U22 flaws and why it doesn't work completely for the Mac

MacFoley

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Song Selection:

I agree with you on the song selection Mac. It seems like the setlist was already picked. It's just a coincidence that they happen to have those significant versions of the songs picked. For us U2.com subscribers, the voting should've gone on further with which versions of the songs. UTEOTW and ISHFWILF versions were significant at that venue, at that time, but other versions would've been better without the added adlibs and instruments (agree with Gibbo). And then there was Bad...yes, that synth track! There were the fillers like Mysterious Ways, Elevation, One and WOWY. That could've easily been replaced by rarities like: Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, HMTMKMKM and Spanish Eyes. I did like the inclusion of One Tree Hill, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, Ultraviolet, Beautiful Day (with the celtic intro) and the new version of EBTTRT. I do give them props for leaving out Crazy. I still applaud U2.com for coming up with this.

Audio Quality:

I have the rare chance of playing the U22 CD over a line array P.A. system (ones used in concerts), since I'm in the live audio business. It sounded great for the most part. Yes, it's going to sound different from one song to the other, due to the different venues and weather conditions. There's only so much you can do in post production and mastering. They would've combined recordings straight from Joe's audio console and ambient mics setup around the venues for that "live" feel. I also played it in my car stereo system (Boston Acoustics car audio) and through my headphones (Shure SRH990). It all sounded "big". In Zooropa, it did sound compressed when the band came in (in my car stereo system and headphones), but not through the P.A.

In the end, this was a great concept for us fans/subscribers. U2.com should do a My Playlist with us subscribers. Having us pick songs for our personal playlist, and give an insight on each song. There are those that are regulars on here, I think they should have a go at My Playlist. With the U22 CD, I've edited each song to fade in, at the beginning, and fade out at the end. From that, I made my own U2 Live playlist that combines some of the songs from U22, and other past live tracks from Slane DVD, Vertigo DVD, Under A Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum DVD, Elevation DVD and PopMart Tour DVD.

Not everyone though has a PA to listen to the cd. 

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

bflorendo']Song Selection:

I agree with you on the song selection Mac. It seems like the setlist was already picked. It's just a coincidence that they happen to have those significant versions of the songs picked. For us U2.com subscribers, the voting should've gone on further with which versions of the songs. UTEOTW and ISHFWILF versions were significant at that venue, at that time, but other versions would've been better without the added adlibs and instruments (agree with Gibbo). And then there was Bad...yes, that synth track! There were the fillers like Mysterious Ways, Elevation, One and WOWY. That could've easily been replaced by rarities like: Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, HMTMKMKM and Spanish Eyes. I did like the inclusion of One Tree Hill, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, Ultraviolet, Beautiful Day (with the celtic intro) and the new version of EBTTRT. I do give them props for leaving out Crazy. I still applaud U2.com for coming up with this.

Audio Quality:

I have the rare chance of playing the U22 CD over a line array P.A. system (ones used in concerts), since I'm in the live audio business. It sounded great for the most part. Yes, it's going to sound different from one song to the other, due to the different venues and weather conditions. There's only so much you can do in post production and mastering. They would've combined recordings straight from Joe's audio console and ambient mics setup around the venues for that "live" feel. I also played it in my car stereo system (Boston Acoustics car audio) and through my headphones (Shure SRH990). It all sounded "big". In Zooropa, it did sound compressed when the band came in (in my car stereo system and headphones), but not through the P.A.

In the end, this was a great concept for us fans/subscribers. U2.com should do a My Playlist with us subscribers. Having us pick songs for our personal playlist, and give an insight on each song. There are those that are regulars on here, I think they should have a go at My Playlist. With the U22 CD, I've edited each song to fade in, at the beginning, and fade out at the end. From that, I made my own U2 Live playlist that combines some of the songs from U22, and other past live tracks from Slane DVD, Vertigo DVD, Under A Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum DVD, Elevation DVD and PopMart Tour DVD.

Not everyone though has a PA to listen to the cd. And that's my point....not sure how much they did when it came down to mastering it...if they tried to leave as much of it the same, or adapt to the mediums that the regular U2 fan will play it through. They usually have several "stems" when they master...eg, 5.1 surround, radio broadcast, 2 trk, promos, etc.

• Subscriber

I love the new version of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for and also the synthy bits on Bad. It's good to get new tweaks to old favourites. When the Joshua Tree came out I always fast forwarded through Still Haven't Found but must I love it now.

U22 is my favourite U2 album ever ;0)

• Subscriber

The synth on Bad, has been around for a few tours now so I'm surprised to hear folks mentioning it.

When i first heard it, I was like...w.t.f.?

But I guess I'm used to it now, and for some reason it gives me a 'sailor lost at sea vibe'. Must have been some old movie I watched somewhere. For me it works somehow, but they mix it way too high.

I agree with Mac. Great concept by U2.com, let down by the voting. Also the curse of the live album...'I heard that song performed much better here.' A complete show is the way for future releases of live performances.

I feel Rattle and Hum (album) is a stronger document, even though it's pulled from different venues as well, they selected real crackerjack live performances on that one.

pimp.gif

• Subscriber

The synth on Bad, has been around for a few tours now so I'm surprised to hear folks mentioning it.

When i first heard it, I was like...w.t.f.?

But I guess I'm used to it now, and for some reason it gives me a 'sailor lost at sea vibe'. Must have been some old movie I watched somewhere. For me it works somehow, but they mix it way too high.

I agree with Mac. Great concept by U2.com, let down by the voting. Also the curse of the live album...'I heard that song performed much better here.' A complete show is the way for future releases of live performances.

I feel Rattle and Hum (album) is a stronger document, even though it's pulled from different venues as well, they selected real crackerjack live performances on that one.

pimp.gif

Not really...I just found a Way better and more powerful version of "All along the Watchtower" from the LoveTown  tour, good, rare and perfect performance...so there you have it........

• Subscriber

Rattle and hum preceded Love-town.

But you have a point because time is irrelevant, and Love Town was Super Duper.

pimp.gif

Yes, what we're saying has sense in the light of the fact that if they had had more patience and waited to have a wider pool of songs to choose from, Rattle and Hum would have eneded up an even greater album, it's a very good album anyway, all U2 songs are beyond greatness !!!