I hear this....truth and unemployment

security_in_anonymity

These excerpts from an article on Huffington Post, represent me and many I know.  Most of us were high income earners with substantive professional lives.  This is our situation now.  And we are educated, smart....smart enough to do something significantly disruptive in response....  Anyone else out there in this demographic?

One out of every 34 Americans who earned wages in 2008 earned absolutely nothing -- not one cent -- in 2009.

The stunning figure was released earlier this month by the Social Security Administration, but apparently went unreported until it appeared today on Tax.com in a column by Pulitzer Prize-winning tax reporter David Cay Johnston.

It's not just every 34th earner whose financial situation has been upended by the financial crisis. Average wages, median wages, and total wages have all declined -- except at the very top, where they leaped dramatically, increasing five-fold.

"60 Minutes" profiled the underemployed and unemployed on Sunday in a piece titled "The 99ers."

Among the most troubling stories are those of a financial analyst who has been unemployed for two years and is now living in a stranger's attic and a former office manager who now collects bottles and cans to get by.  "  <----  I hear this.

Upside of all this...I have some time to waste playing around in U2 world :-)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you, it is the truth you speak. But, it is the doing of a few people in certain sectors of our, such are these people who control the "financial realm", I mean banks. Who would have ever thought that they would betray the USA. There are about 6 standing up, and it feels shaky to me when I enter them. How could these people take the money and run from the government. I tell you, spiritual corruption can destroy this great land, this great country.  As for me, I humbly ask God and the holy mother to be mercyful and assist the President and our chosen representatives to do what is right under his eyes, I mean God's eyes. But, I tell you, this nation is looking at itself in front of a mirror and it is better to see the truth then always seeying a lie. So, I say, together we shall move foward and conquer. We shall survive, only if we put God first, we serve God first. Bring back prayers to school for the youth. It is a crime to raise them without teaching them of God who just happens to be invisible and can be visible to some. I know what you mean, right now, some of us, me for example and losing everything I worked for, I am in need of a loan at 2.75% fixed for 30 years to save the material possessions we worked to get, (when there are children, one needs to keep what one buys to provide for them), 3 months behind on payments it is evil,  but now, I am alone and it is difficult facing unexpected events. Banks betrayed the people and the country, I am totally upset with them. I am trying to acquire what I need, I don't want to fall, because Lately, I was given the X that I needed to be able to work thru prayer, but I need what I need now, urgently. My sister is passed, I have no one to fall to, its evil. But, I shall accept whatever is the desire of God, after all, he gives and he takest, his will shall be done and not mine, and I so accept his will humbly.

I see them as being evil and corrupted. As for votes, I shall vote for no one who is extremist, I shall vote for people who are not violent, do not support the death penalty, I shall vote for people who give God a place in our White House. And that President must be an enlightened one like Bono, (but he is for IRELAND ONLY) with clean energies for us all, one whom we can trust and follow. I tell you, Bono is in the likeness of JESUS CHRIST, whence he was with us, was walking and was touched by a certain woman, in this time and age, thats me, Realm, Bono's daisy, and JESUS felt the energy leave him, that my beloved zootopian friends, is How my Prince Bono works, thru energy, and that energy is all over us all, we can connect, and I love it, I love to feel my Prince, think of him, and feel him ever so close.

Thats Bono, the ONE who is a light to many, who stands out, who is a reminder of Christ when he was touched by that special woman on his garment. Today, that is in the likeness of me, Realm, who found her Prince, but because he is bound and physically in a strange circle of different people, and with "fame", all these worldly things have stolen my Prince, but I shall let him know, his daisy Realm is here and is looking for him still. I miss my humble Prince. I hope and pray he escapes soon to come and see me just like the impostor did. I shall recognize him by his pitch and his dimple, and his eyes and his physically plump body. A Prince with no bones is the best Prince to have.

Realmawake

I had an interesting experience this past year, and I am not sure what to conclude from it.  But it sticks with me--never too far out of mind, and I have not really gotten around to telling it to many people.  I will now.

I was fortunate this year, because I had the opportunity to work temporarily on the US census.  For those who do not know, the U.S. conducts a census every ten years.  Hundreds of thousands of people fan out across the entire country, and whether they have to travel by foot, car, mule or boat, they go to every single home in America and count the people who live there.  This becomes historical data, and we have been conducting the census every decade since 1790.

I needed the work.  But I had actually decided a few years before that, if I were free to, I would work on the census the next time it came around.  I was inspired to do this in 2003, after I listened to a group of Iraqi minorities who had come to Washington DC to lobby the U.S. government to conduct a census in Iraq.  They argued that, following the war, a new government and a new democracy could not be legitimately stood up until an accurate count of the population and its demographics was conducted.  I was extremely moved, and wanted to participate in this central element of a democratic society (jury duty is still something I have not had a chance to do, and want to).

So, this year, I applied and was accepted as one of those hundreds of thousands who went around knocking on doors and counting people for the census.  I live in the North East of the US, but I went to South West Florida to do this.  Let me tell you quickly about the types of neighborhoods I was working in (am I boring people?).

Southwest Florida is mostly  middle income, single family homes.  Suburbs, basically.  40% of the homes in the region have been foreclosed on and abandoned.  I would say that 15% of those had people squatting in them (for the non-native English speakers, "squatting" means living illegally in a home that is not yours).  But this was not what struck me.  Something else did....

Everyone travels by car in that area; it is not a walking place-- no sidewalks, too hot, etc.  But I was walking to do this job, and because I was walking, I saw things that one would certainly miss if zooming by in a car.  There are a lot of undeveloped lots--empty spaces of woods, basically.  And from a car, one would only see trees and  brush.  But, on foot, moving slowly and peering between the grasses, I could see that there were people camping in tents all over the area!  And since I am a curious cat, naturally I tromped into some of these to find out who was there.

Some were toothless vagrants--the chronically homeless, which Florida has always had many of.  But many--very many--whom I met, were former professionals--engineers, business owners, teachers--many from the north who had lost their jobs and homes and had moved south to live in tents where it is warmer.  

We were told not to count these people in the census.  I questioned this, and was assured that they were being counted in other studies by the census bureau.  Probably that is true.   But, now I have to suspect that millions and millions of people who had homes a couple of years before, were not counted in the primary census this decade.  And they will not show up in the historical data records.  I am not sure what to think about this.

Meanwhile, my friends who live in a very lovely, small Western European country (where I would LOVE to move to!) were telling me that they were regularly seeing reports on their nightly news about the "tent cities" that were springing up all over the U.S.  

I don't really have anything I want to conclude from this, or any particular point I wish to make.  But, I did want to tell the story.  I am sure it is significant.  I too spent some time in a tent this past year.

I had an interesting experience this past year, and I am not sure what to conclude from it.  But it sticks with me--never too far out of mind, and I have not really gotten around to telling it to many people.  I will now.

I was fortunate this year, because I had the opportunity to work temporarily on the US census.  For those who do not know, the U.S. conducts a census every ten years.  Hundreds of thousands of people fan out across the entire country, and whether they have to travel by foot, car, mule or boat, they go to every single home in America and count the people who live there.  This becomes historical data, and we have been conducting the census every decade since 1790.

I needed the work.  But I had actually decided a few years before that, if I were free to, I would work on the census the next time it came around.  I was inspired to do this in 2003, after I listened to a group of Iraqi minorities who had come to Washington DC to lobby the U.S. government to conduct a census in Iraq.  They argued that, following the war, a new government and a new democracy could not be legitimately stood up until an accurate count of the population and its demographics was conducted.  I was extremely moved, and wanted to participate in this central element of a democratic society (jury duty is still something I have not had a chance to do, and want to).

So, this year, I applied and was accepted as one of those hundreds of thousands who went around knocking on doors and counting people for the census.  I live in the North East of the US, but I went to South West Florida to do this.  Let me tell you quickly about the types of neighborhoods I was working in (am I boring people?).

Southwest Florida is mostly  middle income, single family homes.  Suburbs, basically.  40% of the homes in the region have been foreclosed on and abandoned.  I would say that 15% of those had people squatting in them (for the non-native English speakers, "squatting" means living illegally in a home that is not yours).  But this was not what struck me.  Something else did....

Everyone travels by car in that area; it is not a walking place-- no sidewalks, too hot, etc.  But I was walking to do this job, and because I was walking, I saw things that one would certainly miss if zooming by in a car.  There are a lot of undeveloped lots--empty spaces of woods, basically.  And from a car, one would only see trees and  brush.  But, on foot, moving slowly and peering between the grasses, I could see that there were people camping in tents all over the area!  And since I am a curious cat, naturally I tromped into some of these to find out who was there.

Some were toothless vagrants--the chronically homeless, which Florida has always had many of.  But many--very many--whom I met, were former professionals--engineers, business owners, teachers--many from the north who had lost their jobs and homes and had moved south to live in tents where it is warmer.  

We were told not to count these people in the census.  I questioned this, and was assured that they were being counted in other studies by the census bureau.  Probably that is true.   But, now I have to suspect that millions and millions of people who had homes a couple of years before, were not counted in the primary census this decade.  And they will not show up in the historical data records.  I am not sure what to think about this.

Meanwhile, my friends who live in a very lovely, small Western European country (where I would LOVE to move to!) were telling me that they were regularly seeing reports on their nightly news about the "tent cities" that were springing up all over the U.S.  

I don't really have anything I want to conclude from this, or any particular point I wish to make.  But, I did want to tell the story.  I am sure it is significant.  I too spent some time in a tent this past year.

• Subscriber

In the U.S. , there isn't a working class anymore. I call it the "Big Box Store Class". It is very hard to live on a $8/hr salary, without health insurance. This has been happening for years. Years without a decent salary can drop someone to their knees when an emergency occurs. The economy was devastated due to this impending domino effect. I too am without a home of my own, having to live with parents until I can gey back on my feet. I was in a homeless shelter, until I begged them to take me in. As a 36 year-old, this is very humiliating. Security_And_Anonymity, you are in my prayers.

I can relate because I also living the "american nightmare" as a result of the rotten economy.  I have a trade school certificate, degree, experience and I'm still turned down for jobs.
As a result of being turned down for many positions, I moved back with my folks, work a job which doesn't pay much and do volunteer work to obtain better job skills.