Bono's voice nowadays

U2RSA

I've read and heard some comments from people where they say Bono's voice has gone.

I don't believe this to be true.

I was at 360 Johannesburg, South Africa in February and although the sound quality was very bad, setup by the organisers, Bono's voice is still as good as ever.

When he sang Miss Sarajevo, not only was his voice superb, and he held it superb during the song, but the crowd went wild when he stretched his lungs.....

And this is just one song.....

Just my thoughts, anyhow....

• Subscriber

I agree with you. If anything, Bono sounds better than ever.

There are some singers who actually get better with age, and Bono is a perfect example. He sounded *fantastic* in Minneapolis!

• Subscriber

I think he sounds awesome, but doing With or Without You at the end of the setlist was too much for him in Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I didn't want that to happen since both performances were unforgettable. In Pittsburgh, the treat of Bad outweighed any concern for WoWY. I think it's got to be tough to do the louder, projecting vocals and then bring it in low and soulful for the slower songs. Whose voice could handle such a workout? Not many I'd say. I'd think The Stones are the only ones who have a similar stage presence/performances and can Mick bring it any better?

• Subscriber

I LOVE Bono.

I once said, He could sing the national anthem and make it sound like a love song.

But I don't think he has the voice he once did... he's gotten older, smoking has been unkind to him - don't know if he still smokes those little brown cigarettes any longer or not - and his sustain is not as powerful as it once was - despite his excellence during the "Miss Sarajevo" performances. He's not 25 any longer... years of touring has taken it's toll.

But like I said, and will ALWAYS maintain,

I LOVE Bono.

He could sing the national anthem and make it sound like a love song.

• Subscriber

I LOVE Bono.

I once said, He could sing the national anthem and make it sound like a love song.

But I don't think he has the voice he once did... he's gotten older, smoking has been unkind to him - don't know if he still smokes those little brown cigarettes any longer or not - and his sustain is not as powerful as it once was - despite his excellence during the "Miss Sarajevo" performances. He's not 25 any longer... years of touring has taken it's toll.

But like I said, and will ALWAYS maintain,

I LOVE Bono.

He could sing the national anthem and make it sound like a love song.  AMEN to that!!

Dear God,

Please rest and sustain Bono's vocals and let him SING for YOU, for us, until he is with you! Thanks for listening.

"Can you hear me when I sing? You're the reason why I sing. You're the reason why the opera is in me."

• Subscriber

I think he sounds amazing these days. Probably even better on the 360 tour than on Vertigo. (Then again, anytime I hear him sing I am happy). His voice had gotten a tiny bit road beaten by the end, but that added to the texture of the live performance. And, although he may not have the same vocal range he did at 30 or the power to really wail it out as he did back in the day, he can still hit some pretty high notes and I find he's doing other beautiful and interesting things in the lower range nowadays. He sounds pretty awesome to me.

• Subscriber

Yep his voice has gone, he simply can't sing songs like With Or Without You, One & New Years Day like he used to. Glastonbury showed this, also the 360 dvd shows this too. He could always switch to guitar & let The Edge sing instead...

• Subscriber

Yep his voice is not at it's peak. But it's still powerful enough. I thought his voice at glasto was pretty good. He sang bad really good, one I thought he sang that beautifully.

I still think he has one of the best voices in the business.