THE JOSHUA TREE

zoocat

• Subscriber

Is simply the best U2 album so far. If it is an image they have forever tried to play down, on the flip side it is the most successful music they have ever made. Maybe they did get a bit pompous during Rattle and Hum, but I thought the image was totally cool up till then. And I must have better seats or standing position next time they come down under. I was just too bloody far away from the centre of the action last time.

Over and out.

I never got the impression U2 were being pompous in the Rattle and Hum. I thought it was cool that they were interested in the blues and some such. Although Joshua Tree is the album that got me started with U2 in early 1987, I have also noticed the longevity of 'Boy'. What a BRILLIANT album. Now and until the end of time. While I grew weary of 'With Or Without You', 'Where the Streets' and 'I Still haven't Found' I have never grown weary of any song off of 'Boy'.

• Subscriber

Yes you are right, Boy was an excellent debut album from a very promising group of lads. I too am a fan. For me U2 s music has gone back and forth over the years, they tend to take the best bits with them onto the next project while introducing something new into the mix at the same time. With The Joshua Tree it seemed to me that they moulded something completely from where they were at. I listen to Boy, October, War and The Unforgettable Fire, and then I listen to the Joshua Tree and it has its own feel. Then comes the trilogy of Achtung Baby, Zooropa and PoP, a similar theme on those three . Then comes the brilliant All that you cant leave behind, and equally impressive HTDAAB. I initially thought NLOTH was the best thing since sliced bread, but then I slapped my self in the face. There are some great songs on NLOTH, but as a complete package you just can,t beat Josh. Also I slap myself again because I think pompous was a bit of a harsh term. Perhaps they were just pissed off about something. I get pissed off too. And you are right they did get down and dirty with the Blues.