Lansdowne Road in 2011??

Rob Davidson 2

• Subscriber

Woul be great place to play - saw it under construction a couple of months back and is going to be a great looking stadium and needs a great looking band to play in there!

• Subscriber

they should inaugurate this year with a free concert of course

after all they are multi-millionaire

but it's true it's hard to do it .. so many fans how can they do ? they can't

at least in a stadium

• Subscriber
they should inaugurate this year with a free concert of course

after all they are multi-millionaire

A Free concert would indeed be cool but they tried to do it before in Dublin & it just won't happen Actarus! I think its a lot to do with crowd control- too dangerous!!! Remember Berlin not so long ago! Ended up with crazy scene-dangerous and bad PR!!!

I remember the time 'The Phoenix Park gig was mentioned;the pundits estimated that the crowd would be in excess of the crowd that went to see The Pope there in 1979-that would be in excess of 1 million people... I don't think the Emergency Services are equipped or funded to deal with something like that either!! It would have to be a lottery situation if it were to work I think... There are all kinds of rumours for next year- The Claw in Slane even being one of them...

In my reckoning, I think U2 not playing Ireland this year could do with the following, despite what The Edge said:

Last years shows started while it was still daylight-true lighting effects not seen! In order to see the lighting effects, the ideal time to have a show in Ireland would be end of August start of September... The show won't arrive back to Europe until August and this would rule out Croke Park cos its right  near the end of the G.A.A championship season.. even if one was to blame the local residents objecting- a show would not take place at this time of the year cos of the games.. any later than that time of the year and the weather is even worse than usual,,, There is simply no other large sized venue in Ireland to house the show so they would have to consider doing 4 or 5 shows with 40,000-50,0000 max at each show.. That would probably mean having to have the stage in place at the one venue for over 1 week...

Rugby pitch surface would suit a U2 concert way better so hopefully if they haven't finished up the tour next year I am keeping my hopes up for U2 in Ireland next year!!!!!

• Subscriber
yes we thought about the same thing at the same time
The songs in your head are now on my mind.............

If you think of a U2 song reading that line then we think the same thought once more!

• Subscriber
yes we thought about the same thing at the same time
The songs in your head are now on my mind.............

If you think of a U2 song reading that line then we think the same thought once more!

• Subscriber

my view is from outside but it appears clear (like water) that the band and the city of dublin both have made mistakes this recent years but it's never too late to repair. the two parts needs to put water in their wine and this things done it will be a hope. they need to canalize their egos.

it's an Irish story

i should say .. in their whisky

• Subscriber
my view is from outside but it appears clear (like water) that the band and the city of dublin both have made mistakes this recent years but it's never too late to repair. the two parts needs to put water in their wine and this things done it will be a hope. they need to canalize their egos.

it's an Irish story

i should say .. in their whisky

A look from the outside can indeed be insightful!! I can understand your point of view.. maybe I'm wearing the rose tinted specs I dont know!!! You remind me of this below:

Ego warriors: U2 speak out on rock-star hypocrisy

Over the years, U2 have taken many a kicking. But the band believe they're unjustly maligned for their unique brand of 'stadium activism'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/30/u2-rock-star-hypocrisy-activism

Gone off topic sorry Rob Davidson 2.... Now to play Whiskey in the Jar as Actarus has reminded me! and maybe a sup of the rare old stuff too!