Have you ever been a complete idiot-like me?

xtraspicy62

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear. Add me to the list of foot inserted in mouth people.

I was just thinking today that I said something last week that might have been offensive and I plan to talk to my co-worker and ask her. Have you ever used the saying, "The blind leading the blind." ??

This other gal and I were doing something for the first time at work but I thought she'd done it before and then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing either and I said, "Oh great. It's the blind leading the blind." and then we laughed. It's a fairly common saying.

Now the person I think this could have offended was not even in the room BUT she has a blind child and it occurred to me just today that that saying could be offensive but I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes I think we can get overly politically correct and yet i never want to be cruel or insensitive so I thought I'd ask her this week if that is a saying that is hurtful.

Oh dear. Add me to the list of foot inserted in mouth people.

I was just thinking today that I said something last week that might have been offensive and I plan to talk to my co-worker and ask her. Have you ever used the saying, "The blind leading the blind." ??

This other gal and I were doing something for the first time at work but I thought she'd done it before and then she admitted she didn't know what she was doing either and I said, "Oh great. It's the blind leading the blind." and then we laughed. It's a fairly common saying.

Now the person I think this could have offended was not even in the room BUT she has a blind child and it occurred to me just today that that saying could be offensive but I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes I think we can get overly politically correct and yet i never want to be cruel or insensitive so I thought I'd ask her this week if that is a saying that is hurtful.

thats really smart of you...i mean just quietly talk to her and find out her views. it shows you care and are willing to take the initiative in making things run smoothly at work...this is the people skills of a true leader..someone who wants to keep the team running smoothly, all the gears up and running, so that you can keep productivity high, and conflicts low.

• Subscriber

we all have our moments... but at least some people here care what they say.
This is true.......wish the real world could be so kind.

But yeah...........i'm always an idiot......because I like to argue and fight, throw out sarcasm and nastiness.......and I often have to resist saying things at times. Or if i'm in a bad mood, tired, feeling cynical...or judgemental...........or....::fill in the blanks here:: I'll regret and worry bout hurting feelings.......Then I hate when people do that to me......but lately I feel some people can be so nasty and cruel..the real world doesn't always care so much what they say. So, I know just how it feels to be fucked with....especially when people know your weaknesses and personality and they know how to get to you and hurt you. I don't always feel strong sometimes and it will make situations worse and blow them completely out of porportion.

So I asked my co-worker about the blind leading the blind comment and she just laughed and then started telling me what she and her child said last night while Trick or Treating.

Her child got a small rubber ball at a house that looks like and eyeball so her mom told her what it was and then said, "That's great! Now you have a spare!" and her little girl joked back that she could pop it in and have two the same.

So apparently those two take the bumps in life with a good laugh. She told me people just have to live and what I'd said didn't bug her one bit.

Still glad i asked!!!

So I asked my co-worker about the blind leading the blind comment and she just laughed and then started telling me what she and her child said last night while Trick or Treating.

Her child got a small rubber ball at a house that looks like and eyeball so her mom told her what it was and then said, "That's great! Now you have a spare!" and her little girl joked back that she could pop it in and have two the same.

So apparently those two take the bumps in life with a good laugh. She told me people just have to live and what I'd said didn't bug her one bit.

Still glad i asked!!!

so glad you did too..shows a lot of backbone and caring. good job!smile.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

scout6']So I asked my co-worker about the blind leading the blind comment and she just laughed and then started telling me what she and her child said last night while Trick or Treating.

Still glad i asked!!!

so glad you did too..shows a lot of backbone and caring. good job!smile.gif

when i was a very young girl, i had this babysitter, her father in law was blind. he teached me some braille (i had great fun in 'decoding' the phrases he 'brailled' for me) he showed me that people with a disability can have great sense of humor bout it. he told jokes about blind people and had this story how he could go to the supermarket down his street all by himself (and he never used a walking-cane) by counting his steps. and all went fine, till one day there was a leak in the waterpipes and they had broken up the pavement, and he fell into the pit. he always had a good laugh telling this story.

my best friends brother was in a wheel-chair (died when he was 17, had a progressive muscle disease) he was a friend of my love and we both remember stories both him, and how he often dealt with his disease with humor. its a shame most of our friends, teenagers, where afraid to talk to him, cause they didnt know how to react or what to say.  he was just a teenager like the rest of us.... but even then he was very understanding, tho sad, and never blamed them.
i'm glad your colleague reacted this way, and i think its great you had the courage to ask her bout it. world would be a better place if more people would just have the courage and compassion to communicate like this smile.gif