Lets Get Real about ending poverty

darrencooper

Love to get the opportunity to get on my high horse about poverty in 3rd world nations. Here in Australia our government just pledged $250M AU to help fight poverty particularly for children and mothers in the 3rd world. Remember 10 years ago the world said that it would promise to end starvation, build communities, assist in providing proper medical facilities, and education in 3rd world communities, yet here we are 10 years on and still 1 child's life ends every 2 seconds because of hunger, millions of young children die every year because of aids, and billions of people are at risk because of hunger, poor living conditions, lack of medical care and no education.

Hats off to you Bono for making a difference, but one man can only do so much! Lets all decide to stand together, and face our governments, because like it or not, if you are reading this message,chance is you are one of the top 5% of the richest and most blessed people on earth. The good thing is we have the freedom to vote, lets tell our politicians what is really important is giving, not just a hand out, because the truth is that most 3rd world governments are corrupt, so only a small portion of what is given ends up in the mouths of the needy, lets give our brothers and sisters across the globe a hand up. Lets stand together and be a voice for the silent ones... 

• Subscriber

People need to document it more because to people , seeing is believing and we just dont see enough of reality and frankly some of us cant or dont want to .But more graphic on tv would help on all channels where people have no choice but to at least see it once , as for me I barely support myself and daughter , and I cant give up internet bills or i'd have no life :o( and I need something to keep me going or im useless to myself and anybody else , which is the story for many as well, just getting by..

Nice post though.. :o)

• Subscriber

I might get alot of heat for this, but how about ending poverty going on in our own backyards because I see so much homelessness, hunger or lack of proper healthcare in many parts of the world including the US which really grills me.

Well said Illumi I think it is disgusting that there are homeless people on the streets in my country and we are supposed to be one of the 1st world countries.

A friend of mine who is a nurse went to Africa and on one street half of it was owned by the really rich affluent people practically living in mansions and across the street were people living in tents and shacks and basically crawling in the dirt with no clean water.  She decided she was not giving to charities in Africa anymore as their own people don't care about them.

It is the conscience of the corrupt leaders that needs to be blown apart (I was going to type pricked but that isn't working)

before any real changes are made.

I think shame is one of life's greatest teachers and we really need to shame these people into treating their own countrymen properly.

Actually I really don't have a clue what works best and I can't spell conshense. Maybe if we all sort our own countries out first then we could preach at them better but while we have homeless starving people in our own cities we really have nothing to bargain with because they can just take a trip and point out our own homeless and say "you've no room to talk." frown.gif

[quote name='shirley2010 wrote:

illumination70']  I might get alot of heat for this, but how about ending poverty going on in our own backyards because I see so much homelessness, hunger or lack of proper healthcare in many parts of the world including the US which really grills me.

Well said Illumi I think it is disgusting that there are homeless people on the streets in my country and we are supposed to be one of the 1st world countries.

A friend of mine who is a nurse went to Africa and on one street half of it was owned by the really rich affluent people practically living in mansions and across the street were people living in tents and shacks and basically crawling in the dirt with no clean water.  She decided she was not giving to charities in Africa anymore as their own people don't care about them.

It is the conscience of the corrupt leaders that needs to be blown apart (I was going to type pricked but that isn't working)

before any real changes are made.

I think shame is one of life's greatest teachers and we really need to shame these people into treating their own countrymen properly.

Actually I really don't have a clue what works best and I can't spell conshense. Maybe if we all sort our own countries out first then we could preach at them better but while we have homeless starving people in our own cities we really have nothing to bargain with because they can just take a trip and point out our own homeless and say "you've no room to talk." frown.gif

Exactly which is why I'm disgusted with the "I got mine" attitude which is popular with some wealthy types.

• Subscriber

nice posts here:

i agree with almost all. poverty in all countries should be banned. and you're right bout the aboriginals. 
one thing i don much agree with: the voting-comment.
we have a right to vote, but in the end politicians make the choice to stick to there promises.... or not. and i don know bout your government but ours more often dont keep the promise. during election-time they come with this overwhelming programme..... but then they form coalitions to get the power and different parties with different programms start to compromise.... and not much is left from the original ideals.... too bad.

I might get alot of heat for this, but how about ending poverty going on in our own backyards because I see so much homelessness, hunger or lack of proper healthcare in many parts of the world including the US which really grills me.

i really really love this statement i have stated this a few times. nice one.