Views on Modesty

xtraspicy62

to answer spicy's question: most teens over here look pretty modest, but you have the obliged exceptions in every classroom. my lena is not the 'sexy' type, like some of her classmates who dress very, very revealing. its just not who she is, so i don really have to hold her back. she has the 'mini'skirts too, but never too mini, if you know what i mean. she has the 'goods' and she wont be able to hide them (unlike her mom, who's rather modest when it comes to curveswink.gif) and i don think she has to hide them. she's a girl, she has a cleavage in some shirts, thats okay. as long as she's not putting it all on display.
she likes to experiment with make up, i was the same, and just as my mom never limited me, i wont stop her either.
if she wanna dye or cut hair, i would just say: be careful, don damage it too much. cause she has nice, curly but fragile hair.
if i thought she would go over the top with make up , i would tell her tho. cause like other moms i don want her to give the wrong impression to boys/men. but seems like she's got a very healthy judgement herself.
as for myself, i am vain, and i know it. i don mind wearing colorful and get noticed. i used to be shy when i was younger, but i learned to be proud of myself, and make the most of my looks. i like personality, people should just wear what they like but with dignity. 
babs, I've seen your pictures with zhivvy, and I think you always look classy....there is a difference to what I am referring to, and I just found a funny video about it....I will post it next.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's about dressing age appropriately, people find thier own style. Professional help can be useful,for feedback.

Kids should be allowed to be kids. Young adults,late teens thru..... having fun with fashion, going all out, trying different stuff,

i went thru punk, goth, super hippy' After 35, I refined my look a bit, I don't want to be baby jane or grey garden look.

i'm small, I like Edun stlye, with yoga pants, flat comfortable shoes, although i have to be careful of going overboard with elf look, green tunic, black belt, leggins.  Vanity !happy.gif

of course there is culturally appropriate, too. some women wear burka, sari, and other headcoverings. 

Sometimes I wear a scarf  for practice.happy.gif

hestia, isnt the burka the whole body thing? Im not sure if its just the head dress part...seems it would get hot under there...but then again, you could hide a whole lot under there which could afford you some lee way as far as having some freedom...while under cover.

I wonder what women who have to wear it feel like....are they uncomfotable?

it would be interesting to google and find out what women are saying, who wear it...

I would ask my Muslim neighbor to show me how to wear stylish scarves, but I'm truly terrified of her male relatives. she seems lonely and always kept in the house. she always smiles at me when I do see her...

one night, I saw her crying (there was an older woman with her) in the laundry...but -Im so sorry- I was too scared to get invloved....

I was walking by one day and one of the older men scolded the other one about looking at me...

"Dont look at her!!!"

and he protested, "Im not looking at her!" repeatedly....

The eldest just scowled at me...this really awful mean stare...jeepers!

I never speak to or look at them any more....

and I always make sure my shirts are zippered and buttoned up to my chin-no kidding...

seriously.

how freaky.

she could help me and I could help her.

but the men stand between us,

and she cries...

• Subscriber

i know what you mean, spicy. i try to be openminded, but something bout cultures, religion and men who try to keep women down, isolated, uneducated even, really makes me mad. and then some say its there choice, and those women want to live like that themselves. but i wonder if that really can be refered to as 'free choice'. as a comparison: the mothers who allow their daughters to suffer FGM are convinced that its the right thing to do, even when they know bout the pain, constant discomfort, infection, even mortality. but only cause they are 'brainwashed' and told their entire life how women who don have it done are no more than whores.

if you are shaped by certain religious believes, you can no longer make an unprejudiced choice, in my opinion.
there was this girl working at my hairdresser who was suffering a lot from her brothers cause she wanted to be a modern, independing woman and wanted to keep her job. and with her job came the responsability to have great, stylish hairdo.but  the first time she had it cut and colored her older brother had hit her so hard... he said she looked like a hooker.frown.gif

i know what you mean, spicy. i try to be openminded, but something bout cultures, religion and men who try to keep women down, isolated, uneducated even, really makes me mad. and then some say its there choice, and those women want to live like that themselves. but i wonder if that really can be refered to as 'free choice'. as a comparison: the mothers who allow their daughters to suffer FGM are convinced that its the right thing to do, even when they know bout the pain, constant discomfort, infection, even mortality. but only cause they are 'brainwashed' and told their entire life how women who don have it done are no more than whores.
if you are shaped by certain religious believes, you can no longer make an unprejudiced choice, in my opinion.
there was this girl working at my hairdresser who was suffering a lot from her brothers cause she wanted to be a modern, independing woman and wanted to keep her job. and with her job came the responsability to have great, stylish hairdo.but  the first time she had it cut and colored her older brother had hit her so hard... he said she looked like a hooker.frown.gif

i agree, and i love what you post so much about these issues...

did you see the stupid girls video a few posts above?

the message is pretty good

Whatever, I pretty much living in a bathing suit. I live on a barrier island on the beach and I really dont care what my hair looks like since its wind blown and salt washed...I could never imagine anyone telling me what or what not to wear.

• Subscriber

i love that video, spicy. was my favourite song for quite some time. i love pink cause she don feel need to have long, blond hair, big boobs, small waist and walk about in lingerie and high heels. do your thing, honey!

and to clarify my story bout the hairdresser, that girl was a Muslima, but born and grew up in belgium.
we were watching police-show tonight, fiction, but it was bout a girl who was forced by her family to marry a man she never met before and go live with him in morocco. and i know these marriages are common in some cultures, but in my opinion; if you brign your family over here, and raise your kids here, you need to accept they'll get different views on life. they take over part of our western culture. if you don want that to happen, you shouldnt come live here.
and just to be clear: i'm no racist. i accept different cultures and colors and all, but those girls should have free choice.

• Subscriber

the fashion solution to my elf problem, (leggings and tunic) is palazzo pants.

i'm thinking but tired.

things get complicated when you think other people should do something. I've always been fortunate to live in a multicultural community. 

Great Pink video.. honest message.happy.gif

i like Katy Perry too, maybe not video appropriate kids... interesting artistically.happy.gif

tired.gif zonk!