U2/Glasonbury Warning

Janette B

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

agt wrote:

Zhivvy']And where will you be that weekend????? in Somerset too I think!
tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Oh yeah! Forgot about that, mind like a goldfish these days LMAO
LOL!!!happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif I'll send you a message a couple of days before to remind you to pop down there!!!

Hopefully once I sort my travel out, I'll start getting it together. Will start sorting tomorrow.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

peterferris8']This is coming from a tabloid. Should we take what the tabloids say seriously?

This is a standard practice. Even though U2 is the biggest rock band in the world, they still have to follow some rules. Other examples are playing in local union run venues (I think Madison Square Garden is still union run). For example, in those cases, the union audio engineer is the one to control the console, while the band's audio engineers sits besides them for cues and guidance. Also no one on the band's crew is allowed to push/load, unload any cases....the local union has to do it. The road crew simply directs them. As for festivals, same thing. It's the promoter/sponsor. With network/radio shows, it's all about timing. Working with ads, promo spots, etc. It's mainly the $$$ that's priority. Live Aid and Live 8 are also great examples of this.

also this time last year, bono and edge were talking about a greastest hits setlist at glasto 2010 before bono done his back in, its not going to change for this year.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

peterferris8']This is coming from a tabloid. Should we take what the tabloids say seriously?

This is a standard practice. Even though U2 is the biggest rock band in the world, they still have to follow some rules. Other examples are playing in local union run venues (I think Madison Square Garden is still union run). For example, in those cases, the union audio engineer is the one to control the console, while the band's audio engineers sits besides them for cues and guidance. Also no one on the band's crew is allowed to push/load, unload any cases....the local union has to do it. The road crew simply directs them. As for festivals, same thing. It's the promoter/sponsor. With network/radio shows, it's all about timing. Working with ads, promo spots, etc. It's mainly the $$$ that's priority. Live Aid and Live 8 are also great examples of this.

True enough, but Glastonbury is an entity unto itself.  The gig is in the Uk so your tales of the NY sound mafia don't apply, and nor is it a radio event. Michael Eavis has wanted U2 for 30 years, can't imagine he's anything but chuffed to have our lads there.

Can you imagine Michael Eavis shaking his fist at Bono and saying " grrrrr no LEDS for you bastards.  A couple of Par 64s and some P10s is all yer getting!"

Even the use of "warning" in the headline is laughable.  What's Eavis going to hand out fines if he sees any sign of the steering wheel mic?  Blow his whistle and red card the Edge?

I can't imagine there was any point in time where U2 had any intention of taking the claw.  It's a given that they'll play on the Pyramid.

It's also a given that they'll have the standard giant LED behind the stage.

As for Eavis demanding a greatest hits set with a couple of new tunes - shit, they've been doing that for 20 years now!

This article was simply made up, slow news day style.

• Subscriber
Coldplay are not going to do a greatest hits show. U2 need to be way more adventurous to captivate a Glasto crowd. Seriously. They need to step it up big time and NOT play the greatest hits. Coldplay will not show mercy. And neitrher will a lot of the non-headliners. And if James, Editors, Keane, White Lies show up even more of a raising of the bar will occur. Just saying.
Yeah because teenage girls, pissed fatties and shirtless geezers with about 5 eccies in 'em are totally want to hear a band they're not that into play a bunch of songs they've never heard.

Just sayin'

[quote name='mick james wrote:

bflorendo wrote:

True enough, but Glastonbury is an entity unto itself.  The gig is in the Uk so your tales of the NY sound mafia don't apply, and nor is it a radio event. Michael Eavis has wanted U2 for 30 years, can't imagine he's anything but chuffed to have our lads there.

Can you imagine Michael Eavis shaking his fist at Bono and saying " grrrrr no LEDS for you bastards.  A couple of Par 64s and some P10s is all yer getting!"

Even the use of "warning" in the headline is laughable.  What's Eavis going to hand out fines if he sees any sign of the steering wheel mic?  Blow his whistle and red card the Edge?

I can't imagine there was any point in time where U2 had any intention of taking the claw.  It's a given that they'll play on the Pyramid.

It's also a given that they'll have the standard giant LED behind the stage.

As for Eavis demanding a greatest hits set with a couple of new tunes - shit, they've been doing that for 20 years now!

This article was simply made up, slow news day style.

Yeah, that word "warning"....really? Now that LED backdrop....will it be standard or 3D? Seeing Muse's LED work last year was great (Streets cover feat. The Edge), with their Hexs. If Muse was able to have their Hex-shaped LED screens, U2 could probably get away with having parts of their conical screen there. It's broken up into sections (takes 2 people per section), possible enough to where they can make a flat screen out of it. It can still expand and contract. Heck, they should just get some PVC piping and form it into "U2"! Whatever they do, Willie Williams probably has something up his sleeves.

Being that Eavis has wanted U2 to play there for 30 years, maybe he might let them play a little longer. We should find out what Eavis' favorite U2 song is...if it's not one of the standards, it could appear on the setlist.

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Sigma957']Coldplay are not going to do a greatest hits show. U2 need to be way more adventurous to captivate a Glasto crowd. Seriously. They need to step it up big time and NOT play the greatest hits. Coldplay will not show mercy. And neitrher will a lot of the non-headliners. And if James, Editors, Keane, White Lies show up even more of a raising of the bar will occur. Just saying.

Yeah because teenage girls, pissed fatties and shirtless geezers with about 5 eccies in 'em are totally want to hear a band they're not that into play a bunch of songs they've never heard.

Just sayin'

and maybe because coldplay dont have any greatest hits...roll.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='peterferris8 wrote:

Janette B']Oh, had no idea it was a tabloid.

I'm not talking about @U2, I'm talking about the Mirror, which is where they got the article from. Just so there's no confusion.No, that's okay and I understood that you had meant the Mirror. I love @U2 - it's is a fantastic site and while I've heard of the Mirror, I had no idea it was a tabloid. I should have known it though as I've been to the U.K. many, many, many times, but I did think the tone of the article was "snarky" - I guess that's a clue roll.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='agt wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

agt']

Oh yeah! Forgot about that, mind like a goldfish these days LMAO

LOL!!!
happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif
I'll send you a message a couple of days before to remind you to pop down there!!!

Hopefully once I sort my travel out, I'll start getting it together. Will start sorting tomorrow.I still can't get my head around that I am going - only been saying that i want to go for about 20 years!