Hello Mummy, You are logged in with a free account.

mummy

I see U2.com are messing around with the site a bit at the moment.  Some gradual changes taking place.  The most ridiculous is the one that I read at the top of the page when I log on (it's the title of this thread).  Do they think we are too stupid to realise whether we have paid or not?  Or is this some webmaster coming up with something different instead of the normal Welcome, mummy (not you? Click here!) <-- the grammatical errors are theirs. 

I know that a lot of you will be taking advantage of the pre-sales, so you might be enticed to get the subscription, get the new Free CD and get the code.... this now includes Australia and New Zealand.  The interesting thing about "Down Under" is that the combined population of both these countries is only 26/27 million people.  That's pretty small, when you think the much smaller island of Japan, which is about the same size as the United Kingdom (UK), has 117 million people.  In fact, if you left out Norway, Sweden and Finland, Australia is about the same size as the European Union (EU), yet the EU (minus Norway, Sweden and Finland) has a population of over 480 million people.  That's more than 20 times the number of people in Australia and New Zealand. 

What does this all mean?  It means, potentially, that the number of people who sign up for the Australian/New Zealand presales will be at least 20 times less than those that would sign up for European dates.  Similarly, the number signing up would be 15 times less than those that would sign up for U.S. dates. I think this explains why U2 don't tour Australia too often.

Saying that, I hope you folks in Australia and New Zealand enjoy the tour. 

I'm going to log out now with my free account.

Thanks for reading.  May the butt of bono be with you all! tongue.gif

• Subscriber
We do have a small population relatively Mummy, but we have a very high number of U2 fans per-capita.

Just out of interest, Australians spend the most money world-wide, per-person on concert tickets.

Is that because tickets for you are so much more expensive or just that more of you go to shows?

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

mick james']We do have a small population relatively Mummy, but we have a very high number of U2 fans per-capita.

Just out of interest, Australians spend the most money world-wide, per-person on concert tickets.

Is that because tickets for you are so much more expensive or just that more of you go to shows?

Good one Zhivvy.

I'm not sure of the answer.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

mick james']We do have a small population relatively Mummy, but we have a very high number of U2 fans per-capita.

Maybe also because acts tour there less often than U.S. or Europe, so higher demand?

• Subscriber

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

Maybe also because acts tour there less often than U.S. or Europe, so higher demand?

lol, let me clarify.

Australians attend more rock concerts than anyone else in the world per capita.

And just out of interest, 99% bands come here often, and 99% of concerts are the same price here that they are anywhere else.   The only shows that don't come here, or come here and jack the price up are U2 and Madonna - those acts who have custom stages/ rigs where that can't be hired off the local production companies.

In the last year we've had major tours by Muse, Pearl Jam,Pink, BEP, George Michael,  Pixies,  Faith No More, AC/DC. Underworld, Kasabian, and loads more, and coming up in the next few months we have Metallica, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Muse (for the second time in a year), The Eagles, Chemical Brothers, QOTSA, Slayer, Primus, etc etc.

We may be in the sticks from the point of veiw of those on the top half of the planet, but believe it or not, bands enjoy touring here - and generally they all come and play here in our summer to escape your winter!

• Subscriber

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

lol, let me clarify.

And just out of interest, 99% bands come here often, and 99% of concerts are the same price here that they are anywhere else.   The only shows that don't come here, or come here and jack the price up are U2 and Madonna - those acts who have custom stages/ rigs where that can't be hired off the local production companies.

In the last year we've had major tours by Muse, Pearl Jam,Pink, BEP, George Michael,  Pixies,  Faith No More, AC/DC. Underworld, Kasabian, and loads more, and coming up in the next few months we have Metallica, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Muse (for the second time in a year), The Eagles, Chemical Brothers, QOTSA, Slayer, Primus, etc etc.

We may be in the sticks from the point of veiw of those on the top half of the planet, but believe it or not, bands enjoy touring here - and generally they all come and play here in our summer to escape your winter!

We do have a small population relatively Mummy, but we have a very high number of U2 fans per-capita.

This is true!  And they don't spend it just on shows in Australia.  I had Aussies stay at my house a couple of years back because they were attending Springsteen shows around the U.S.  They stayed with other people in other cities.  We were all from a Bruce fan board.  They also travel to Europe or anywhere they can if they really want to see somebody and U2 is one of the top 3 they'll travel for. 

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Janette B wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

lol, let me clarify.

Okay, okay simmer down, lol . . . . you sound upset and I assure you that my comments were not intended to offend you! I never said nor have I ever thought that you are in the sticks. I know that bands tour Australia and I'm sure that bands enjoy touring there even though they are not escaping my winter as I'm in sunny southern California clap.gif- one day I will tour your country too. Just speculating based upon all the comments about U2 not coming, wasn't meant as anything derogatory about your country!!! Okay? Pretty please? cute.gif