The real Gulf War has begun

wahine

I'm destroyed, f*cking destroyed. No line on the Horizon has become too prophetic for my liking. Deep water Horizon has DESTROYED everything. I just wanna hurt somebody, line up the BP bastards and let me at them. The oil has reached our Florida coast.  Economy, jobs, shutting down the shuttle, not getting the boats in, killing all our sealife, our way of life. There's gonna be a real war soon. BP was the final straw that broke the camels back for us Floridians. This government has failed us. *wahine grabs her sexy boots* Jesus Christ, if we can send robots to Mars, you would think somebody would have brought NASA in but no...the lack of leadership leads to mayhem. People here are so freaking angry, me included, but there is talk now of a real war brewing in the south. I cannot believe this is happening! Actually, I can. There was talk long before BP but now........checkmate.

• Subscriber

The oil spill in the Gulf is a travesty. I'm sorry to hear that is now reaching the Florida cost.  This is an absolute disaster.  I have read reports of the capping and stopping of the oil spill.  BP surely must be held accountable for their negligence in this case.

All that being said; what does war have to do with this? Are you implying that Floridians are or should be taking up arms against BP?  

In light of the tragedy that has stuck New Orleans, with now this on top of still having to deal with the repairing and reconstructing in the aftermath of Katrina, I would have to say that Floridians are bit better off in this case. For now, anyhow. With any hope, this situation will be under control soon. I can understand you feeling the government has failed you to a degree but I can't help feeling that the New Orleans residents top the list where that subject is concerned. It's just all very tragic and sad for all involved.

Hoping and praying the situation doesn't get any worse and the clean up efforts come along quickly for the sake of all (human and wildlife) who live along the Gulf Coast and have been affected by this environmental tragedy.

• Subscriber

All that being said; what does war have to do with this? Are you implying that Floridians are or should be taking up arms against BP?  

She might be referring to Cubans preparing to invade USA *giggles*

On a serious, note, however, it's a terrible disaster. I haven't followed the developments much, but I hope that BP stop new oil getting out asap - it's been open too long.

• Subscriber

What an amazing headline! Does Florida have THE BOMB? Otherwise your chances of success may be limited folks.

BP sucks. But ALL the big companies suck. Many of the small companies suck too. And people suck in general.

Aha...so that's why we're in a constant state of global war.

People suck.

Cut down more trees, grow more grain, feed more cows, dig more wells, drill more oil, buy more cars, consume, consume,consume. Just 15 more years until people are back on the menu.

Oh wait...this isn't Radiohead.com.

Sorry.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Kristaps wrote:

ceallach67']

She might be referring to Cubans preparing to invade USA *giggles*  I did think that the thread was going to be about that when I'd first read the title.

On a serious, note, however, it's a terrible disaster. I haven't followed the developments much, but I hope that BP stop new oil getting out asap - it's been open too long.

It is a terrible disaster all around for all involved.  Fisherman. shrimp boaters and many others are out of work because of this. Not to mention the wildlife that is suffering as well as a result of the oil in the water. Many are suffering.  Though while people are upset and angry over the spill and the toll the incident is taking on the water and coastlines, I hear very little from people recognising and extending sympathy in regards to the 11 people that were killed in that explosion. That's sad.

You're out of luck

And the reason that you had to care

The traffic is stuck

And you're not moving anywhere

Situation is awful, biblical even, but "the gov't" inherited a 30 year old technology and an oil industry that got cocky and greedy, and stalemated regulation. I've heard military generals say that the oil industry is the best equipped to attack this, and they use chemicals ("mud" = cement), "junk" (stuff the hole with rubber and debris, or try to cap it until they can retap it.

BP is the one who tipped the scales, but not the first. remember the Ixtoc?

http://www.npr.org/templa...oryId=127240657&ft=1&f=5

EXCERPT

FLATOW: You're listening to SCIENCE FRIDAY. I'm Ira Flatow. We're talking this hour about the Gulf oil spill. Let me read you something from the morning paper. This is from the New York Times.

Despite efforts to tame the well, it has flowed unchecked since it blew out. Emergency crews are trying to cap the well. Meanwhile, cleanup crews are attempting to contain most of the oil within floating barriers. Boats equipped with special skimmers are attempting to recover the oil, and a plane is sowing chemicals on the edges of the huge slick to help the oil decompose faster.

That's from the morning wait a minute. That was from the New York Times 31 years ago. That was the 1979 October New York Times, referring not to the Deepwater Horizon, but to the Ixtoc I well in the Gulf of Mexico, which also blew up when its blowout preventer failed - a little bit of deja vu.

And since 1979, we built a Space Shuttle. We've had the Hubble Telescope, the Internet, the microwave oven. We've sent robots to crawl on Mars. We've built electric cars. We have flushless toilets, TiVo and the iPad. But here we are, three decades later, and we're still using oil booms, skimmers, dog fur, hair and liquid detergent - and I think Dawn works the best, the dishwashing detergent - absorbent pads to clean up a spill, basically, which has now eclipsed the size of the Exxon Valdez to become the biggest one in American history. And we're doing the same thing as we did 30, 31 years ago. And even -listen to this: that these big drilling experiments offshore in deeper and deeper waters might end in disaster, well, that's in the paper, also.

The whole trend in oil exploration appears toward offshore and even deep-water reserves, and major - more major accidents seem inevitable. That's the story again in the New York Times in October of 1979.

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

ceallach67']

She might be referring to Cubans preparing to invade USA *giggles* 
I did think that the thread was going to be about that when I'd first read the title.

It is a terrible disaster all around for all involved.  Fisherman. shrimp boaters and many others are out of work because of this. Not to mention the wildlife that is suffering as well as a result of the oil in the water. Many are suffering.  Though while people are upset and angry over the spill and the toll the incident is taking on the water and coastlines, I hear very little from people recognising and extending sympathy in regards to the 11 people that were killed in that explosion. That's sad.

The families of those 11 people have been the most quiet, which it's extremely odd.  One widow has already spoken out and BP moved in fast to try and pacify these families.  It will all come out what when on with that rig.  Shortcuts and risks were taken and all the workers on that rig knew it and were not happy.

• Subscriber

The whoelthing is a mess. AND BARACK IS DOING A SHIT JOB FIXING IT

rather than just trying to get BP to fix it, WHY WOULDN'T YOU GET EVERY OIL COMPANY TO TRY TO HELP??????

this is a effin natural disaster, just like Katrina or any other disaster? why wouldn't you get all the help[ you can get.

and he hasn't once made a full address to the nation about it!!!

this is ridiculous, personally, i feel this will be worse for him than Katrina was for Bush.

Bobby Jindal (not that i particularly care for him) has shown his leadership capabilities much more than the President.

its a mess. there wont be a war because of this. it just shows how weak his Administration is.