Gone vs Last Night on Earth

jakabfy

I think U2 should play Last Night on Earth rather than Gone.

I think it is a much better song, what do you think?????

I hope someone sends this to U2 or one of them reads this.

Also, get well Bono and don't try to come back to early, take a year if you need to.

Mike GTA, Canada

• Subscriber

i like both songs very much too... but i love the lyrics from 'gone' : you're holding on to every little thing so tightly...till there's nothing left for you anyway. and: you hurt yourself, you hurt your lover then you discover.... what you thought was freedom is just greed. so touching and honest!

and the music and sound is so much more dramatic! specially the intro! wow... thats why i prefer this one live.

Gone by a long shot.

I'll tell you why...the lyrics are better.

"you wanted to get somewhere so badly, you kinda lose yourself along the way...you change your name but thats okay its neccessary, what you leave behind you don't miss anywhere... GOODBYE...you can keep this suit of lights..i'll be up with the sun...i'm not coming down... i'm not coming down...

you're taking steps that make you feel dizzy then you like the way it feels, you hurt yourself, you hurt your lover...

I'm already gone...felt that way all along ...closer to you everyday, i didn't want it that much anyway"

He is singing this to himself ...like two characters... he is saying "keep this suit of lights" to MacPhisto, or his alter-ego.

It's emotional because it was his own creation...he finally got what he wants, but he doesn't want it ..."didn't want it that much anyway" ... he realises the price he is paying is too much - hurting yourself, your love.

It is not worth the price of selling your soul ... this song is not just about fame ... it applies for anyone with an unhealthy ambition for something - you wanted to get somewhere so badly......you end up selling yourself....losing yourself - your integrity ... going down.

What I like is the contrast of "suit of lights" and "I'll be up with the Sun".

There is still a tugging at his soul though "are you still holding on????" ..."I'm not coming down!!!"

This is a song for anybody who is on the verge of selling their soul for a suit of lights ...don't do it...you can be up with the Sun ....don't sell out for a suit of lights.

Awesome song. Just can't get this sort of substance in Last Night on Earth. I find that song kinda annoying too ..."give it away..." bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh annoys me!

• Subscriber

Gone by a long shot.

I'll tell you why...the lyrics are better.

"you wanted to get somewhere so badly, you kinda lose yourself along the way...you change your name but thats okay its neccessary, what you leave behind you don't miss anywhere... GOODBYE...you can keep this suit of lights..i'll be up with the sun...i'm not coming down... i'm not coming down...

you're taking steps that make you feel dizzy then you like the way it feels, you hurt yourself, you hurt your lover...

I'm already gone...felt that way all along ...closer to you everyday, i didn't want it that much anyway"

He is singing this to himself ...like two characters... he is saying "keep this suit of lights" to MacPhisto, or his alter-ego.

It's emotional because it was his own creation...he finally got what he wants, but he doesn't want it ..."didn't want it that much anyway" ... he realises the price he is paying is too much - hurting yourself, your love.

It is not worth the price of selling your soul ... this song is not just about fame ... it applies for anyone with an unhealthy ambition for something - you wanted to get somewhere so badly......you end up selling yourself....losing yourself - your integrity ... going down.

What I like is the contrast of "suit of lights" and "I'll be up with the Sun".

There is still a tugging at his soul though "are you still holding on????" ..."I'm not coming down!!!"

This is a song for anybody who is on the verge of selling their soul for a suit of lights ...don't do it...you can be up with the Sun ....don't sell out for a suit of lights.

Awesome song. Just can't get this sort of substance in Last Night on Earth. I find that song kinda annoying too ..."give it away..." bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh annoys me!

actually i think your kind of right, on the same subject.

of gone its about

bono "right throught the 80's this is what we had to put up with. the idea that there was something morally superior in being an indie band. ive written a song now that's like a sense of guilt on us because we were succesful. the thing is, we always wanted to be one of the biggest bands in the world"

but really it might have something to do with bill graham, the hot press writer who was friends with the band. in miami they were working on the song, went to do a photo shoot then heard of bill's death. so rather than the song being the fuck-you to the begrudgers for what it was originally about it became a meditation on the superficiality and transience of success itself., over which the spectre of death hangs like a premonition.