MacFoley's U2 song of the day shuffle thread

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Twilight

4 out of 5

I haven't listened to this one in a long time. I probably first heard this when I was about 15. I started listening to U2 with The Joshua Tree and went out and bought all the previous albums. It was interesting listening to Twilight again. I get this image of a young Bono lost and running through a dark forest when I hear it. I would love to hear what this one sounds like live.

Check out the Red Rocks show, the DVD includes a great version of Twilight live! 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Moment of surrender -Live Paris -Wide awake in Europe.

4/5

Struggled for ages getting in to this song and finally did when hearing it live... although it kind of reminds me that the show is ending!.

I like this one because i was at the Paris show but i still dont think they should end on this song... im thinking at glastonbury they might finish on a more lively number or '40'.

• Subscriber

All I Want is You ---Milan, Vertigo Tour

5/5

It's the only version of this song that I have in iTunes since I can't stand the album version! There's a reason I chose this date, though. It's magical, energetic and the crowd is just amazing. All I Want is You has always been among my live favorites, so I think it's great that it has become a staple for the NA shows. Hopefully one performance will be as great as this one and make me rethink my choice of All I Want is You!

• Subscriber

A Boy Falls from the Sky

Live: Coimbra, Portugal

I have to be honest, I haven't really listened to this track before, therefore feel unable to rate it.

The recording is from one of those in the ear thingy's, and there's quite a bit of interference.

However from what I did hear, I found it dragged on a bit. I had been up all night listening to the live feed and had drunk a bottle of wine so my tolerence was pretty low.

So I'll leave it at that and give it another listen maybe from a different recording..

I need sleep!!!!!!!!

• Subscriber

Ok, my turn...

MAGNIFICENT album version from No line on the horizon.

4.5/5

This one I've heard live in Gothenburg x 2 and in Helsinki. I think it's a beautiful song and has a good place in the setlist. It's calm but strong I think. I remember that I wrote a sign for one of the shows in Gothenburg, "You were made to sing for us" . So I surely like the words in this song.

• Subscriber

Good idea this mac it'll make me visit the dark side lolwink.gif

Ok first one up is With or without you from the Dublin #1 360 boot

5 outta 5 cos It was me first ever gig in Dublin.I must admit it is getting a bit of a millstone live but I think it's become that much of a regular in a U2 live set they don't wanna drop it.

• Subscriber

DESIRE (HOLLYWOOD REMIX)

to me this is the berth of acthung baby. the samples, the groove and the feel. i am a fan of remix's, and i like this version because it brings more to it than the original. i love the famale backing vocals, and the extended larry mullen pummle parts in the song.

i first heard this song when i bought the 12 inch single of desire, and i was impressed with the sounds of this remix. i love the added piano too which gives it another dimension.

and from 2 minutes 30 on, i love the extended parts, with bono singing some oooooh's......

so this gets another 5/5 from the mac!

• Subscriber

Magnificent from an IEM recording from La Plata 4/5

Magnificent, Breathe and White as Snow were my favourites from NLOTH from the first listen and still are. This isn't the best version of Magnificent but I love the IEMs, the counting etc makes the whole thing much more personal. I was surprised that even the wondrous Edge had to/was counted in, naive on my part I guess!! (Can anyone explain why Edge is called Edge by the person counting them in and yet Adam is just referred to as bass?!!)

• Subscriber

Kite: from ATYCLB

5 out of 5

This song got quite a lot of press at the time of the album's release as it was about Bono's father, who died during the tour. I remember my husband comming into the room when I was listening to Kite and he commented on the lyrics, he thought they were very powerful. ( he doesn't usually have any time for U2)

One of my favouite songs. Very emotive lyrics which Bono sings really well.

I really like Edge's guitar playing too, especially the slide guitar.

My favourite version is the one on Windows in the Sky, live from Sidney with the addition of the didgeridoo ( not sure of spelling )

This will be played at my funeral!!!!