Spider-Man Song Premieres

MacFoley

• Subscriber

From U2: A Song for Spidey

By PATRICK HEALY

Therock band Carney on Tuesday unveiled a new song by U2, “Boy Falls fromthe Sky,†an emo-like mix of ballad and hard, aching energy that isintended as a major number in Act II of the coming Broadwaymega-musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.†Bono and the Edge wrote“Boy†and a dozen more songs for the show, their first Broadwaymusical, which has suffered production delays because of financialproblems but is expected to begin performances in New York this fall.

Reeve Carney, the singer-frontman of the band that bears his name,is set to play Peter Parker and Spider-Man on Broadway, though he didnot act in character while performing “Boy†at a luncheon honoring themusical’s director, Julie Taymor. It was the first time that Mr. Carneyhad performed a U2 song from “Spider-Man†before several hundredBroadway artists and producers; his singing voice sounded both youngerand sharper-edged than Bono’s.

In the musical, Peter Parker sings the number after his loveinterest, Mary Jane, has been abducted and his superpowers are gone.The song was by turns romantic and introspective, with lyrics like “youcan change your mind/you can’t change your heart†and “I did not haveto move so far/to find myself alone.â€

http://artsbeat.blogs.nyt...om-u2-a-song-for-spidey/

• Subscriber

u2 never said they would perform the songs though did they? on live on the shows. they are only writing the music. anyway its not u2 is it, i thought it was always bono and edge doing the writing.

• Subscriber

they also didn't say that they won't use it as a new material to put on the show .. they gave themselves the possibility ..

a dozen of songs .. they re working on that from 2006 before no line on the horizon ..

what will be the final result ! ! that starts to be thrilling

• Subscriber
u2 never said they would perform the songs though did they? on live on the shows. they are only writing the music. anyway its not u2 is it, i thought it was always bono and edge doing the writing.
That's right...Bono and Edge wrote these songs for Spiderman. I wouldn't expect to hear U2 playing them. They'll probably be some good tunes, though. If I can afford it I'll probably check out the show when it opens in the fall.

• Subscriber
No, they never said they'd play them that I heard.