Do U2 fans like Jay Z? (Aust tour support)

UltraV

• Subscriber

For the last tour we had Kanye West as support. Now we have Jay Z? I hate these choices. It's not a type of music or scene I am into & is very different to U2. Last tour I skipped Kanye preferring to listen to the U2 tribute band in the nearby pub. 

Am I out of touch? Are you looking forward to Jay Z opening for U2?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I don't think you're out of touch. I posted similar thoughts in the Downunder official thread & got a bit of support.  I'm gutted we're getting Jay Z, Kanye was a worse call I think.  But when you compare these acts with what they're getting in Europe & the US you have to feel quite let down by whoever made this call.

Europe & the US (across Vertigo & 360):

Muse, Snow Patrol, Kasabian, Interpol, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, Black Eye Peas

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

Its a no brainer which shows are getting better support acts.  I'm willing to accept arguments about financial imperatives but lets just get a band from downunder - there is plenty of quality acts that U2 fans would love to see.

• Subscriber

I don't think you're out of touch. I posted similar thoughts in the Downunder official thread & got a bit of support.  I'm gutted we're getting Jay Z, Kanye was a worse call I think.  But when you compare these acts with what they're getting in Europe & the US you have to feel quite let down by whoever made this call.

Muse, Snow Patrol, Kasabian, Interpol, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, Black Eye Peas

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

Its a no brainer which shows are getting better support acts.  I'm willing to accept arguments about financial imperatives but lets just get a band from downunder - there is plenty of quality acts that U2 fans would love to see.

Realistically, Jay Z is bigger than all of the bands you've mentioned - bigger album sales and more fans.

I agree that Kasabian et al would be a lot more to my taste, but in this case the concept of "better" is pretty subjective.

They're brining one of the biggest acts in the world to open for them, so they're hardly skimping on the support.

I would point out the huge controversy linked to Jay Z's Glastonbury headline slot a couple of years ago.

For months leading up to the gig, everyone was appalled and dumbfounded by having him as headliner.

The he played.

And totally feckin rocked it!

I reckon you lot would be better off not winding yourselves up over this for the next 3 months.

If you do, you'll walk into the stadium ready to be let down by the concert.

At the end of the day, Jay Z is a mega star.

Open your minds a bit, you may enjoy it!

If not, grab a beer and think of some nice boobs for 45 mins.

• Subscriber

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

Realistically, Jay Z is bigger than all of the bands you've mentioned - bigger album sales and more fans.

I agree that Kasabian et al would be a lot more to my taste, but in this case the concept of "better" is pretty subjective.

They're brining one of the biggest acts in the world to open for them, so they're hardly skimping on the support.

I would point out the huge controversy linked to Jay Z's Glastonbury headline slot a couple of years ago.

For months leading up to the gig, everyone was appalled and dumbfounded by having him as headliner.

The he played.

I reckon you lot would be better off not winding yourselves up over this for the next 3 months.

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Reid NZ']I don't think you're out of touch. I posted similar thoughts in the Downunder official thread & got a bit of support.  I'm gutted we're getting Jay Z, Kanye was a worse call I think.  But when you compare these acts with what they're getting in Europe & the US you have to feel quite let down by whoever made this call.

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

The he played.

You have some good points, especially given the subjectivity of it all. My mind is not closed just knows what it would have preferred.

On a more interesting note do you know how these support acts actually get chosen? I was on the U2setlist site the other day & see that at times in NZ/Oz they've used local bands but they obviously don't these days, so why the change?

• Subscriber

[quote name='Reid NZ wrote:

mick james wrote:

Reid NZ']I don't think you're out of touch. I posted similar thoughts in the Downunder official thread & got a bit of support.  I'm gutted we're getting Jay Z, Kanye was a worse call I think.  But when you compare these acts with what they're getting in Europe & the US you have to feel quite let down by whoever made this call.

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

The he played.

You have some good points, especially given the subjectivity of it all. My mind is not closed just knows what it would have preferred.

On a more interesting note do you know how these support acts actually get chosen? I was on the U2setlist site the other day & see that at times in NZ/Oz they've used local bands but they obviously don't these days, so why the change?

The band chooses the act - but with that being said, the shortlist of those available would have to be linked to Universal or Livenation.

I got to see Muse open the NJ shows last year, and I'll agree, it suited my taste a lot more - that being said, vast majority of the NJ crowd had absolutley no idea who Muse were - the Aussies and Poms in the crowd were going nuts. In fact the people sitting next to us said "so how do you know this band??"

Jay Z would have got a bigger response than Muse at the Jersey shows.

In all honesty, U2 and Jay Z are great mates, and I imagine they chose him to come on tour, so that they had a few mates around to piss on with after the show, and to go to the beach with on days off.

U2 generally makes a holiday out of their trips to Oz/NZ, and as you probably know, it's fun to go away with some mates in tow!

• Subscriber

[quote name='Reid NZ wrote:

mick james wrote:

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

The he played.

The band chooses the act - but with that being said, the shortlist of those available would have to be linked to Universal or Livenation.

I got to see Muse open the NJ shows last year, and I'll agree, it suited my taste a lot more - that being said, vast majority of the NJ crowd had absolutley no idea who Muse were - the Aussies and Poms in the crowd were going nuts. In fact the people sitting next to us said "so how do you know this band??"

In all honesty, U2 and Jay Z are great mates, and I imagine they chose him to come on tour, so that they had a few mates around to piss on with after the show, and to go to the beach with on days off.

U2 generally makes a holiday out of their trips to Oz/NZ, and as you probably know, it's fun to go away with some mates in tow!

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Reid NZ wrote:

mick james wrote:

Oz & NZ:

Kanye West, Jay Z.

The he played.

Would be loose if they made more use of having JayZ there, these forums are so full of setlist moans that if JayZ got up & mixed it with U2 for SBS or something similar it would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.  But who knows, going to be great either way.

You're correct about having mates in tow, we're coming to the 2 brisbane shows just so we can head along with some mates who are real passionate also (we queued from 7am for brisbane last time - worth every second).