Anniversary Of Elvis

• Subscriber

When I looked at my mobile this morn and saw it was 16th Aug immediately I associated it with Elvis..funny how that date is engrained, it's like Nov 22nd is intrinsically linked to JFK

Edited by Anjana

I still remember where I was when I found out Elvis had died.  I was 6 years old and raced downstairs all ready to begin the day when I was quickly hushed by my mom who told me the funeral procession on the morning news,  I made the mistake of saying "who's Elvis?" and my Father exclaimed "The King of Rock N'Roll, now shhh"

• Subscriber

When I was in a store yesterday where there was music over the loud-speakers, I was happy to hear Elvis starting to sing. (I can't remember which song played, though I know it wasn't 1 of the big hits.)

I said this to the person I was with: The drummer of U2 is a fan of Elvis & he named one of his children Aaron Elvis. :)

• Subscriber

Hey, 123love - I can't even play that 'Memories' song - too sad! But good stuff. Great music!

From memory (no pun intended):

Memories - pressed between the pages of my mind.

Memories - sweetened through the ages just like wine.

Quiet thoughts come floating down

& settle softly to the ground

...I touch them & they burst apart

w/sweet memories."

Can't get into the part about red bouquets, etc, because I hate it being so sad - but obviously a classic. Great song.

• Subscriber

I still remember where I was when I found out Elvis had died.  I was 6 years old and raced downstairs all ready to begin the day when I was quickly hushed by my mom who told me the funeral procession on the morning news,  I made the mistake of saying "who's Elvis?" and my Father exclaimed "The King of Rock N'Roll, now shhh"

I was a child, too, in elementary school. I don't remember the exact timing of his death in relation to this, but I was so happy that he was going to be coming to the city where I lived to do a concert & I was determined to get to that concert. The problem was this: it was well-known that you would have to sleep outdoors overnight in line - in order to be assured of getting a ticket. (No internet purchases back then because people didn't have internet at home - & if they had pay-by-phone, the concept was alien to me & was something my mom didn't do.)

Obviously my mom forbade me from going to sleep outdoors overnight downtown because I was just a little girl. That's it, I decided - my older brother had to do it for me. Certainly he would know how important this was & wouldn't deny me this favor! Lol. But he didn't see 'the importance' of it! Sleep outside overnight - on a sidewalk!? For what? Nope. Lol. And then, not long afterwards, Elvis passed away - into history. I was so sorry he passed away, but the indelible impression it made on me was that I knew I'd never get to see him in concert.