Out of Control

1love

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

1love wrote:

123love']Question is ,sometimes we just have to let go , of what ??

Hes been through a hard time if hes written these lyrics himself..

Exactly!! of what?

Well, he certainly wrote those lyrics himself. And as far as what he'd been through up to that point in his life? Bono's mother had passed away when he was a teenager.  That's pretty traumatic. I Will Follow (among other songs; MOFO, Lemon, Tomorrow as examples) was written about his mother.

The whole song:

Monday morning
Eighteen years dawning
I said how long.
Say how long.

It was one dull morning
I woke the world with bawling
I was so sad
They were so glad.

I had the feeling it was out of control
I was of the opinion it was out of control.

Boys and girls to school
And girls they make children
Not like this one.

I was of the feeling it was out of control
I had the opinion it was out of control.

I fought fate
There's blood at the garden gate
The man said childhood
It's in his childhood

One day I'll die
The choice will not be mine
Will it be too late?
You can't fight fate.

The lyrics suggest he was 18 when the song was written. I always thought the song was about life and how we can't control the changes and such. Lots of changes and your view of your changing world at 18 can be very overwhelming.

quoting bono in u2 by u2:

it was the morning after my eighteenth birthday i wrote 'out of control'. there's a birthday song for you: objecting to being born. it is funny, it is teenage, i know, but it is an interesting idea for a song. and realizing that you have no say in the two most important things that happen to you: when you arrive and when you depart the planet. 'i was of the feeling it was out of control...'

i'm reéading this book for the very first time, and yes, from this quote its clear bono meant the 'out of control' as in 'not within your own control, out of your hands' just like 1love stated in his/her OP.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

1love wrote:

123love']Question is ,sometimes we just have to let go , of what ??

Hes been through a hard time if hes written these lyrics himself..

Exactly!! of what?

Well, he certainly wrote those lyrics himself. And as far as what he'd been through up to that point in his life? Bono's mother had passed away when he was a teenager.  That's pretty traumatic. I Will Follow (among other songs; MOFO, Lemon, Tomorrow as examples) was written about his mother.

The whole song:

Monday morning

Eighteen years dawning

I said how long.

Say how long.

It was one dull morning

I woke the world with bawling

I was so sad

They were so glad.

Boys and girls to school

And girls they make children

Not like this one.

I was of the feeling it was out of control

I had the opinion it was out of control.

I fought fate

There's blood at the garden gate

The man said childhood

It's in his childhood

One day I'll die

The choice will not be mine

Will it be too late?

You can't fight fate.

The lyrics suggest he was 18 when the song was written. I always thought the song was about life and how we can't control the changes and such. Lots of changes and your view of your changing world at 18 can be very overwhelming.

quoting bono in u2 by u2:

it was the morning after my eighteenth birthday i wrote 'out of control'. there's a birthday song for you: objecting to being born. it is funny, it is teenage, i know, but it is an interesting idea for a song. and realizing that you have no say in the two most important things that happen to you: when you arrive and when you depart the planet. 'i was of the feeling it was out of control...'

i'm reéading this book for the very first time, and yes, from this quote its clear bono meant the 'out of control' as in 'not within your own control, out of your hands' just like 1love stated in his/her OP.

Yup, I've read that already myself.  And I wasn't saying 1Love was wrong in any way with the interpretation, I was merely adding to the discussion. I only stated what I had personally thought and felt about the song.. 

• Subscriber

oh dear, ceallache, i didnt think you were saying 1love was wrong. sorry if i gave you that impression? i thought your words were very much in line with what he/she said. and i only wanted to confirm that the song really was written round his 18th b-day.

ps: gonna check out 1loves homepage now, cause i finally wanna know if its a he or a she... tired of typing both! lol!

• Subscriber

oh dear, ceallache, i didnt think you were saying 1love was wrong. sorry if i gave you that impression? i thought your words were very much in line with what he/she said. and i only wanted to confirm that the song really was written round his 18th b-day.

ps: gonna check out 1loves homepage now, cause i finally wanna know if its a he or a she... tired of typing both! lol!

Hey Barbara, that's cool.  Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated. happy.gif

• Subscriber

I co-authored a fan magazine back in 1992/1993 called, yup you guessed it, One Love.  We distributed several hundred copies.  Find it and you will know if I am a he or a she. 

...Actually, I'll save you the work and the suspense... My wife and I have three wonderful children.  I took my oldest to see U2 at Giant Stadium last year, which I have written about before.  After waiting in line all day, we stood in the front row at the outer circle catwalk.  When he/she went to school the next day he/she said "I was at a U2 concert."  The class said, "what, you were at a you tube concert?"

• Subscriber

I co-authored a fan magazine back in 1992/1993 called, yup you guessed it, One Love.  We distributed several hundred copies.  Find it and you will know if I am a he or a she. 

...Actually, I'll save you the work and the suspense... My wife and I have three wonderful children.  I took my oldest to see U2 at Giant Stadium last year, which I have written about before.  After waiting in line all day, we stood in the front row at the outer circle catwalk.  When he/she went to school the next day he/she said "I was at a U2 concert."  The class said, "what, you were at a you tube concert?"

A 'You tube concert'...roll.gif

Too funny.

Hey, I was at the Giants Stadium show last year, too!  Which date did you go the 23rd (which was originally the 25th before it was moved) or the 24th? I was at the 24th show.

• Subscriber

The first show that became the second.  The 24th.  That means we were at the same show!!!  It was the largest crowd ever at Giant Stadium that night!  I believe it broke the previous record set by Pope John Paul II visit. 

This is a true story.  We left for the concert early that day, like 5am.  We had about a three hour drive and I made it to the stadium without making one wrong turn.  Amazing.  But then I proceeded to get lost in the parking lot about 5 times. I had to keep stopping and asking for directions.  Frustrating, but I can laugh about it now.  I added a couple of pics from this show in my photos.  From the signs we made, you can probably tell we were hoping Bono would take my son up on stage during "City of Blinding Lights."  But, Bono picked a young boy out of the audience up by the left bridge. 

U2 shows are unbelievable.  Waiting with other fans all day and getting to know them is half the fun/experience.  I know that will be a day my son will remember for life.

• Subscriber

So we were at the same show... that's cool! Yeah, I remember Bono making that announcement. Funny when he apologized to Springsteen for breaking the record on his home turf and so close to his bday too. Haha!

Kudos on getting to the stadium w/o getting lost. :D My drive is only about an hour away. I was lucky enough to meet up with a Zootop at a Chili's near the stadium and followed him in so I didn't get lost getting to or in the parking lot. LOL! I did however, have a heck of a time trying to find another Zootop in the parking lot though if that counts for anything. Several phone calls later, I did finally find her. Have pics in my profile of tailgating with Zootops.

I will check your photos. That would have been very cool if Bono picked your son. Maybe this go round? Are you going to any shows on the 2010 er... I mean... the 2011 leg? Sounds like your son had a great time anyway. :)

U2 shows are an unbelievable experience for sure and I absolutely love meeting up with other U2 fans and fellow Zootops at the shows.

• Subscriber

[quote name=1love]I co-authored a fan magazine back in 1992/1993 called, yup you guessed it, One Love.  We distributed several hundred copies.  Find it and you will know if I am a he or a she. 

roll.gif what a funny story bout your daughter/son....

and the mystery goes on... and outta political correctness i should add the 'my wife and i have 3 children' doesnt exclude you from eather being male/female... wink.gif