Goodbye, U2

newsman

• Subscriber

After 24 straight years of being a U2 fan club member, I've decided to let my U2.com membership and all of its meaningless seniority, invisible perks and ludicrous exclusives lapse into the ether. Yesterday, it expired. It was far easier than I expected. I miss nothing because it no longer provided anything.

In fact, as much as it pains me to say, I've all but given up on believing in this band. They haven't made anything vital or true since "Pop" in '97. U2 will always be the band that made me believe that music is a sacrament of life. They were my Beatles. I still remember getting "Unforgettable Fire" for Christmas in 1984 and quickly buying everything else by the band with the little money I had.

But I have fallen out of love with the boys. They are the corporate pawns that they posed against for years. Even worse, they bore me to death. The concerts are predictable. The music is pedestrian and overproduced. Bono's voice is shot. Edge keeps dressing like he's 14. With so many other raw and talented bands making music out there right now -- Mumford & Sons, The National, Arcade Fire, Radiohead -- I just don't feel the U2 love like I once did.

It's been great, but I must move on.

Peace.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Who's to say where the wind will take you

Who's to say what it is will break you

I don't know where the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around

I don't wanna see you cry

I know that this is not goodbye

• Subscriber

Who's to say where the wind will take you

Who's to say what it is will break you

I don't know where the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around

I don't wanna see you cry

I know that this is not goodbye

well said!

• Subscriber

Sorry you feel this way. It really does sound like you're leaving an ex-lover. Knit-picking,, fault in everything. being negative. But as I read your post all I can see is you feel that this site, the music, edge's dressing selection doesn't suit you anymore. You should just walk away. You clearly aren't happy. Good luck... like they say..you'll probably be back again.