Should U2 have cut mistakes from the final cut of U2 360 Live at The Rose Bowl?

wezman

• Subscriber

[quote name='Claire T wrote:

Janette B']I think that they should have left it as it was, gaff and all. Remember during Elevation (Communications cd) when he starts coughing and ends up saying he had a frog in his throat? I LOVE that part and I'm so glad they didn't edit it out!

agreed if I didn't want the funny bits or the sad bits 'd listen to the album The whole point of going to a gig is to see the band in their natural form warts and all! So what if The Edge plays a bum note or Bono forgets the lyrics it's life and it happens and that's what makes it so wonderful lol

yes!!! leave them in!! these are the parts i always show to me kids: saying "see now? its live!!" cause they're always teasing me, saying bono cant sing live, he's just playbacking?! mad.gifcan you believe them kids?! they only do it tostire me up....works everytime! lol!embarassed.gif

btw: what is a  gaff, and when did it happen in the breath song?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Janette B']I think that they should have left it as it was, gaff and all. Remember during Elevation (Communications cd) when he starts coughing and ends up saying he had a frog in his throat? I LOVE that part and I'm so glad they didn't edit it out!

agreed if I didn't want the funny bits or the sad bits 'd listen to the album The whole point of going to a gig is to see the band in their natural form warts and all! So what if The Edge plays a bum note or Bono forgets the lyrics it's life and it happens and that's what makes it so wonderful lol

yes!!! leave them in!! these are the parts i always show to me kids: saying "see now? its live!!" cause they're always teasing me, saying bono cant sing live, he's just playbacking?! mad.gifcan you believe them kids?! they only do it tostire me up....works everytime! lol!embarassed.gif

"Gaff "or mistake whichever you please, i was trying to be witty. Check out youtube for the messed up lyric, he messes up the line" i wouldn't buy just anyone's cockatoo". Who knows how much editing was in previous dvd's, but the shows from the older video's weren't streamed live across the globe.

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

btw: what is a  gaff, and when did it happen in the breath song?If your kids listen to Dragonforce....they have their guitar parts on tracks, when they play out. The guitar solos and all! Other bands play under the tracks....so they can hear themselves on stage, but the audience only hear the tracks over the P.A....some bands don't even know that! Other singers use the 'ducking' effect, where the singer will lip sync, then when he/she talks, it automatically 'mutes' the track, and his/her voice can be heard. With U2, the 4 play live, the only playbacks they have are the orchestral, ambient FX parts triggered by Terry Lawless....stuff that would only be possible to play live if they have a full orchestra in the background, and maybe some Foley artists. Terry also plays the keyboard parts live. The Edge/Lawless can trigger the 2nd/3rd guitar parts....unless Bono plays, or they bring in another guitarist to play the whole tour.

• Subscriber

thanx bflorendo! no dragonforce in belgium (at least i didnt hear of them) but when kids start teasing me again, i can say now, i learned from an insider that my favourite band isnt fooling us!!

and wezman, i was asking bout the gaff cause i never heard the word. (only cause i'm not an english-speaking zootop)

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

yes!!! leave them in!! these are the parts i always show to me kids: saying "see now? its live!!" cause they're always teasing me, saying bono cant sing live, he's just playbacking?! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

• Subscriber

i thought alot of the rose bowl has been edited if you ask me.

there were times larry was playing the drums and it was out of synch, also when bono was singing the words it looked out of time. other times the sound was so perfect, and if i remember bono's voice sounded more rougher on the youtube broadcast and on the sky 1 hour special, bono sounds pretty good! whats up with that?

elevation pete, on the vertigo tour dvd the editing is really bad if you look closly. larry is playing fills on screen already used in a shot before, and the whole frog in my troat part isnt really that bad as it adds to the live performance. but as a whole to me that whole vertigo dvd is a bit of a let down as i wasnt a fan of bono with the headband on (reminds me a little of embrassing dad moment) the blindfold and the mega speeches from bono which could have been editied out more than the frog in the throat moments.

all in all 360 looks very spectacular, but i must say im surprised edge's wonky solo on the moment of surrender was not edited, it is quite bad, but its only one song compared to the rest of the dvd.

i would have prefered breathe to have been added and moment of surrender to be excluded, or maybe in a little while because everyone knows, breathe is the opener, and nevermind bono screwing up a verse, its better than the wonky edge drunk sounding solo.

either way, i cant wait for monday bloody monday!

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

yes!!! leave them in!! these are the parts i always show to me kids: saying "see now? its live!!" cause they're always teasing me, saying bono cant sing live, he's just playbacking?!
mad.gif
can you believe them kids?! they only do it tostire me up....works everytime! lol!
embarassed.gif

If your kids listen to Dragonforce....they have their guitar parts on tracks, when they play out. The guitar solos and all! Other bands play under the tracks....so they can hear themselves on stage, but the audience only hear the tracks over the P.A....some bands don't even know that! Other singers use the 'ducking' effect, where the singer will lip sync, then when he/she talks, it automatically 'mutes' the track, and his/her voice can be heard. With U2, the 4 play live, the only playbacks they have are the orchestral, ambient FX parts triggered by Terry Lawless....stuff that would only be possible to play live if they have a full orchestra in the background, and maybe some Foley artists. Terry also plays the keyboard parts live. The Edge/Lawless can trigger the 2nd/3rd guitar parts....unless Bono plays, or they bring in another guitarist to play the whole tour.

I have to laugh as I went to see KISS on Bono's birthday and Paul Stanley was giving it all going on how they they don't have people under the stage or use any effect and such like! and the guy was full of it (No I don't like Paul Stanley I have a thing for bass players hehe) they used ECHO as Paul can't sing for shit or at least can't do the high notes (At least Bono can admit it) and i'm sorry they did use some sort of backing track coz it's bull crap if they didn't!

All bands use them one way or another big deal! At least they do PLAY live one way or another!

• Subscriber

Since they have to live with released mistakes forever instead of momentarily during a show, I don't mind editing when the mistake detracts from the particular moment.  I wonder how much of the Vegas backup shoot got used.

Syncing video to audio is an increasing pain with an increasing number of edits. Chicago must have been a nightmare of an editing job with video from multiple nights.

Since they have to live with released mistakes forever instead of momentarily during a show, I don't mind editing when the mistake detracts from the particular moment.  I wonder how much of the Vegas backup shoot got used.

Syncing video to audio is an increasing pain with an increasing number of edits. Chicago must have been a nightmare of an editing job with video from multiple nights.
I actually think at 3:14 in the video there is a shot of a Sam Boyd Stadium, maybe after they edited the show they found that out, and that's why they cut it from the show.