do animals daydream?

xtraspicy62

• Subscriber

Oh yes I think so! My little black cat, he is the sweetest thing (ba-do-boom!) just stares blankly at, say the radiator or the wall or the back of a chair, for ages, it's so funny to catch him at it like he's going duhhhhhhhhh, I swear he is daydreaming about something...food probably or his best girl cat! You could say he has cat-atonic moments hee hee, bless him he's cuddled up next to me right now in the garden all sweet and peaceful:-)

Hmmmmmmmm maybe it's a black cat thing. Mine is very creative. He pretends there are monsters chasing him all the time and then he flies around the house at mock speeds and hides from these imaginary monsters and he's just playing but all by himself. Very funny!

• Subscriber

I think they can..... I know they can problem solve.. and how much different is that? You have to imagine different outcomes to different acts in order to problem solve... so I think they can.

Wouldn't it be great to "hear" them think? I can never imagine how that might sound... or maybe we would need to be able to "see" them think.

• Subscriber

Hmmmmmmmm maybe it's a black cat thing. Mine is very creative. He pretends there are monsters chasing him all the time and then he flies around the house at mock speeds and hides from these imaginary monsters and he's just playing but all by himself. Very funny!

Yes!! Mine too except in the garden when he thinks no one is watching, it's the funniest thing, I think they must be in touch with the kitten within!

• Subscriber

I think they can..... I know they can problem solve.. and how much different is that? You have to imagine different outcomes to different acts in order to problem solve... so I think they can.

Wouldn't it be great to "hear" them think? I can never imagine how that might sound... or maybe we would need to be able to "see" them think.

when I stick my ear to my cat's head as I often do in a cuddly moment all I hear is brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! LOLsmile.gif

Jeeeeeeezus....I almost thought about freaking....cats!

Lots of people say that what distinguishes us, us being humans (well, maybe not everyone), from animals is language. The ability connect words with objects, etc. I've always thought that to be such a typically arrogant human statement.

How many humans understand any 'animal speak'? Not many; whereas loads of animals have somehow managed to understand 'our speak'. Elephants will surround a dying member of their group, and stay until the end. How many humans do that?

The other night, I said to Demon after he'd eaten a few pieces of Chex Party Mix and obviously needed a drink of water, "Why don't you go and get a drink of water, you obviously need one". He gave me the, "you're right" look, hopped off the bed, went into the bathroom, jumped into the tub, and had a nice long drink from the faucet.

That sort of interaction between us is not uncommon, in fact, it's the norm. Of course, he isn't normal. Which works out really well for me.

• Subscriber
do you think an animal can have imagination?
I think they do. And I also think they have dreams (I've seen my cat 'speak' while sleeping the same way I sometimes do).

I live on 5th floor and have a cat who has never been outside on the street, in the grass, in the wild. And often I see him sitting on window sill and look over to the horizon. On moments like this I wonder what goes throu his mind: does he wonder what's over there, does he wonder how is it in that green thing? Does he ever feel lonely? Would he baldly go where he hasn't gone before if he had the chance? 

Does he miss other cats? Does he remember his childhood, his sisters and brothers? Maybe mom? Maybe just how it was - not to be confined in these 4 walls?

Does he know where we go in the morning and come back from in the evening? Does he want to join un?