Policing Of The Site

scout6

• Subscriber

Regarding the overall theme of the thread (less-than-civilized language & images), I was going to post a video of Robin Williams singing 'Blame Canada' at a past Academy Awards show because it's the theme of that song. But Robin does say a swear word in the middle of it, so... (He says the 'b' word - & no, I don't mean 'Bono.' :)) The song is from South Park.

But I highly recommend folks check it out on YouTube for fun! Just do a YouTube search for this: Robin sings.

Edited by Alma1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Just musing, I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the distance between band and audience at gigs, Larry said a similar thing about Glasto, funny how their own site keeps their most devoted audience very distant from them and their news for years, we're not even at arms length, feels quite us and them. Ironic really.

Good point, Anjana.  I've thought the same.

Yep, I've thought it as well!

• Subscriber

It is not about what 13 - 18 yr olds are or are not "offended" by. Teenagers don't set standards. Grownups do. For God's sake, if we left it up to what 13 - 18 yr olds want, we'd have what some u2.com users want - anything goes. Ain't happenin. Nor should it.

• Subscriber

It is not about what 13 - 18 yr olds are or are not "offended" by. Teenagers don't set standards. Grownups do. For God's sake, if we left it up to what 13 - 18 yr olds want, we'd have what some u2.com users want - anything goes. Ain't happenin. Nor should it.

Where you say "some u2ers" you mean the hundreds of awesome adults that used to have a brilliant and free time here right?

The ones that could be adults in the company of other adults as we all knew there's not a 14 year old in the world that's hanging out in here, right?

And you're right. It "ain't happening"

That's the exact reason no-one comes here any more.

• Community Manager

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

Hey BW quick questionhow can a picture of an album cover by THIS band be deemed unsuitable for their own website>?

Probably best explained by Steve Averill in his talk at the weekend at the U2 Conference (why that image was used, and then subsequently 'edited'). As far as the Zoo goes, it falls under the no nudity policy in the House Rules. Might seem a contradiction as it was used unedited on the album originally, but this has come up before many times in the zoo and those who posted it again recently are aware that we have asked before it doesn't get posted, yet like to cause a stir and post it regardless just for that reason I suspect.

I guess its all about context. 

• Community Manager

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

Bigwave, is that u in your avatar pic? Why am I getting that 'in love' feeling now? Women are human & now our hearts will go out to you & embrace you because you are such a teddy bear!

What can we do for you? How can we make you happy? (Within the bounds of what is legal & ethical & all that.) Look at what u have done. (Does your wife know u r using a teddy bear selfie pic?) There will probably be BigWave poetry written now, but others will not admit to it. Certainly this is not what Scout intended when she started this thread.

:) Thats me in Palestine. 

This is Ted. We are quite similar in some ways.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 10.51.33.png

Creativity makes me happy. I am not always in a creative mood and its a quality I admire in others.

What about you Alma, what makes you happy?

• Community Manager

Where you say "some u2ers" you mean the hundreds of awesome adults that used to have a brilliant and free time here right?

The ones that could be adults in the company of other adults as we all knew there's not a 14 year old in the world that's hanging out in here, right?

And you're right. It "ain't happening"

That's the exact reason no-one comes here any more.

nice to see you back Mick :)

• Subscriber

Hey BW quick questionhow can a picture of an album cover by THIS band be deemed unsuitable for their own website>?

Probably best explained by Steve Averill in his talk at the weekend at the U2 Conference (why that image was used, and then subsequently 'edited'). As far as the Zoo goes, it falls under the no nudity policy in the House Rules. Might seem a contradiction as it was used unedited on the album originally, but this has come up before many times in the zoo and those who posted it again recently are aware that we have asked before it doesn't get posted, yet like to cause a stir and post it regardless just for that reason I suspect.

I guess its all about context. 

UUUUGHHH! It's such a shame I missed that streaming. A fineartist and a fan of his work like me!  :D 

The images and the context. I understand that a website like this nowadays is a delicate context if you think about what's happening in the world with teenagers and nude images online, and not precisely with artistic purposes