What are you reading?

illumination70

I'm curious to know what books the other Zootopians are reading these days?   As for me, I'm reading something called "What Happy Women Know" by Dan Baker PHD.

I'm currently on a chapter which deals with the perfection myth and how it's a trap because our society often teaches women not to be happy with ourselves no matter what.

Enough about me, what you other U2 fans reading?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds interesting there i am currently on the millenium series steig larsen sweedish auther who died before he published in sweedish and then in english great books i on the last one... i will finish that very very soon and then a friend of mine bought me a long walk to freedom the autobiography of nelson mandella i have started it but it is a very very strong read but cant wait to get back into it.its great to get of the fictional books and go into non fiction i think.........

• Community Moderator

Just answered this in another thread, but here's what I said:

I just finished reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and really enjoyed it. It's about a French Jewish girl living in Paris in 1942 and a modern day journalist that uncovers her story. I could not put the book down.

• Subscriber

I just finished reading the last book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I highly recommend it. I loved those books! I'm currently reading the last book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. It's called City of Glass. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm supposed to be reading my collection management textbooks for school. Those are pretty boring, but I've got to read them. 

• Subscriber

Hey Melly, good choices!! I LOVE the Millenium trilogy, and I've even seen the first two movies. Excellent! (That is, the original Swedish movies... I know Hollywood is going to do remakes one of these days, and I have NO desire to see those!) And I haven't read Long Walk to Freedom in awhile, but I remember it vividly. A truly amazing story. BTW, this is a little OT, but if you want to see a great movie about Mandela (a true story), see Invictus.

I've mostly been into mysteries recently... been reading the Alex Cooper stories by Linda Fairstein. They're a nice break from school stuff. Also, one of my favorite mystery authors, Sue Henry, has a new book coming out in a few days, and I'd also like to read Nevada Barr's latest.

ah mysteries cheers for the authers love hearing wat others are reading....... invictus ive heard its a great movie but unfortunately not seen it yet but i have read the book and it very interesting....... yh would love tp watch the girl with the dragon tatoo i love readin crime or mysteries, great break from school stuff..... i recently read the bourne trillogy and now i cant watch the movies cos its a complete diff storey line to the books only similarity is the jason bourne charecter..............

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a new stack of books to dig into...but just polished off a few, before getting back into school.  All non-fiction, and one of them has to rank as perhaps the nerdiest book I've ever read, and that's saying a lot, y'know?  Perhaps the nerdiest (geekiest?) book/subject out there that doesn't involve mathematics.  Pause and Effect: Punctuation in the West by M.B. Parkes. Yes, a history of punctuation.  Read it to verify--yep, it's true--that most of the punctuation we use, as well as things like spaces between words, capital (majuscule) letters, etc., originated in Ireland (after the introduction of Latin with Christianity). The first chapter in the book is only ten pages long and has 120 (count 'em!) footnotes, heavy on the Latin. 

Also read The Book: A History of the Bible by Christopher de Hamel; guess I'm in a manuscript studies groove these days. Read parts of a collection of essays called Italy Before the Romans (D. and F. Ridgway, eds.), just for the bits about the Este and Golasecca cultures in northern Italy (both early Celtic cultures that got swamped out--or rubbed out--by the Romans). 

If it's any  comfort to you, I did pick up the latest issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer down at the local comics shop.  tongue.gif

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

I've just finished Instructions for living someone else's life by Mil Millington. laughed myself stupid the whole way through, its about a guy who wakes up one morning to find he's about 20yrs older, hard case following him sort his shit out.

I just finished An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (His writing is not as awesome as his youtube videos)

And I'm currently reading The Yellow House by Martin Gayford. It's about when the Artists Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin shared a house in Arles, France. Also the last couple months of Van Gogh's life before he killed himself. It is a very interesting read!