Archiving Sux...but Whateva...

razspazz

• Subscriber

'So, I really don't know what I'm doing here..'

So, this really dosen't deserve a thread, but since the new fashion seems to be archiving threads (or terminating them?) here goes.....

Caught The Cure by accident in Honalulu, and the show was superb. A couple of things caught my attention:

They sound GREAT!

They played 3 and a half hours, with only 2 two minute breaks between encores! WOW @ the drummer for keeping that up!

The show was like an old Pub Show, what I mean is folks were ambling about, trying to shout/chat over the music, coming and going, You could estimate peoples ages by the way they responded to songs, it was weird, cathartic, messy and awesome all at once.

ADSC03829.jpg

But this little ramble all brings me to my main point, after the show i did a little digging around and found this xcellent interview where BOB talks about his guitars, and his methodology, it's a great read for any players out there who, like me, missed it when it was current.

snippet that caught my attention:

"The pedals are always set so that they look right. That sounds a bit stupid, but, in a strange way, it works. There are four knobs on the delay, and they're all set at 12 o'clock - apart from the knob on the far right, which is set slightly off from 12 o'clock at 800 milliseconds. That's an unfortunate design - Boss obviously didn't have me in mind when they made that pedal [laughs]. On the chorus, the left hand knob is at ten o'clock, and the right knob is at two o'clock. It's symmetrical. This isn't insane you know! If you've played enough, you sort of know what something is going to sound like by looking at it."

check it out; the full interview here:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/guitar_gardens.html

Edited by razspazz

• Subscriber

Hey razspazz, I thought I'd respond to your blog for you just so it won't get archived (since, if I understand correctly, they're archived if they go 30 days w/out a reply). But then I actually read your blog - & it's very worthy!!! Thanks for posting it.

I absolutely love some of The Cure's music. And all the stuff u put here about that show - but especially about the guitars & methodology - is interesting. I personally don't happen to have time to check out the entire interview, but it's great that it's here for anyone who has the time to check that out. :)

Edited by Alma1

• Subscriber

You caught the Cure by accident and it was in Honolulu??? That alone makes it awesome.  3 1/2 hours with hardly a break!!! Messy, cathartic, awesome!!! People coming and going like in a pub!!! That just makes it incredible. 

• Subscriber

Hey Alma1, thanks for info about archiving, I get it now.

Do yourself a favour and give yourself a little time to read the whole interview, I thought it was fascina(tion Street)ting.

And yes, Janette, we were on the Bus on the way back from the Haleiwa Arts Festival, and it goes past the stadium, and by chance timing as we crossed the intersection a neon sign flashed 'CURE'.

Done deal.

Edited by razspazz