339,000 Watch Gay Byrne's Bono Interview

gary-paul

339,000 people watched Gay Byrne’s interview with Bono for last night’s episode of The Meaning of Life.

The hour-long programme had a 25% share of the audience, according to TAM Ireland Ltd/Nielson TAM.

In the interview, the U2 front man discussed his upbringing, the death of his mother when he was aged 14, and his early involvement with the Shalom Christian group in Dublin.

He also discussed his activism, his faith, and also responded to on-going criticism of his tax affairs, saying: "The shock horror moment here is U2 behaving like a business. We live on a small rock in the north Atlantic and we would be underwater were it not for very clever people working in goverment and in the revenue who made tax competitiveness a central part of Irish economic life and is the reason we have companies like Google and Facebook and, indeed, I helped bring those companies to Ireland.

"So it's more than churlish for Irish people to say well we don't want an Irish company involved in that stuff but we do want everybody else to be," Bono continued. "We [u2] do pay a lot of tax but we are tax sensible as every business is and why is it that because I'm invovled in these, as some people say, idealistic things, why can't U2 be tough in business? I think U2's tax business is our own business and I think it's not just to the letter of the law, it is to the spirit of the law."

The interview is currently the most-watched programme on the RTÉ Player :

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10160091/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I feel like I have been waiting 30 years for this interview.  Questions I never thought would be asked.  And Bono is open and honest, not dodging anything, not embarressed.  Right on, right on.

• Subscriber

I feel like I have been waiting 30 years for this interview.  Questions I never thought would be asked.  And Bono is open and honest, not dodging anything, not embarressed.  Right on, right on.

Well said..I wanted to listen again before I commented and couldn't agree more with your comment. Bono usually doesn't say as much as he did in this interview or the Focus On The Family interview and what he said about death by cupcake. :lol: Both, very good interview and very insightful hearing Bono's thoughts on God. Not afraid to speak, well..since when is Bono ever really afraid to speak his mind and usually you don't get to hear his inner thoughts about Christianity and both interviews he is well spoken(as always)Wish he could be write or speak more on this subject because I would really like to hear more. What he said about miracles. "I have no problems with miracles. I am living around them, I am one." Love this. :wub: If Bono were to teach the scriptures and I know he could. It would be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Moderator

I just got to watch this the other day.  I agree with Janette.  This is probably the best interview I've ever seen him do.  So deep and so personal.  And it was about him, not just about the world saving projects he does.