Rolling Stone Magazine advice for U2's future...

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Bono: We may lose a few Pop kids along the way...but we don't need them.

I miss the 90's.

If you really think about it, what is 'relevance'? technically speaking, isn't what is "relevant" today "irrelevant" tomorrow?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='jay74 wrote:

pain_18_ wrote:

The Champ']I think U2 should not be so hung up on commercial success and focus on the creative innovation they have become famous for. Commercial success has always followed when they create a great record, whether or not they think they have 4 hit singles on hand. They are game changers and with the state of the music industry/radio/music as a whole, they need to be the ones who change the game again. They did so in the 90s when they added electronic elements to their music, they did so in 2000 when they brought the idea of a rock band to the fore again and they did so with No Line on the Horizon by adding new elements to their songs. Think about it, when they brought back the idea of four guys in a band playing rock music in 2000, so many great bands and an entirely new movement of alternative rock bands like Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, etc ensued. They are innovative leaders and have been for the past 30 years. I'd like to see them do it again, not just for the fans, but for the music world as a whole. If they do successfully create an innovative new record, new fans will be there, relevance will be there, and commercial success will be there. They sure grabbed my attention when I was just 11 years old watching the Super Bowl here in the U.S. back in 2002, never having heard of them before. There's no reason they can't have that effect on some young fans today. The rest falls into place from

I couldn't have put it better myself, this is the point I have tried to make but you have hit the nail on the head there. Commercial success is all well and good but is it really worth selling your artistic soul for?

Precisely! 

Thanks, love! Wouldn't it be earth shaking or is that rocking? wink.gif

If Coldplay's latest effort (one which Brian Eno collaborated on) is anything to go by, then I hope to hell that U2 do not follow the same direction. U2 have nothing left to prove to anyone - they should just focus on making good songs and stop trying so hard to be played on the radio - the guys are in their 50s now for goodness sake, they're not going to have the same appeal to teenagers that they once did. I'd like to hear some new experimental U2 but good old classic U2 as well. If they're too hard pressed to release an album in 2012, then they should at least release an EP, or a series of EPs with various directions in mind - something to demonstrate they're still in the game and interested. I still think they should record the Spiderman soundtrack under their Passengers alias.

You know, they don't even need that kind of comparison. Why compare thereselves to lady gaga? :o 1st of all they are different genre, 2nd they have other kind of fans and 3rd of all lets face it gaga has many tricks to be no1 for one to three years for people to remember her songs. u2 dont need tricks for people to follow them cause their songs are timeproof kinda like and you'll remember in ten years everyone will be reminiscing what and album No Line on the Horizon was and you'll see Unkown Caller and I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight playing in the evenings in rock radios and being on every people's music digital libraries, 'cause they will be classics and there will be no one saying "God, I'm sick of this song" and press del. like they do in 6 months time with many of this Lady Gaga kinda like. They will just listen to it like we now listen the hard rock 70s and 80s big artists like scorpions acdc and many many more, and consider them classics. If U2 continue creating music from the heart like No Line till the end, they will have achieved ysterophymia and a place in all people's hearts. And, remember one thing, as my favourite Billie Joe said: "The second day is always better than the first" ;)

• Subscriber

I really like the idea of reviving the Passengers alias.  That would be interesting and take the pressure off of the band with regards to what material they choose to release.

• Subscriber

If Coldplay's latest effort (one which Brian Eno collaborated on) is anything to go by, then I hope to hell that U2 do not follow the same direction. U2 have nothing left to prove to anyone - they should just focus on making good songs and stop trying so hard to be played on the radio - the guys are in their 50s now for goodness sake, they're not going to have the same appeal to teenagers that they once did. I'd like to hear some new experimental U2 but good old classic U2 as well. If they're too hard pressed to release an album in 2012, then they should at least release an EP, or a series of EPs with various directions in mind - something to demonstrate they're still in the game and interested. I still think they should record the Spiderman soundtrack under their Passengers alias.
I really like the idea of reviving the Passengers alias.  That would be interesting and take the pressure off of the band with regards to what material they choose to release.  They have also, I believe, talked about releasing a series of EPs in the past rather than full albums

• Subscriber

[quote name='The Champ wrote:

Fortitude']If Coldplay's latest effort (one which Brian Eno collaborated on) is anything to go by, then I hope to hell that U2 do not follow the same direction. U2 have nothing left to prove to anyone - they should just focus on making good songs and stop trying so hard to be played on the radio - the guys are in their 50s now for goodness sake, they're not going to have the same appeal to teenagers that they once did. I'd like to hear some new experimental U2 but good old classic U2 as well. If they're too hard pressed to release an album in 2012, then they should at least release an EP, or a series of EPs with various directions in mind - something to demonstrate they're still in the game and interested. I still think they should record the Spiderman soundtrack under their Passengers alias.

I really like the idea of reviving the Passengers alias.  That would be interesting and take the pressure off of the band with regards to what material they choose to release.  They have also, I believe, talked about releasing a series of EPs in the past rather than full albums

E.P.s would be a good idea too. In that way if they want, they could release an E.P. of the dangermouse work, the RedOne work, the Rick Rubin work and the rest of the material left over from No Line...

That would equal to more music, different styles, rather than concentrate on writing a hit single or two, buried with album tracks that are filler. Resulting in another All That You Can't Leave Behind effort. IE playing it safe....

• Subscriber

NLOTH was a marketing disaster from the word go, album artwork already used by someone else, 'magnificent' video looking like a washing powder commercial, too many other artists sticking their fingers into the U2 pie and don't mention the album getting released too early on some version of iTunes and free shared around the world, people will say well look at the sales figures but the sales figures don't take into account fans buying multiple formats (was there 5 can't remember).

I agree with alot of what is written here in my view U2 just need to be themselves take the lead and don't follow what will become yesterdays trend.