What Direction You'd Like To See U2 Go in?

HanLennopn

I think we all can agree that whatever route U2 takes, we'll be along for the ride as fans.

That being said, part of being a fan is contemplating the future. 

My friend and I had a voracious debate recently on what we'd like to see next from the band. Personally, I'd love to see them take a step back from the massive tours and do something more intimate.

I LOVE the giant shows, and would be content if they continued like this for another few decades. BUT- I like the way Springsteen alternated from these arenas to quiet gigs in the past. More recently, Eddie Vedder has been doing solo shows to compliment the big gigs with Pearl Jam.

IMO- U2 in a smaller setting would remind people of how great musically they are, as well as the obvious performing ability everyone knows they have.

Quite frankly, I think it's time (no tomatoes please) they step aside from their mantle of biggest rock band in the world. I think it's time they pass the torch.

This is not to mean I think someone is better. I don't. I think U2 is right up there with the greatest of all-time. I really do.

But the title of biggest band in the world needs a certain current element to it, and I think U2 should step back and enjoy whatever aspirations they have collectively or individually for a few years. They've earned the right to experiment in any way they choose.

And honestly, being the biggest band in the world means getting kicked around a bit... I don't know about all of you, but sometimes I think people pick on U2 simply because of their popularity. Taking a step back might remind everyone how great they are.

They should pass the torch.

Anyway, what would you like to see them do?

Big tours? Small ones? Change musically? Don't? 

Just curious...

But really, just curious what other fans want to see out of this next phase in U2's career...

• Subscriber
I think we all can agree that whatever route U2 takes, we'll be along for the ride as fans.

That being said, part of being a fan is contemplating the future. 

My friend and I had a voracious debate recently on what we'd like to see next from the band. Personally, I'd love to see them take a step back from the massive tours and do something more intimate.

I LOVE the giant shows, and would be content if they continued like this for another few decades. BUT- I like the way Springsteen alternated from these arenas to quiet gigs in the past. More recently, Eddie Vedder has been doing solo shows to compliment the big gigs with Pearl Jam.

IMO- U2 in a smaller setting would remind people of how great musically they are, as well as the obvious performing ability everyone knows they have.

Quite frankly, I think it's time (no tomatoes please) they step aside from their mantle of biggest rock band in the world. I think it's time they pass the torch.

This is not to mean I think someone is better. I don't. I think U2 is right up there with the greatest of all-time. I really do.

But the title of biggest band in the world needs a certain current element to it, and I think U2 should step back and enjoy whatever aspirations they have collectively or individually for a few years. They've earned the right to experiment in any way they choose.

And honestly, being the biggest band in the world means getting kicked around a bit... I don't know about all of you, but sometimes I think people pick on U2 simply because of their popularity. Taking a step back might remind everyone how great they are.

They should pass the torch.

Anyway, what would you like to see them do?

Big tours? Small ones? Change musically? Don't? 

Just curious...

But really, just curious what other fans want to see out of this next phase in U2's career...

U2 should pass the torch?

They're still by far the biggest, most successful and popular band in the world, and are still creatively making music together.

The torch will pass itself at the point these things are no longer true.

• Subscriber

I would love to see them in smaller settings. It would be extremely hard to top what they've just done as far as stadiums. Unless they can somehow manage to levitate themselves to the far corners of the stadium. I am imagining Bono rolling up next to someone at the urinal as he sings 'In a Little While", wondring why he chose that song to take a piss......

A mixture of arenas and dare I say...clubs....would be very nice. As far as their music...I think NLOTH proved that they are far from done creatively. They are capable of going in many different directions, and I would welcome any of those. The fact that they still have the drive to create great, meaningful music is huge.

Hopefully Bono and the Edge don't get too caught up in the bright lights of Broadway.....

Album: let The Edge go out of control! A Boy driving a Trabant!

Live: arenas, and back to basics (kinda like Glastonbury)...so they're not glued to a specific setlist.

The torch will be passed when Time Magazine has a new band on its cover and the headline, "Rock's Hottest Ticket".

• Subscriber

It would be extremely hard to top what they've just done as far as stadiums. 
How many times have we all said that in the last twenty years?

I'm guessing the next tour will be on the Moon.

Now that the Space Shuttle program is over, the boys can do swapsies with NASA.

3 slightly used claws for one used space shuttle.

They can ferry us all up there from Florida.

It'll be sweet!!