Been thinking about Paul McGinness

wahine

He totally has a point, bigtime, but I honestly thought that there were organizations that handled these things like ASCAP, etc. I have found the ASP, The Association of Surfing Professionals have it all down to an art. Live broadcasts are amazing, and we get them from all over the world from remote locations that people don't even go, some are from boats! The feeds are clear, crisp, not a problem at all full streaming with judges scores coinciding. They run commercials in between heats. Everybody makes money. Ususally telecom companies support the live web. WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT ADVERTISING? It can be done in subtle ways as well. Paul McGinness needs to think outside the box instead of the box he made and put together himself. There's a better way to build a box these days. I know everyone hates commercials at the beginning of videos, etc. but during concerts quick adverts work, as does side adverts, and just think about it, people could point and click and buy the thing if they really really liked it, but you already made the money so yeah all the companies are making big bucks off it, but lots of these bands would not even be seen if it wasnt for the internet. I still have faith in good albums and great shows. So here ya go Paul, here's some duct tape, you just need to tighten up your box and come on slowly, slowly you can do it, get over here to 2011, it's waiting for you.PS-follow up with the corporations that were in place to protect copyrighted material as well. Quit yelling and hire a lawyer and do something about it. You got the money. And like I said build a better box. Not being a bitch, just being real. If you are gonna complain about it, that's one thing, finding a solution is another. Maybe you spend your energy working on the solution...oh wait, was that intellectual property I just gave away for free to a man that has made a fortune off music and doesnt even play. *wahine runs away giggling intellectual property*

• Subscriber

You really seemed to have missed the fact that U2 did a free worldwide broadcast on Youtube last year, and have had Blackberry sponsoring the tour complete with giant Blackberry adverts in the stadiums.

How you equate some geezer with a webcam, broadcasting some surfing from Micronesia with Paul McGuinesses and his lack of understanding about what intelectual property rights means, is beyond me.

I swear I did not intentionally try to be mean, I just think if he is going to get this upset over it all, he needs to look at it from another angle and figure out a way to help up and coming bands, that like I said would never be heard outside their hometowns unless like in the old days a promoter or producer or a talent scout was around and then that middle man always has his fingers in the pot. Whatever, I remember the old days and I believe if you are good enough, then it will all work out...I wouldnt have ever known about that band The Plea if it wasnt posted on here and directed to a facebook page. So, there you go, it does work. And if they ever came this way to play I would go see them, the same way I use to listen to U2 on the college station and went to see the War show. You gotta be one step ahead instead of one step behind these days.

Those geezers happen to be the pro surfers that have figured out industry wise how to continue making money. Paul McGinness continously bitches, he is all over the media, don't screw with me. I will say whatever the hell I want, He goes all red faced and freaking out about it all. The only old geezer is HIM!

• Subscriber
Those geezers happen to be the pro surfers that have figured out industry wise how to continue making money. Paul McGinness continously bitches, he is all over the media, don't screw with me. I will say whatever the hell I want, He goes all red faced and freaking out about it all. The only old geezer is HIM!

Geezer =  person, bloke, dude, man, guy or whatever your local version is.

But what is your point? That U2 should do a webcast and bring in some advertisers?

They did, and they have.

He reminds us daily of how much of an old Geezer he is by his words and actions. See ya around, NOT! I do remember U2's live concert in LA, these days you all huddle around someones iphone and cheer. Mr. McGinness is stuck in the last century. Yeah, I will talk intellectual property. If bands want to do something with their lives then it is up to them to do it. What is he not getting the cut he wants? Cuz that's how it's coming off in all his interviews. 

In reference to it all its just like websites. They need to get their own channel and do their own advertising, ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE and technology has evolved. Everybody has their own tv stations on youtube and their websites. U2 has nothing.

• Subscriber

In reference to it all its just like websites. They need to get their own channel and do their own advertising, ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE and technology has evolved. Everybody has their own tv stations on youtube and their websites. U2 has nothing.

U2 has nothing?

They have the most technologically advanced and succesful tour of all time.

They did the first ever live concert broadcast on Youtube last year.

And not sure about anyone else, but I was certainly not huddled around anyones Iphone the last time I saw U2.

As for their role in modern advertising, besides the U2360 Blackberry sponsorship, you may recall the very famous and publicized U2 Ipod ad?