


Janette B']Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

 Let's hope for the girlfriend to be a factor.  But truly, coming from one who started smoking when I was in my 20s... I knew of the dangers, was told of the dangers and all of the bad that comes with smoking and still, I couldn't be told either.  Just one of those things I chalk up to stupidity in my life.  The only person that can convince your son to stop smoking or to not smoke is himself.  Maybe a trip to work with you to see how it can effect people's health and lives could help some? Then again, when we are young, we all tend to think we are invincible and beyond that kind of thing.  Or we kid ourselves by saying we won't become addicted to smoking like that and there's always that cliched lie we tell ourselves, "I can quit anytime". 

 

Really sorry Barbara, I do hope your son listens to you and quits smoking before it becomes a too hard to break habit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks, forgive me if this has been typed before, but my better half has quit many times, it's lifelong demon. (as can attest a few icons associated with this fan base)....I was just about to scoop up Champix for my quitter, who has used patches and gum,  but am cautioned by what I found about

 

Anyway, be careful!, especially if mixing stimulants:

 

http://www.champixruinedmylife.com/

 

Interesting video released by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) in the US which was subsequently removed. I wonder if Pfizer had any influence in this decision? being the worlds #1 pharmaceutical giant.

 

http://whyquit.com/videos/FDA-SHOW74-SEG3.MPG

 

http://www.whyquit.com which is a site packed with useful information for people who want to quit smoking in a safer way.

 

WhyQuit.com - a free online quit smoking forum offering motivation, education, skills development, counseling and serious group support

 

2009 FDA ACTION UPDATE: Since the below article's original publication on April 2, 2008 the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) announced on July 1, 2009 that Chantix must carry a black box warning, the FDA's highest warning level. This FDA site link discusses the new warning and allows viewing of September 2009 FDA video on the black box warning update.

fda_chantix_video.jpg

WARNING: As advised by the FDA and Pfizer, "If either you, your family or caregiver notice agitation, depressed mood, or changes in behavior that are not typical for you, or if you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away."WARNING: Do not rely upon any information in this article, including comments made by other Chantix users, to replace individual consultations with your doctor, pharmacist or other qualified health care provider.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Yes, very well aware of the dangers of CHANTIX. But it is a good thing that you posted that ATTS. You can't get CHANTIX unless it is prescribed by a Doctor. Like anything, if you take it right, you are honest with the Doctor before it is prescribed, than you should be okay. But if you do experience any depression you should tell your doctor and stop taking it immediately. The dangers clearly state that if you have had any bouts with clinical depression or other mental illnesses, you should NEVER, EVER take CHANTIX.

 

The most common side effect that I have heard people talk about and have experience is weird or unusual dreams. I've talked to some friends who say they had nightmares, but most of the people I know who have taken CHANTIX just say they had some strange dreams, myself included. The other common side effect is nausea after taking the morning pill. I have that too. You must take it with food and drink a lot of water when taking it as the intructions tell you to do. The nausea only lasts about 10-20 minutes or so and it isn't overwhelming. Not everyone has these side effects but a few that I spoke to who took it before me did and I knew what to expect going in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:


Janette B']Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

Yes, so young! At 16, you think you know so much and nothing bad will ever happen to you and I imagine that the cigarettes make him feel kinda grown up and cool, huh? Problem is, as you know, by the time he outgrows those ideas, he'll be addicted.  Keep at him, even though he knows the dangers, maybe, just maybe you'll find a crack in his armour. Hope the non-smoking girlfriend has some influence . . . just speaking for myself, I never dated a guy who smoked 'cause I detest the smell and I'm allergic to the smoke, cannot stand to be around it . . . so, maybe, maybe? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

thanx to all who care bout my son! and yes , i know when you're round that age, you cant even imagine being sick let alone dieing... i do hope he'll quit in time.

neither me or my love ever smoked, but i know its hard cause both my parents tried it. my mom succeeded when she got pregnant again (she did stop while she was carrying me, but first thing she did after given birth was having a smoke!) this time she managed to stay off the cigarettes. my dad tried lots of things, but is still smoking.

and i hope you 're all careful with the medicins, and ask a doctor when you have a problem with it.

good luck again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...