Dealing with prejudice/bigotry

illumination70

In one of my previous threads I spoke about asking for prayers where letting go of a painful past was concerned.  Part of my past was dealing with bigotry while I was growing up.

The people who are the sources of the my "inner owwies" included a neighbor, a couple of teachers and a former employer.

The part which surprised me the most is how this still affects me today and I was recommended to do a letter-writing deal where I wrote letters to these people expressing how they hurt me and after I was done with these letters (but didn't mail them), a lot of the pain went away.

My question is, have you ever dealt with bigotry and how did you deal with it?

• Subscriber

Exactly the same Illume, I've been advised to write it down in letter form but not atually post them, the thing is I find it too upsetting when I attempt to write it down and don't know where to start with stuff that goes back such a long way and still exists in my life now.  I admire you for getting pen to paper, I find it hard to do but can imagine what a relief it must feel to get it down, like releasing it into black and white.

• Subscriber

I am lucky enough to have never had to deal with bigotry. But the idea of writing it down is a great one - it is amazing howe much putting a pen to paper can release feelings, thoughts etc... and can also help you to write your own conclusions and advice to these issues.

Anj - it shouldn't matter that you don't know where to start - start from wherever the first thought comes from. It must be so upsetting for you but getting the upset out is part of it all too.

• Subscriber
I am lucky enough to have never had to deal with bigotry. But the idea of writing it down is a great one - it is amazing howe much putting a pen to paper can release feelings, thoughts etc... and can also help you to write your own conclusions and advice to these issues.

Anj - it shouldn't matter that you don't know where to start - start from wherever the first thought comes from. It must be so upsetting for you but getting the upset out is part of it all too.

I know what you mean but I just can't do it yet, I've tried, even bought a nice sturdy A4 notebook conducive for purpose but it's too painful, maybe one day I''ll get some distance from it and will be able to do it, I hope so, it'd be a blessed relief to get it out of my head.

• Subscriber
hi girls, i just wanna ask what bigotry is? googled it , but the answer wasnt so clear?

it is someone who doesn't agree with anyone or anything different from their own views/ideas.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

barbara1']hi girls, i just wanna ask what bigotry is? googled it , but the answer wasnt so clear?

it is someone who doesn't agree with anyone or anything different from their own views/ideas.

okay, thanx!

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

barbara1']hi girls, i just wanna ask what bigotry is? googled it , but the answer wasnt so clear?

okay, thanx!

Anytime - us teachers need to help out!

I've dealt with a couple of those, and yes, writing letters turns out to be a great way to let go any negativity. As a matter of fact that's what I did, wrote a letter, realized that person was not going to change, and keep causing damage, so let go of that person, knowing I did as much as I could to heal that relationship.

Thing is you've just got to move on and surround yourself with people who make you feel better, people you appreciate and they appreciate you as well.

I've dealt with a couple of those, and yes, writing letters turns out to be a great way to let go any negativity. As a matter of fact that's what I did, wrote a letter, realized that person was not going to change, and keep causing damage, so let go of that person, knowing I did as much as I could to heal that relationship.

Thing is you've just got to move on and surround yourself with people who make you feel better, people you appreciate and they appreciate you as well.

I agree because why hang with people who are mean and cruel when you can hang out with friends.