Why no Cardiff tracks on U22??

adamapple

I've listened to U22 and enjoyed it. However, having been fortunate enough to go to a number of 360 shows of which many feature on the U22 compilation, I couldn't believe no Cardiff tracks made it. Especially after being to the Wembley gigs just before Cardiff, which didn't compare yet made it on to the release. I've been to many U2 gigs down the years but Cardiff wasn't just the best U2 gig I've been to, but the best gig of any band I've seen.

I have to admit I've felt for some years that U2's live releases have become increasingly based on what they think looks cool on a disc cover rather than what sounds best. This was certainly the case with the U2360 Rose Bowl dvd where they chose an extremely large but static Hollywood crowd to form the backdrop for the film by which the 360 tour would be remembered. Not a great decision.

Also, I experienced many uplifting performances of Still Haven't Found on the 360 tour but U22 contains a version from South Africa which is not representative of this, and I'm pretty sure has been included because it looks politically cool (Bono and Africa and all that, blah blah)

U2  really need to go back and look at that Rose Bowl dvd release and then they might realise why Coldplay are now the greatest live act in the world, even if a U2 gig is still my No1 fav of all time.

But Pasadena is the weakest show of the 7 I saw in 2009. Other than 'I"ll Go Crazy' from that show, it's a by the numbers performance. Norman and Las Vegas were easily a better place to mine U22 tracks from than Pasadena. Heck, Glendale, Arlington, Houston and Vancouver all had a better vibe than Pasadena.

I've listened to U22 and enjoyed it. However, having been fortunate enough to go to a number of 360 shows of which many feature on the U22 compilation, I couldn't believe no Cardiff tracks made it. Especially after being to the Wembley gigs just before Cardiff, which didn't compare yet made it on to the release. I've been to many U2 gigs down the years but Cardiff wasn't just the best U2 gig I've been to, but the best gig of any band I've seen.

I have to admit I've felt for some years that U2's live releases have become increasingly based on what they think looks cool on a disc cover rather than what sounds best. This was certainly the case with the U2360 Rose Bowl dvd where they chose an extremely large but static Hollywood crowd to form the backdrop for the film by which the 360 tour would be remembered. Not a great decision.

Also, I experienced many uplifting performances of Still Haven't Found on the 360 tour but U22 contains a version from South Africa which is not representative of this, and I'm pretty sure has been included because it looks politically cool (Bono and Africa and all that, blah blah)

U2  really need to go back and look at that Rose Bowl dvd release and then they might realise why Coldplay are now the greatest live act in the world, even if a U2 gig is still my No1 fav of all time.

I still haven't gotten U22 so I haven't heard any tracks on it yet... I can't speak for Cardiff BUT I was really surprised that not 1 song from Croke Park made it on there... And like-wise with the 360 Rose Bowl dvd, I was a little surprised it wasn't set in Croker - 80'000+ Home Town gig (Maybe next tour??)

• Subscriber

[quote name='gary-paul wrote:

adamapple']

I still haven't gotten U22 so I haven't heard any tracks on it yet... I can't speak for Cardiff BUT I was really surprised that not 1 song from Croke Park made it on there... And like-wise with the 360 Rose Bowl dvd, I was a little surprised it wasn't set in Croker - 80'000+ Home Town gig (Maybe next tour??)It does look rather tame on the dvd, but the Rose Bowl was electric down on the field - don't know why it didn't seem to translate to film

• Subscriber

[quote name='pain_18_ wrote:

Sigma957']The Sheffield radio broadcast was amazing. No Line On the Horizon from that show, just wow.

U2 2009-08-20 360 Sheffield (Hallam FM Broadcast) FLAC

Where can I download it?I have the sheffield show, but it's mp3 and it hasn't a very good quality.

• Subscriber

I agreed with all this till I nearly fainted at the thought someone thinks coldplay are the greatest live act in the world!

You been smokin somethin??roll.gif