Toughest job you ever had

illumination70

I'm curious to know what was the toughest job you ever had in order to pay those bills/rent?  As for me,  a few years back I was with a temp service where the temps had to be at the office at 5:30am.    The jobs I got included pulling weeds, cleaning houses or janitorial work for minimum wage.

As a result of doing work such as this I learned something, never make fun of someone working for minimum wage because the majority of the time they are the hardest working people.

Enough about me, what was the toughest work gig you ever had?

• Subscriber

Shelling Prawns and making Frozen Pizza's in factories when I left school.

Shelling Prawns was horse work, cold stinky and really hard, lasted 1 day and never returned.

Making Pizza's was cold disgusting and enough to put you off Frozen food for life.

In later years I could really appreciate a good job even though I spent just a little time at these jobs.

• Subscriber

I might have been lucky 'cause I know people have very terrible job experiences. Mine is not that bad.... but it felt terrible that time. I was about 20 when I worked three days as a telemarketer. I called people and tried to sell them lousy magazines.... no one wanted to buy anything from me and some people just hung up the phone. I didn't get paid at all 'cause I didn't sell anything. I was there three days and quit. When I went to the manager and said I'm not coming here anymore he didn't even look at me and said "what a loser you are". Couple of days afterwards I had a job from a grocery store and it felt like a paradise!

I might have been lucky 'cause I know people have very terrible job experiences. Mine is not that bad.... but it felt terrible that time. I was about 20 when I worked three days as a telemarketer. I called people and tried to sell them lousy magazines.... no one wanted to buy anything from me and some people just hung up the phone.
 Ugh you have my condolences because I also did telemarketing (selling home security systems) and had the same responses from potential customers!!  I stuck it out for two weeks and left when I was accepted into a tech school in Western, Washington.

• Subscriber

Plucking turkeys - needed extra cash to go travelling, lasted half a day, it was disgusting. Still determined to make some extra money, the next day I arrived at a meat factory in Burton on Trent, they made meat pies and sausages, never went back after lunch break.

Became a veggie!!!!!!!!!

All of my jobs have been tough, but I love/loved them all:

Environmental Security Analyst-- providing future forecasting of international environmental security threats and developing recommendations to off-set them.

Foreign Media Analyst-- identifying and countering international media threats by terrorists and other hostile groups.

16mm Independent filmmaker--EVERYTHING about this is hard, but only because the craft is SO expensive and it is hard to do much easily without funds. (I am a fan of Spiderman, but how could they not pull off a show for 70 million???)

Owner of a small services consulting firm--hard only because one has to spend so much time looking for clients rather than just working productively! I decided this was not an efficient use of my time or energy.

I have had lots of minimum-wage temp jobs on and off at different points in my life, but the only thing hard about these is doing mindless work for no money. Blech. I really can't stand that.

• Subscriber

lets see: from age 15 till 18 i was working 1 month during summerbreak in the factory where my mom worked as a secretary. they made things like hairspray, shoeshine, tampax,.. it was hard work cause we had to follow the production line while packing the aerosols in boxes and put the boxes on pallets. 

after i graduated i worked as a fruit-picker, before finding a 'real job'. we had to work outside between apple-trees even when it was cold and windy. i did quit in the 3rd week cause the apples we had to pick on that day were covered by earwigs, and i was terrified by them! my love kept the job up for a couple more weeks till all the pears were picked too.
i worked for 4 months at this geriatric mental retirement-home. that was tough cause there were lot of issues between staff. 
my current job is hard too, cause i work at the oncology-lungdisease unit where we have lots of terminal patients. we had some rather young patients who died in our care, and seeing their kids, partners, parents grief always gets to me. 
its heavy on my back and body too, i'm not that tall or strong myself. (physically and mentally tough).

• Subscriber

Mine was telesales too, for a double glazing company. I suffered it as a second job for about 6 months just so I could buy my own car. Gave up when I had enough to pay a deposit for the car and when I couldn't stand being told to eff off several times a night any longer. Such a crap job but it has taught me to be kinder to telesales people now, they're obviously desperate for money!!