Talking about the song

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Godfather of Rap (Parts 1-6)

Me and the Devil

And now you are free of his clutches...

Gil Scott-Heron rest in peace and freedom

GSH

RIP

By the way, if you can listen to "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" and "get" all the political and pop-cultural references (especially the commercials!), then you're getting a bit long in the tooth (like me).  I wonder how many teenagers today could listen straight through that song and not have to pull out their smartphone to Google the lyrics?

--

• Subscriber

<<I wonder how many teenagers today could listen straight through that song and not have to pull out their smartphone to Google the lyrics? >>

Understanding isn't all that important to many people <g> Give them a tune and they'll sing along. Isn't that part of the point of Led Zeppelin's references to the pied piper of hamelin - he doesn't lead them to reason, he steals the kids away with his tune (which happens to be titled "over the hills and far away")? Or maybe I've got that one wrong.

Seriously, it's kind of rare to see people posting with a basic grip on the references in a current album, but hopefully they realize at some point that some of these artists have a degree of depth and the picture is much richer when they engage and try to understand where they were coming from and how they were trying to express it.

Oh, and a common point between The Revolution Will Not Be Televised and a few U2 tunes is, of course, Natalie Wood ;) Understanding that requires a bit more than googling methinks <g>