Bono: Don't Give Up

muddy grey wolf

Seems like everywhere I look I'm seeing Bono telling anyone who will listen that The Joshua Tree tour and anything to do with Rattle and Hum was a disaster and a total let down for U2 and their fans.

I first noticed this in that pretty awful Docu-film "From The Sky Down" aired on the BBC some weeks back

Without going into detail it seems Bono has began to not only listen to but to believe the shit and pish spouted by the people who hate U2 even though I suspect many of them have never actually heard a U2 album in their short lives.

Rattle and Hum actually sold 14 Million copies and was in truth a very good album back in the day and like nothing else around at the time. The problems began when that dreadful film version was released and we all sat watching it with our mouths open in utter shock at what we saw up on the big screen...badly made, badly lit, poor choice of live performances, clumsy direction etc etc etc

When people think of Rattle and Hum they think of the movie and not the album sadly

The Joshua Tree has sold over 25 Million copies and thrilled Millions of fans at the live concerts: Classic Album and Record breaking tour that any band would be proud of instead of seeing it as a low point in their lives.

There is something very, very wrong when the greatest, most popular live rock band that have ever walked the earth begin to believe all the hateful, jealous, bitter words they see from bands and singers who claim to hate U2 but do everything they can to sound exactly just like them....

No Line On The Horizon crashed and burned because of many reasons

Poor choice of first single

An album cover that never even had U2 on the front, not even the word U2

Most of the singles were not even made available on CD format depending on where you happen to be in the world

Some of the best tracks on the album were not issued as singles

Using the same old producers and hoping to get "a new sound"... Impossible

Letting those producers remove that much loved U2 sound and replace it with their own sound

Being surrounded by people who say "yeah it's great, best thing you done in years"

Not letting the same guys who make U2 sound so good live on stage produce at least one album without letting "folky" Danny and "Elevator Music" Brian mess things up with their "yeah it's good and rocking but try this Bono" advice.

By not listening to your fans who love your music and turned out in our millions to see and hear you Live on stage making you the most popular Live rock band of ALL TIME

For almost giving up

For having doubts in the gifts God gave you

For doubting yourself and your band-mates

For doubting us

• Subscriber

Three o'clock in the morning

It's quiet, there's no one around,

Just the bang and the clatter

As an angel runs to ground.

Just the bang and the clatter

As an angel hits the ground.

Stay, faraway so close - 'cause it is us standing up that early to wait all day before the stadium to run to the 1st line at the FOS or the catwalk, it's us who cannot wait for preordering and receiving a remastered album, who plan trips for rumoured-gig-dates, get up early to by tickets and celebrate as soon as we hold them in hand, it's us who stay awake or get up in the middle of the night to listen or watch a braodcast or just follow the gig by "cover-it-live"-notes and have tears in our eyes as soon the gig ends and the tour is over. It's us who call for Phil, Stu, Sam and Dallas for a plectrum or a setlist, us playing cards after the gates open until the support starts and we still can't wait for U2 to come. It's us attending all gigs we can no matter if it's more then we thought in the 1st place. We meet friends unknown who've been at even more gigs.

We don't need to do this one could say. But we do because of you.

We don't mind you taking some time to rest, to dream it all up again or just have some holidays. You know that.

All we want is U2 - Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry. The four people and their crew who mean the live to us.

So take the time you need we will be waiting for you, your new music, your new tour - when and where, we will be there, buy the album and the tickets and will be at the venue early in the morning for the moment of our life.

A really good reason to buy another U2 album?

I can give you one: U2!

I can give you four: Bono, Adam, Larry, Edge.

If you need more reasons, count through your crew who enjoyed the tour and if that's not enough count through your fans - everyone a great reason for some more great U2 songs...

• Subscriber

Interesting read. I have to question a couple of the points, though. Wasn't it Eno and Lanois who produced their greatest albums, The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB? I hardly consider these individuals to be insignificant aspects to the U2 sound. They helped carve out that sound over and over again....where their biggest hits are found. I thought they were going in some cool sounding places with NLOTH, personally. I do agree about the single release, though. Maybe the wrong choice and perhaps they have other material that would have been more radio/hit friendly. That's a tough one to call. The industry has changed so much. They really only need one hit to define the album as far as the masses goes anyways but I think it would be nice if they were excited by, and truly believe in the music they're putting out - whether it ends up being commercially viable or not. To stand by their craft. It seems that being too cautious in releasing albums, they become burdened by so much expectation. Maybe if they switch it up and churn out tons of stuff -- throw caution to the wind....out of it something will stick with the masses hit-wise. And for fans who want deeper cuts, there'll be something for them, too. Too long between albums and they become over hyped, and if the build up doesn't meet the expectation, it's a disappointment. I doubt they will suddenly change business strategies to this degree, but they are known for changing course.

Also, isn't U2's demographic audience shifting as they've gotten older? When AB was released, they were barely 30.....drawing an audience from late teens to late 50s, perhaps - a big consumer group in any event...at a time when people still bought music. Are they still able to draw in the younger generation listener en masse....hit or no hit? I'm not sure! The younger generation tastes are pretty eclectic and I'm not sure the big rock band sound is as much a thing as the indie multi-instrumental thing. 

As for JT and R&H, interesting points. I didn't hear Bono putting down the music of this period as much as their status in the industry and of being over exposed with seemingly pretentious leanings. Of being misunderstood, perhaps, and they're having lost faith in themselves, and having gotten too serious, etc. I think Bono is meaning to draw parallels to where they are now in having to re-invent yet again. It can't be an easy thing.  I give them nothing but credit for what they've done all through the years and especially these past 3....pulling off the biggest tour in history with the most amazing shows and sound after everything they've done for music. Kudos to them!

• Subscriber

I think with rattle and hum they had bitten off more that they could chew. The success of the Joshua tree album and tour should have been a time of celebration and a time for the band to be happy. Instead they were very concerned about making the set lists work in stadiums and what they came back what they looked like.

When the cameras were on they looked like they were deep arrogant but they just froze. Out of the comfort zone. I think in the film their performances of bad, Sunday bloody Sunday, exit were very powerful. Faultless and raw. There are more scenes in the film like this than the ones where they suck up America teaching us of their music and the blues. Telling us about this studio to America called sun studios. But did you know Elvis recorded there....I'm sure the locals would know the king recorded there. That is where I think the band got sceen as what they portrayed.

Their creative steak was as good as ever. Desire, heartland, hawkmoon, all I want is you, angel of Harlem, all quality songs. God part 2 was the step towards achtung baby too. Listen to it. It is the fly all over!

I think the rattle and hum is a good album. Its no way shit! No way brilliant. But straight after the Joshua tree? It was all too much U2. But if it wasn't for it, achtung baby wouldn't have happened. And that fly guy? He wouldn't have existed!

No way! Rattle and Hum the film is awesome. That was my first introduction to seeing Bullet the Blue Sky live or Pride, or Where the Streets and Exit. And it was in 35mm. Sweet! It was also beautifully shot. Until this film the only live video I had seen of U2 was Live At Red Rocks. And I had to rent that because it was out of print.

• Subscriber

When your younger and into U2 and get off to rattle and hum like I did you can see they do no wrong. But now when your older it is easy to understand why they got crucified for it and why the band can't stand it.

From the sky down is great. Just wish there was more performances in it. More time spent on music than them telling us stories we already know.

Fact is...in 2011 it's easier and free in most cases simply to download full albums on various sites meaning official unit sales will be down by Millions and Millions.

If The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby had been released today in 2011 the sales would be pitiful and the official sales figures rendered meaningless when it comes to showing just how many people have U2 albums in their collections.

@Daltonsisters

Yeah Danny and Brian did indeed "help carve out sound after sound" but maybe to the point where U2 lost their own sound and became puppets in the hands of these producers. Maybe.

Anyone who has ever been to a U2 concert would have been blown away by the Live sound and sheer power of Larry's drums, Adam's thunderous base and The Edge's screaming, hypnotic Guitar but none of this ever, ever shows up in a U2 studio album...we have the producers to thank for this.

Time to let U2's sound engineers have a go at producing at least one U2 album and keeping that big, raw, powerful sound in the final product and not filter out Larry's drums until they are nothing more than a pitter, patter way off in the distance.